Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

Bloo has stayed away from the narrative (story telling) trend for past few years with their more conceptual shows (Tilt, Kinetic Noise, Downside Up).

The only other corps that was really more conceptual than narrative this year were SCV and the Cavies, and I'd still call what they did more "hybrid" type shows because there was definitely a story going on in each of them, but it wasn't explicit all the time.

Do you think Bloo's win might result in more conceptual show designs from other corps over the next few years?

Bloo has stayed away from the narrative (story telling) trend for past few years with their more conceptual shows (Tilt, Kinetic Noise, Downside Up).

The only other corps that was really more conceptual than narrative this year were SCV and the Cavies, and I'd still call what they did more "hybrid" type shows because there was definitely a story going on in each of them, but it wasn't explicit all the time.

Do you think Bloo's win might result in more conceptual show designs from other corps over the next few years?

No. None of the top corps operate that way. They don't look at the last winning show and say, "let's do that." What we will continue to see is more elaborate use of props and electronics and confused emphasis on staging. Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 2

No. None of the top corps operated that way. They don't look at the last winning show and say, "let's do that."

I wasn't asking if any corps would try to do what Bloo did.

There are many ways to approach designing a conceptual show, and every single corps has done them many times over the past few decades.

I don't know if you can really say winning shows have zero impact on design choices from other corps. The impact of winning shows reverberates for many years, especially if they resonate with audiences like Bloo's did. Cavies 02, Cadets 05, and Phantom 08 are just some recent examples of winning shows that influenced the activity design-wise for several years after.

• Like 2

My prediction is that they'll be a least 5 more corps soloists next season that'll now give us a wink.

With any luck, the winks will go viral.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

My prediction is that they'll be a least 5 more corps soloists next seaaon that'll now give us a wink.

I predict you're lowballing this number by a lot. Just wait for the high school band circuits too...it'll be insufferable in no time!

But that stuff aside, I really think we'll see the impact on high school shows. I can't see them going full on ramps and stuff and perhaps some of the uniform things if a band wants to try for that look. Where I think we'll see the most borrowing in high schools is the musical groove style. And I'm totally ok with that. I'd love to see the activity have some more return to jazz (Latin or not).

No. None of the top corps operate that way. They don't look at the last winning show and say, "let's do that." What we will continue to see is more elaborate use of props and electronics and confused emphasis on staging.

I won't be shocked to see Bluecoats do a story next season. Regardless, all of the top corps know their niche. They may all have to look more at connecting with the crowd, though, and that has as much if not more to do with Academy and Cavaliers.

• Like 2

I predict you're lowballing this number by a lot. Just wait for the high school band circuits too...it'll be insufferable in no time!

But that stuff aside, I really think we'll see the impact on high school shows. I can't see them going full on ramps and stuff and perhaps some of the uniform things if a band wants to try for that look. Where I think we'll see the most borrowing in high schools is the musical groove style. And I'm totally ok with that. I'd love to see the activity have some more return to jazz (Latin or not).

Ooh I'd love to see BD do a super jazzy throwback next year for their 60th anniversary show

Ooh I'd love to see BD do a super jazzy throwback next year for their 60th anniversary show

Yup. A BD show featuring Metheny charts would be.....drool.

• Like 2

Oh man no doubt. That would rival anything BC put out this year. Newbies have no idea of the musical history of BD. I would so so love to see an all out blues jazz show!