Madison Scouts 2017

18 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Madison is taking a big gamble starting so late.   There are no indoor  practice facilities at Trafalgar so if there is bad weather for even a  few days they are at risk of not being ready for their first show.   Not being   ready will be a disaster for Madison.  Blue Stars, Crossmen and Boston will  crush them first week out.  Money was the reason for the late start. Trafalgar is super expensive and the Scouts need to delay arrive of their  leased  kitchen truck for as long as possible.

Curious where you're getting your thoughts from.

Considering that there have been parts of the corps on site for days...

• Like 2

Good ole camp raglefart is expensive now?  Hmm. We did HS bandcamp there a week in the summer for three of my marching years. Sleeping in the octagon was no fun  

We found another for my senior year that I liked much better. 

Do we know Blue Stars, Crossmen and Boston would crush them on the way out for sure, or is this strictly conjecture and opinion?  And even if they get beat by them the first week out, are you inferring that Madison's competitive season at that point should be written off as a disaster after the first week? Please help me understand that rationale.

Edited by Madcityscout
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

What are the thoughts of the alumni and fans on starting moveins much later than the groups they want to jump?

It's a good question for a discussion forum. Success during the season is a result of an awful lot of factors interacting in complex ways. I'm skeptical of arguments that assign too much weight to any one.

20 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Do we know Blue Stars, Crossmen and Boston would crush them on the way out for sure, or is this strictly conjecture and opinion?  And even if they get beat by them the first week out, are you inferring that Madison's competitive season at that point should be written off as a disaster after the first week? Please help me understand that rationale.

Madison needs to be close to or beating corps that finished ahead of them once The Academy arrives in the Midwest.  Placements will be fairly defined at that time. Boston, Crossmen,  Blue Stars and The Academy are all going to be better than last year because they each had over 600  audition and they had the pick of the best.  Madison's staff has a huge challenge ahead and I hope they succeed.   With the right program anything may happen.  Remember except for Madison's three home shows Madison will always be on early before intermission making it difficult to score higher than latter performing corps. Everyone wants Madison to be good yet moving up is difficult these days.

7 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Madison needs to be close to or beating corps that finished ahead of them once The Academy arrives in the Midwest.  Placements will be fairly defined at that time. Boston, Crossmen,  Blue Stars and The Academy are all going to be better than last year because they each had over 600  audition and they had the pick of the best.  Madison's staff has a huge challenge ahead and I hope they succeed.   With the right program anything may happen.  Remember except for Madison's three home shows Madison will always be on early before intermission making it difficult to score higher than latter performing corps. Everyone wants Madison to be good yet moving up is difficult these days.

600 people at auditions is no guarantee that one is going to be more successful than the previous season. I doubt very much even 1 person thought the Scouts were going to drop from 8th to 13th last year. Madison's problems last year were all due to show design. If they had a better design, I'd have no doubt they would have been battling Regiment for 8th. A suffering show design can drag everything down, including performance captions and attitude.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

600 people at auditions is no guarantee that one is going to be more successful than the previous season. I doubt very much even 1 person thought the Scouts were going to drop from 8th to 13th last year. Madison's problems last year were all due to show design. If they had a better design, I'd have no doubt they would have been battling Regiment for 8th. A suffering show design can drag everything down, including performance captions and attitude.

Nailed it!!!

2 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

They do come out at a competitive disadvantage all season because of finals placement last year. They will go on before the 12-10 grouping and could go on before the 14-15 from last year. Just my two cents. 

4 hours ago, Narrow said:

Has Madison typically started later than some of the other corps? 

Practice or shows ? it really depends on the question. In shows, in 2000 , the Madison Scouts had 9 competitions under their belt before some Corps ( like Boston ) had their first appearance in a competition that season. Boston was way behind in both practice time and competitions, ( did not have  their 1st competition until July 2nd ) losing to lots of Corps early on that year. But they had marcher talent, worked hard, had a great designed show that season, and finished 5th at Championships, 7 points ahead of 10th place Madison that season.  Madison in '88 was doing just soso middle of the season, took off mid season,and went to Europe, was out of competition for a stint, then came back and at Finals blew everybody away to win the '88 DCI Title. So this notion of starting out a few days late in May move ins compared to other Corps seems like an overblown problem in terms of its ultimate effect.  Madison Scouts will have ample time to be ready come Championships in August, imo. And I think they'll be more than ready. ' Hope so anyway. Good luck to them. DCI is made better and more interesting when the season has a strong and competitive Madison Scouts.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2