Madison Scouts 2017

Ok Scouts....time for the staff to add some GE...as I stated in previous posts.  Better overall show (more difficult than Mandarins). Just needs more oomph musically!   IMHO.  Finals!!!!

• Like 2

I agree...it's missing something. Not sure what to add but it lacks. The GE Mandarins and BC are putting out there is impressive and exciting. It was good to see Scouts live tonight. I applaud the Men for their work, but I'm just not a fan of the product when you compare it to others..namely Boston whose staff hit a homerun with that show concept.

Some good moments, but nothing that just blew me up out of my seat.

• Like 1

New video posted from their rehearsal today (Thursday). As others have echoed in show reviews from the last week, the corps proper is really starting to buy into this show and sell it. Between the Lafayette video and this one (just two days), the performance levels went up astoundingly (again, it was a rehearsal video today...no idea what the run tonight was like). I got chills at multiple points throughout the run. As long as you're a lover of passionate performance, this show will do it for you, no matter how nontraditional it is. As I've mentioned many times, I have no skin in the game with any corps, I just like to see groups improving and taking steps to better themselves, and I still firmly believe that two weeks of growth will see this show as a positive step for the Scouts. 

In response to previous posts, the show is missing a little something, and I think it's all it needs to really jump: a few more pauses and "set aside" arrival moments. It sounds counterintuitive, but there need to be more breaks for the show to come off as balls-to-the-walls as it truly is. While there are some great ones now, it still seems too monolithic; just a big block of fast and powerful that isn't too varied. A few pauses and a few more highlighted moments would really reveal the show for what it is: non-stop intensity. Again, seems counterintuitive to reveal high intensity by adding in low intensity moments, but I think a few more of those is the only thing that's needed.

I love love love Mandarins this season, but I believe Scouts will continue to increase their lead throughout the next two weeks, eventually hanging with (and potentially topping) Stars & Xmen. Now that I've seen large swaths of performance energy and the members selling the show, as opposed to just hints, the sky is the limit for the next two weeks.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I feel certain that the VAST MAJORITY of Scouts alumni support this 2017 edition of the corps...that goes with being a MADISON SCOUT!

And that support will be very apparent when you see the reception they will receive on Thursday, Friday AND SATURDAY nights in Indy.

Well thus far, the crowd reception to this show has been crickets.

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

If a Corps went from 1st in Quarterfinals ( won it ), went to 14th in Semifinals, thus failing to make Finals, that sure would make for interesting discussions here on DCP, no doubt about it. Will this ever happen ? Well, i think we know the answer to that.

The closest to something like this occuring ever in DCI  was in the mid 70's when a Canadian Corps ( De La Salle Oaklands ? ) finished 1st in Percussion in Prelims ( they won Drums ! ), but that entire Percussion section had to watch Finals from the stands along with the rest of their Corps, as their Corps overall failed to make Finals. They finiished 14th I believe in the Prelims.

In 1977, the Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders won Drums in prelims, while the corps finished in 15th place & missed finals. This drum line was under the direction of Tom Float. The were clean as hell.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I feel certain that the VAST MAJORITY of Scouts alumni support this 2017 edition of the corps...that goes with being a MADISON SCOUT!

And that support will be very apparent when you see the reception they will receive on Thursday, Friday AND SATURDAY nights in Indy.

I my opinion that is way off. I believe that the Alumni whole heartedly support the Corp. but do not support this show musically and or esp visually. After a bit I got excited about the costumes. I thought this might be a wild and crazy show, which to wear that type of costume it would have to be. But the show to me really just lays there. really no WTF moments. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlamMan said:

In 1977, the Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders won Drums in prelims, while the corps finished in 15th place & missed finals. This drum line was under the direction of Tom Float. The were clean as hell.

Good call on the Crusaders, I was going to reply. Great show!

17 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Agreed. I have problems keeping my mouth shut and thinking before I type and hit "submit reply" but I want every corps to be successful. It only makes things more fun and interesting.

I must say that I did laugh when he said "Marching Musical Theater and Yoga."  That is a funnny descriptor, and it reminded me of what many percussion vets at Devs articulated when I was there in 2010.  The joke was that we should call the corps the Blue Devils Visual & Bugle corps due to the amount of time we spent on the move in ensemble type rehearsals or working visual stuff rather than getting sectionals time to work on just drumming.

• Like 1

Uniforms, err a costume does not a show make.

• Like 1