Madison Scouts 2017

They look like a modern DCI corps with an awesome show! And the you people love it!!! 

• Like 1

I remember Scott Stewart giving us a talk right before we went on the field in Miami for DCI Finals in 1983.  He told us with the classical opener, white Eisenhower uniforms, different visual program, etc. the scores didn't truly reflect the uniqueness of that show. He said that in the future the recordings and videos would bare witness to the innovation of that show. I feel the same about the 2017 Scouts. History will show regardless of placement that this show was one of the most innovative shows in DCI for 2017. Granted some people may not like the theme, music, etc. But everyone is different and has different tastes. Personally I love this show! In my opinion it was a shock to the system and under appreciated. Bravo Madison!!! 2017 Trailblazers!!! No matter what anyone does there will always be naysayers. Just stay above the fray and do what ever is necessary for the times or you will no longer be relevant, period!

42 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

They look like a modern DCI corps with an awesome show! And the you people love it!!! 

Not sure what you meant here but this is the first year I can remember ever truly completely disliking a Madison show. Even relampago was better than this even though I hated those uniforms as well. . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madcityscout said:

I remember Scott Stewart giving us a talk right before we went on the field in Miami for DCI Finals in 1983.  He told us with the classical opener, white Eisenhower uniforms, different visual program, etc. the scores didn't truly reflect the uniqueness of that show. He said that in the future the recordings and videos would bare witness to the innovation of that show. I feel the same about the 2017 Scouts. History will show regardless of placement that this show was one of the most innovative shows in DCI for 2017. Granted some people may not like the theme, music, etc. But everyone is different and has different tastes. Personally I love this show! In my opinion it was a shock to the system and under appreciated. Bravo Madison!!! 2017 Trailblazers!!! No matter what anyone does there will always be naysayers. Just stay above the fray and do what ever is necessary for the times or you will no longer be relevant, period!

Thats a real stretch.  This show is nothing different than all the other shows besides a costume instead of uniform.  Different for the Madison program? Yes Innovative in all DCI? Not really

• Like 3

If there is something crazy inventive or ground-breaking in Madison's show this year, I'm too dense to see it. It's not the costumes. They're out there, but these particular one-and-done costumes, made for use in 2017 and for no other season, are by virtue of their intended short shelf-life not going to set any trend. We'll never see this costume in DCI again. Costumes have become disposable. Disposable costuming may be a game-changer, but Madison didn't invent it.

It's not the theme. Dark, angry, moody productions are neither new nor likely to become the general standard for drum-corps programming. We will see dark, angry shows in the future. We will see all varieties of shows in the future. Madison isn't driving the bus on this one.

It's not the music. The Scouts did not invent the choppy, impact-to-impact form of programming. The Scouts are performing, at a high level, a type of musical arrangement that has been around for many years and shows no signs of abating. This season, I would point to BAC as the most prominent example of this kind of music -- lots of power chords, tight chops, impact points, but precious little melody that carries a listener across whole whole minutes of time. To a lesser extent, I'd include Cavaliers, too. The Scouts aren't bending the curve with their music this year.

They do what they do well. I just wouldn't call it transformational. 

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SFZFAN said:

Not sure what you meant here but this is the first year I can remember ever truly completely disliking a Madison show. Even relampago was better than this even though I hated those uniforms as well. . 

I meant the young people love this show!!

13 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

I meant the young people love this show!!

Got it.