Madison Scouts 2017

7 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

WTF? I'm so confused about the Scouts scores this year.

You and me both. What a roller coaster. 

• Like 2

Glad to see Madison close the gap with Blue Stars tonight!

• Like 6

Great to see the "8" at the start of the score. And the cruising up on Blue Stars and past Mandarins. Hope the guys know there is terrific support for them out there.

• Like 3

However this season turns out the Scouts are determined to scrap until the last man is standing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

However this season turns out the Scouts are determined to scrap until the last man is standing.

I'm in Indy all three nights. Expecting to see the Scouts all three nights, too.

• Like 3

I am thrilled to see that this show is starting to score higher. I saw it in Lisle and enjoyed it, despite some of the vitriol I'd seen on DCP. I made sure I told every member I saw in the lot afterward that I'd enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I've never seen a Mad Max movie, but when I watch the show I see masculine characters in a dystopian world, and I'm buying what they're selling. The energy from the members is real, and when I saw the show again in San Antonio, I saw great improvement. I am making my first trip to finals, and I am really hoping I'll be cheering for Madison all three nights!

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, 80sFlagGirl said:

I am thrilled to see that this show is starting to score higher. I saw it in Lisle and enjoyed it, despite some of the vitriol I'd seen on DCP. I made sure I told every member I saw in the lot afterward that I'd enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I've never seen a Mad Max movie, but when I watch the show I see masculine characters in a dystopian world, and I'm buying what they're selling. The energy from the members is real, and when I saw the show again in San Antonio, I saw great improvement. I am making my first trip to finals, and I am really hoping I'll be cheering for Madison all three nights!

Thank you for the kind words about this year's Scout Program! I agree with you that it is a great modern project and it deserves to be showcased in the top 12 this year at DCI finals.

• Like 3

Just curious does anybody have any ideas on why such a wild ride with the Scouts' scores this year?

19 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Just curious does anybody have any ideas on why such a wild ride with the Scouts' scores this year?

Two guesses:

1) It's such a radical departure from what they've done (or anyone else has) that judges score it low on first sight until they can figure out how to judge what they're seeing/hearing.

2) Because it's such an out-of-the-box performative concept, it relies heavily on how much/hard the corps members sell what they're doing each night...moreso than other shows. So if the corps is having a particularly "on" or "off" night in terms of salesmanship of concept, that could be reflected more in the scores than otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80sFlagGirl said:

They had a really great run in San Antonio, way more energetic than it was in Belton live.