Madison Scouts 2017

25 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Two guesses:

1) It's such a radical departure from what they've done (or anyone else has) that judges score it low on first sight until they can figure out how to judge what they're seeing/hearing.

2) Because it's such an out-of-the-box performative concept, it relies heavily on how much/hard the corps members sell what they're doing each night...moreso than other shows. So if the corps is having a particularly "on" or "off" night in terms of salesmanship of concept, that could be reflected more in the scores than otherwise.

Yes I was kind of thinking the same thing. But, I was not sure. Thank you for that confirmation!

3 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Yes I was kind of thinking the same thing. But, I was not sure. Thank you for that confirmation!

To be clear: those are both guesses, and I won't see the show live until a week from today. But they seem logical. (Which might be a point against them, given that it's drum corps scoring.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

To be clear: those are both guesses, and I won't see the show live until a week from today. But they seem logical. (Which might be a point against them, given that it's drum corps scoring.)

Those seem like good guesses. It is an unusual show, particularly compared to much around them.

I'm really impressed that they are sticking with it and putting so much of themselves into it. The guys must know how some people are receiving the look and show. And yet they appear to be working their tails off for all its worth. Heard two sets of parents in the seats around me at San Antonio saying their sons are digging the show and being mean and bold.

As much as a lot of Scout purists don't like it I personally think they have something to build on here.  They sure had to change something to keep up with modern DCI. 

• Like 4

sometimes to institute change, you have to go way outside your comfort zone before you can reel it back into what you feel adequate.

• Like 4

On 7/24/2017 at 11:03 PM, BlueByYou2000 said:

You and me both. What a roller coaster. 

I am completely in shock at the scores that Scouts have received this season.  They really stepped up their game, came up with a completely new concept - something that has never been done before!  Seems like maybe the judges are just partial or this is just uber political.  Things that really irritate me on scoring:

1.  Mandarins are much improved, but, have no where near the sound, or difficulty - music and choreography.  Yet - throw in a well known tune - Sound of Silence and watch the scores go high.  Not even in the same tier as Madison - not even close!

2.  I am a huge Crown fan, however, their show this year is a complete miss and all the singing...ugh!  Their horn line sound is still undeniable.  Everything else is not of the same Crown caliber.

3.  Boston is much improved and has that great horn line.  The show is macabre, but very good.  Singing here works...but, the stripper-esque guard in babydoll nighties with dances on poles, with rifles, and giving crotch shots to the audience is so tacky and adds nothing to the show in my opinion.  If the guard added some class, this would elevate their program.

4.  I have had the chance to see each of these shows multiple times - Madison makes more changes and adds complexity everytime - like seeing a completely new version every time.  That is exciting!  Your eyes don't know where to look!

5.  I am a also a huge Bluecoats fan, however, this show seems just like a partial copy of last year - let's put a big huge prop on the field and run and climb all over it.  Plus, let's mic strategic places to artificially enhance the real sound (especially when facing back field).  Their sound is undeniable and their uniforms are awesome this year!  I am ready for them to put a show on the field where they don't have to use the jungle gym effect - Kinetic Noise used huge spheres to climb on.  Last year, the slip n' slides, and this year the huge prop in the middle to climb on.  I truly expect them to be way more creative then this.

6.  And what about the first part of the season with the Cavies throwing in a "dick pic" joke with their audio track?  Ugh...really?!!!  Cavies have removed it now and I am a huge Cavies fan - they were my first drum corps crush and their show and uniform change is great this year!

I am a huge Drum Corps Fan and I am just sick of the nature of the drum corps beast - that judging rarely changes, they are not giving credit where credit is due, they are afraid for drum corps to evolve and move into the 21st century - these corps do NOT have to be your fathers' corps!  And they seem to just stick to the same 5 corps at the top. Mixing it up a little - like last year with the Bluecoats winning.  

Edited by Kk4travel
Punctuation
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 2:09 AM, MotoSurfBass said:

I mean, I know we all blocked out Relampago from our collective memories, but... 

Edited by Kk4travel
replied to the wrong person

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, Kk4travel said:

You completely misread me. FlamMan was saying this show was the least entertaining and interesting show Madison had ever done, and I STRONGLY disagreed with him. I happened to point out a universally disliked show in response, to point out how absurd he was being.

I love Scouts. My best friend marched Scouts. My brother marched Scouts. I was a final cut from my section for Scouts and am still friends with many members of that year's corps. I will NEVER be a hater of the Madison Scouts. Do not mistake me for anything even resembling a hater of ANY corps. 

Edited by JohnZ
content violating community guidelines removed
  • Like 2