2017 PREDICTIONS!

Predictions, Not attacks, Just me thinking out loud.

1. Blue Devils - This Staff does not take kindly to losing and I'm sure are working to get back to the top.

2. Bluecoats - It is so so hard once you Win the First time to come back and re-invent yourself & Innovate again after winning your first. Ask Crown.

3. Cavaliers - This Team is doing great things and seem to have hit their stride this year. Upward Momentum.

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - This corps is on the cusp of medaling but the show design and lack of Innovation is keeping them steady outside of the medallion spots.

5. The Cadets - This is a perennial top 5 Corps, and despite the organizational issues they seem to have done enough in their staff re-structuring to "Bounce-back" though their Brass line will take a hit after losing Gino.

6. Boston Crusaders - Adding Gino and Colin were amazing moves for the weaknesses that Boston has always had, Music excellence and effect, but the addition of the Crown Show Design and Colorguard Team takes this Team to another level. Crown's success into the higher echelons in the activity has been rooted directly to the strength of the Guard and the Visual program. IT will take time for them to "find their voice" but once they do watch out.

7. Carolina Crown - Losing the majority of their staff hurts, Especially the designers, Without a solid back up plan the admins were blindsided. CROWN BRASS is great and all, but without World Class design behind your World Class Brassline, what are you? I'm sure this was part of the thinking of rumored animosity between the Brass staff and all others. They will find respectable suitors to fill the roles, but Top 5 design it will not be.

8. Blue Knights - They have found their Voice, and it is unique just not ground-breaking, Talent limited.

9. Blue Stars - Maintains levels found this year and Builds to retain talent.

10. Phantom Regiment - Downward trend for this corps, Unless they find a new Design and Visual Team this corps will suffer and look back at the late 2000's as the glory years.

11. Madison Scouts - Cant keep a good Corps down for long, Better show design sees them back in the big dance on Saturday.

12. Colts - Howard Weinstein. This man is relentless in his pursuit of greatness. He has rebuilt numerous Corps into Finalist and The Colts will be no exception.

What exactly was SCV lacking in terms of innovation?

My Band Director told me this after BC's win. He said something along the lines of "DCI has changed. To win the title, you can't just be good musically and visually, you also have to introduce something completely new to the activity. Bluecoats introduced music never heard before in DCI, and their props were extremely unique. That's part of the reason they won."

Basically, IMO, it's partially because SCV isn't bringing anything new to the activity. I completely respect them for maintaining their roots by having minimal props and electronics, and making an exceptional show, musically. However, the fans are getting used to seeing something new and exciting, like a bunch of props and electronics. Believe me, I don't have much of a problem with electronics, but the fact of the matter is that most corps are dependent on these elements to have a shot at winning.

I could be wrong, but that's my opinion

Edited by DawsonBurnes

My Band Director told me this after BC's win. He said something along the lines of "DCI has changed. To win the title, you can't just be good musically and visually, you also have to introduce something completely new to the activity. Bluecoats introduced music never heard before in DCI, and their props were extremely unique. That's part of the reason they won."

Basically, IMO, it's partially because SCV isn't bringing anything new to the activity. I completely respect them for maintaining their roots by having minimal props and electronics, and making an exceptional show, musically. However, the fans are getting used to seeing something new and exciting, like a bunch of props and electronics. Believe me, I don't have much of a problem with electronics, but the fact of the matter is that most corps are dependent on these elements to have a shot at winning.

I could be wrong, but that's my opinion

I am young but I do know that I dislike electronics. SCV used next to no electronics. Mixed the baritone solo and the front ensemble. Other than that, the show was both musically and visually beautiful. I didn't see the coats blooming a flower....

• Like 3

I am young but I do know that I dislike electronics. SCV used next to no electronics. Mixed the baritone solo and the front ensemble. Other than that, the show was both musically and visually beautiful. I didn't see the coats blooming a flower....

It was a special, special show, perhaps underappreciated but they did finish just out of the medals. I'm a fan of the Coat's 2016 show too but you're right - they didn't bloom a flower. I became an ARDENT fan of SCV this year. They took me to a place no corps has ever taken me before.

• Like 2

It was a special, special show, perhaps underappreciated but they did finish just out of the medals. I'm a fan of the Coat's 2016 show too but you're right - they didn't bloom a flower. I became an ARDENT fan of SCV this year. They took me to a place no corps has ever taken me before.

And they did it without having to go up and down slides.

Innovation in Sound Design, Innovation in Drill Design/ Staging. Their Front Ensemble book was innovative and executed to perfection and they where handsomely rewarded for it, but in other areas, this year's show could have fit in nicely to finals in the early 2000's.

If I remember correctly in the WGI Sheets, there is a sixth box 99-100 where it is reserved for Innovation, that is to say that you can't max out your caption scores regardless of how perfect you execute if you don't innovate.

Now I don't know what the specifics of the DCI Sheets look like, but with many of same judges doing both circuits, I'm sure the mentality is the same.

Don't get me wrong on my small blurb on SCV, I love SCV they are one of my perennial favorites, but they are who they are, and unless they do something that hasn't been done before and do it very well (Ala Bluecoats Sound design) Medaling or a title with other habitual innovators is out of reach.

Innovation in Sound Design, Innovation in Drill Design/ Staging. Their Front Ensemble book was innovative and executed to perfection and they where handsomely rewarded for it, but in other areas, this year's show could have fit in nicely to finals in the early 2000's.

If I remember correctly in the WGI Sheets, there is a sixth box 99-100 where it is reserved for Innovation, that is to say that you can't max out your caption scores regardless of how perfect you execute if you don't innovate.

Now I don't know what the specifics of the DCI Sheets look like, but with many of same judges doing both circuits, I'm sure the mentality is the same.

Don't get me wrong on my small blurb on SCV, I love SCV they are one of my perennial favorites, but they are who they are, and unless they do something that hasn't been done before and do it very well (Ala Bluecoats Sound design) Medaling or a title with other habitual innovators is out of reach.

Well, hopefully the judges were NOT judging as if there were such a box, even mentally. I think those people are able to use the stated criteria of DCI, and they are not going to invent categories that are not there.

Predictions, Not attacks, Just me thinking out loud.

1. Blue Devils - This Staff does not take kindly to losing and I'm sure are working to get back to the top.

2. Bluecoats - It is so so hard once you Win the First time to come back and re-invent yourself & Innovate again after winning your first. Ask Crown.

3. Cavaliers - This Team is doing great things and seem to have hit their stride this year. Upward Momentum.

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - This corps is on the cusp of medaling but the show design and lack of Innovation is keeping them steady outside of the medallion spots.

5. The Cadets - This is a perennial top 5 Corps, and despite the organizational issues they seem to have done enough in their staff re-structuring to "Bounce-back" though their Brass line will take a hit after losing Gino.

6. Boston Crusaders - Adding Gino and Colin were amazing moves for the weaknesses that Boston has always had, Music excellence and effect, but the addition of the Crown Show Design and Colorguard Team takes this Team to another level. Crown's success into the higher echelons in the activity has been rooted directly to the strength of the Guard and the Visual program. IT will take time for them to "find their voice" but once they do watch out.

7. Carolina Crown - Losing the majority of their staff hurts, Especially the designers, Without a solid back up plan the admins were blindsided. CROWN BRASS is great and all, but without World Class design behind your World Class Brassline, what are you? I'm sure this was part of the thinking of rumored animosity between the Brass staff and all others. They will find respectable suitors to fill the roles, but Top 5 design it will not be.

8. Blue Knights - They have found their Voice, and it is unique just not ground-breaking, Talent limited.

9. Blue Stars - Maintains levels found this year and Builds to retain talent.

10. Phantom Regiment - Downward trend for this corps, Unless they find a new Design and Visual Team this corps will suffer and look back at the late 2000's as the glory years.

11. Madison Scouts - Cant keep a good Corps down for long, Better show design sees them back in the big dance on Saturday.

12. Colts - Howard Weinstein. This man is relentless in his pursuit of greatness. He has rebuilt numerous Corps into Finalist and The Colts will be no exception.

So Crossmen and Academy miss out? Bones is solidly top 12 and Academy is only going in one direction. Puff, puff pass please.

So Crossmen and Academy miss out? Bones is solidly top 12 and Academy is only going in one direction. Puff, puff pass please.

You realize your opinion is not fact, just as the post you replied to is also simply an opinion.

For example, if Academy doesn't up the difficulty level they aren't a lock, and many would argue that the Crosen took a step back in visual design, which could knock them out as well.