2017 PREDICTIONS!

9 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Great post.  I would probably add that Colts move up.  Lots of great staff changes.

I feel like the bar is just getting higher, I feel like few corps will actually end up rising because of increased competition. IMO a few corps are gonna fall from an inability to keep up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

I feel like the bar is just getting higher, I feel like few corps will actually end up rising because of increased competition. IMO a few corps are gonna fall from an inability to keep up.

Yep, but what Im saying is that Colts arent just to going keep up, theyre going to catch up.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Yep, but what Im saying is that Colts arent just to going keep up, theyre going to catch up.

I hope so. I feel like the competitiveness in placements 13-25 is increasing and it is really good for the activity and really helps get away from the idea that WC is the finalists and a few other corps.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

I hope so. I feel like the competitiveness in placements 13-25 is increasing and it is really good for the activity and really helps get away from the idea that WC is the finalists and a few other corps.

I could see Troopers, Mandarins, BDB, Colts, Madison, and Crusaders all in in different scenarios.  

I'm assuming this is not what you meant but are you suggesting they could all make it same year together? This is what'd look like

Coats

Devils

Crown

Vanguard

Cavies

Cadets

Crusaders

Madison

Troopers

BDB

Colts

Mandirins

Looks like fun but I can't say it looks realistic.

5 hours ago, jimthetuba said:

I'm assuming this is not what you meant but are you suggesting they could all make it same year together? This is what'd look like

Coats

Devils

Crown

Vanguard

Cavies

Cadets

Crusaders

Madison

Troopers

BDB

Colts

Mandirins

Looks like fun but I can't say it looks realistic.

I think he's saying there is a scenario in which any one of them could make it in.  I agree for the most part.  

Madison Scouts for sure.  Seems like lately when someone gets knocked out they really rebound the next year so I expect them to be more than in the fight.  

Troopers have been on the cusp for 4 years now...that's gotta be tough.  They're always one aspect away.  If they all line up it'd be hard to keep them out.  

Blue Devils B...we'll see.  In the 2015 offseason months the conversation was VERY similar and they had a readjusting year as well around 17th - 20th I believe.  With a large chunk of I think visual staff heading to Madison Scouts this year I suspect we might see something similar.  But maybe not.  I think their Open Class show last year was the best OC show I've ever seen in terms of performance quality and probably could have made finals in the very recent past.  When the stars line up it's scary.

I think Colts have the performance capability...need to see another show before I include them in my conversation.  Just needs something a little more defined and that stands out from the very crowded group.  

Mandarins have the show design down.  It's all about gradually increasing the depth and difficulty over a few seasons.  Not sure if I see it in 2017 but 2018 and on if they move up again?  Game on.  

Oregon Crusaders are a great visual program away from shooting up really fast.  They have the absolutely fantastic creativity and uniqueness down music design wise and they can play the crap out of their shows, just gotta get the visual program on the same level.  When that happens I feel like they'll shoot up really fast.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I think he's saying there is a scenario in which any one of them could make it in.  I agree for the most part.  

Madison Scouts for sure.  Seems like lately when someone gets knocked out they really rebound the next year so I expect them to be more than in the fight.  

Troopers have been on the cusp for 4 years now...that's gotta be tough.  They're always one aspect away.  If they all line up it'd be hard to keep them out.  

Blue Devils B...we'll see.  In the 2015 offseason months the conversation was VERY similar and they had a readjusting year as well around 17th - 20th I believe.  With a large chunk of I think visual staff heading to Madison Scouts this year I suspect we might see something similar.  But maybe not.  I think their Open Class show last year was the best OC show I've ever seen in terms of performance quality and probably could have made finals in the very recent past.  When the stars line up it's scary.

I think Colts have the performance capability...need to see another show before I include them in my conversation.  Just needs something a little more defined and that stands out from the very crowded group.  

Mandarins have the show design down.  It's all about gradually increasing the depth and difficulty over a few seasons.  Not sure if I see it in 2017 but 2018 and on if they move up again?  Game on.  

Oregon Crusaders are a great visual program away from shooting up really fast.  They have the absolutely fantastic creativity and uniqueness down music design wise and they can play the crap out of their shows, just gotta get the visual program on the same level.  When that happens I feel like they'll shoot up really fast.  

I agree with everything youve said, but I would like to add a bit...

Madison- They have the tools, Im not sure their staff will let them fall any further.  Plus, the changes to their visual staff are really strong.

Troopers-  They have been outstanding.  Hero this year was one of my favorites.  I think something Troopers could do better is just modernizing show design a bit more.  Their shows are incredible though, their brass line always has this dark, concert band tone that is really unique sounding.   

BDB- Let me just point out that I am a shameless BD fan.  BDB this year was stellar.  There were moments in their show though that the hornline just was clean or balanced enough.  Maybe Im just listening to too many WC hornlines though:laughing:

Colts- They can do it.  They have the pieces in place, last years show wasnt what everyone expected, but if they capitalize on what they built we might have a finalist on our hands.

Mandarins- They also can do great things.  I would like to see more difficulty in their shows though.

There's been a penchant for awarding tight score margins recently it seems.  How many times have we said in the past few seasons "oh man look at 1-4 they're like 1 point apart" or something similar about 11-14?  When multiple corps are regularly finishing within tenths of each other, it only takes a breakout year or a stumble to shuffle the ordinals around dramatically.  Bluecoats could end up 5th and Cadets win it and I wouldn't be too stunned.  Crossmen and Academy fall out and Troopers and Madison come in? Again, plausible with the right shows. 

9 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

There's been a penchant for awarding tight score margins recently it seems.  How many times have we said in the past few seasons "oh man look at 1-4 they're like 1 point apart" or something similar about 11-14?  When multiple corps are regularly finishing within tenths of each other, it only takes a breakout year or a stumble to shuffle the ordinals around dramatically.  Bluecoats could end up 5th and Cadets win it and I wouldn't be too stunned.  Crossmen and Academy fall out and Troopers and Madison come in? Again, plausible with the right shows. 

This all leads to higher competitiveness levels which will lead to an even more fun season.