Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

Actually he did not do the wink on Friday. NOT doing it was part of the plan and was discussed prior to that night's performance.

Odd, I heard differently from people who were at semis. I'll take your word for it

Edited by Cappybara

Did Bloo collaborate with the camera crew to ensure that Thursday's wink would be shown? Just because the soloist knew he had a camera on him does not mean that particular viewpoint was the one the director was showing to the audience. Often they show the start of a solo, then cut away to other action.

If you search the internet you will find a sign on the camera that says "WINK HERE"

Is it photo shop...is it real... :wow:

I can tell you this EVERYONE was looking for it on Saturday night...including the folks in the really good seats :silly:

You can hear it a bit on the YouTube clips of "the wink", but I was there on Saturday and when he did it, the crowd absolutely roared. Awesome.
  • Like 1

Another awesome Bluecoat moment for sure!

Warning to all marching band GE judges around the United States...be prepared for a barrage of WINKS from 90% of the young trumpet, mellophone, trombone, baritone and bassoon soloists your see this fall.

Thanks a lot Shayne!

Edited by oldbandguy

See, I don't have any history at all with WGI. Zilch. I understand what you are getting at but to me it is simply reimagining what a drum corps show can be. Has nothing whatsoever to do with WGI.

It's reimagining a drum corps show as a large-scale WGI winds show.

The member corps decide what the judges should reward, and that's what the judges rewarded. It's what's next.

Bloo took a larger step towards WGI on a football field than any other corps before them, and it will have an impact, in my opinion. I'm really curious to see what that impact is, and have seen some really nice insight on here about it, including from you.

It was a drum corps going further into the WGI realm than any other corps before them, so yeah, new.

Get onboard, or get out, dinos and mini-dinos (me included)

to me, it took the best parts of WGi and added it to drum corps. It wasn't overly deep, you didnt need a thesaurus, it was great music with serious groove, cool body movements, some screamers....louds, softs.....and one helluva swagger. They were good. They knew they were good. But they weren't cocky...they sucked you in and made you like them.

my dad is as dino as dino gets. he saw the show and loved it, and it had all the modern stuff he usually #####es about.

See, I don't have any history at all with WGI. Zilch. I understand what you are getting at but to me it is simply reimagining what a drum corps show can be. Has nothing whatsoever to do with WGI.

Here's the thing, if you have so many people telling you they're heading further and further WGI than Drum Corps, then why don't you look into watching some WGI shows on YouTube? It's not just colorguard anymore. There's a winds division too. Which is what people are getting at, as well as myself. There may not be props or ramps to the magnitude that the Bluecoats took them to, but you also can't exactly fit that size of a ramp inside a gymnasium for a WGI competition with room to move around either. Whether you want to admit it or not, the show was WGI. Nothing new altogether. Just new to DCI, but has been done in WGI for years.

If you search the internet you will find a sign on the camera that says "WINK HERE"

Is it photo shop...is it real... :wow:

I can tell you this EVERYONE was looking for it on Saturday night...including the folks in the really good seats :silly:

its true...I was there....nice seat too.....