2017 PREDICTIONS!

On 2/17/2017 at 2:59 PM, corpsband said:

Understandable considering the staff shakeup.  How far do you think they're falling? 

I would say no further than 7th. Crown is still Crown. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they remain in the top 5, but I don't think they are a threat to win it this year by any means considering that staff shakeup. I really hope that The Cadets step it up this year and get a medal (unrelated). 

3 minutes ago, CaviesFan17 said:

I would say no further than 7th. Crown is still Crown. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they remain in the top 5, but I don't think they are a threat to win it this year by any means considering that staff shakeup. I really hope that The Cadets step it up this year and get a medal (unrelated). 

Which part of the "staff shake up" do you see  affecting them the most?  (a) Design (b) Drill (c) Guard .  

(this would probably be a good poll in the Crown thread but w/e -- we're here) 

• Like 1

Crown went from 1st to 5th (2013-2014) It can happen. No body knows what is going to happen this year. The only consistent for me is the Blue Devils. Everyone else is questionable. "Can the Bluecoats top last year? Can Santa Clara finally regain control? Can the Cadets be the Cadets? Will the Cavaliers build even further? etc."...No body is concerned about the Blue Devils being the Blue Devils though lol 

Edited by CaviesFan17
Clarification
  • Like 2

Just now, corpsband said:

Which part of the "staff shake up" do you see  affecting them the most?  (a) Design (b) Drill (c) Guard .  

Honestly, Guard. But, all of them will hurt. 

12 minutes ago, CaviesFan17 said:

Crown went from 1st to 5th (2013-2014) It can happen. No body knows what is going to happen this year. The only consistent for me is the Blue Devils. Everyone else is questionable. "Can the Bluecoats top last year? Can Santa Clara finally regain control? Can the Cadets be the Cadets? Will the Cavaliers build even further? etc."...No body is concerned about the Blue Devils though lol 

No doubt it can happen. IMHO that drop can be laid entirely at the feet of the visual design.  Potter/Townsend thought they had a good idea (the tramps) and could "figure out" how to make it all work during ST / early season.  Yeah well we know how that worked out.  Talent-wise they were fine in 2014.  So bad design choices can crash you fast.  In fact IMO all of Crown's "misses"  have been design-related not performance-related.  (But what about percussion? Yeah it's has held them back but I don't think it was a major factor in the 4th/5th place shows). ((And yes -- this is all relative!  Even in the "miss" years,  Crown has been finishing extremely well)).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

A. I'm not even sure who is replacing Keith Potter.

B. Drill probably no change. Jeff writes great drill but unless he adjusts his writing, probably no change here. Cadets were hardly getting accolades from the judging community in VA, GE Visual under Jeff and crew for the past several years. So we'll see.

C. Guard will come out strong and score well in beginning of season due to membership talent and reputation BUT if design lacks in any capacity, mid season as others catch up performance wise, you'll see a drop in guard ranking. 

None of A, B, C seem like an improvement. Maybe a draw or dip.

Positives:

Crown now attracts cream of the crop membership, will have an outstanding brass line and a good Percussion so even a 4-5th place design can still get them to place 3-4 at finals due to member talent and high performance levels. Obviously also depends on competiton too. We'll have to see what year 1 of a new staff brings. Learning curve for sure leaving them vulnerable to BD, Bloo and a surging SCV. 

Edited by Tobias

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

A. I'm not even sure who is replacing Keith Potter.

B. Drill probably no change. Jeff writes great drill but unless he adjusts his writing, probably no change here. Cadets were hardly getting accolades from the judging community in VA, GE Visual under Jeff and crew. So we'll see.

C. Guard will come out strong and score well in beginning of season due to membership talent and reputation BUT if design lacks in any capacity, mid season as other catch up performance wise, you'll see a drop in guard ranking. 

None of A, B, C seem like an improvement. Maybe a draw or dip.

Positives:

Crown now attracts cream of the crop membership, will have an outstanding brass line and a good Percussion so even a 4-5th place design can still get them to place 3-4 at finals. Obviously also depends on competiton too. We'll have to see what year 1 of a new staff brings. Learning curve for sure leaving them vulnerable to BD, Bloo and a surging SCV. 

Obviously it is so hard to tell in the winter months what is going to happen, but being at the first three camps, they are still attracting the cream of the crop in membership.  Musically, at least, from what we have heard so far, brass sound is as impressive as usual and the percussion looks strong.

3 minutes ago, Pit Dad said:

Obviously it is so hard to tell in the winter months what is going to happen, but being at the first three camps, they are still attracting the cream of the crop in membership.  Musically, at least, from what we have heard so far, brass sound is as impressive as usual and the percussion looks strong.

Agreed but I saw early Cadets camps last year with brass n Percussion on fire and we saw how that worked out. All speculation at this point, you're correct but that's what DCP in February is all about! 

Crown is always good, but staff exodus was unplanned. They left, they weren't fired so now we're in a situation of replacing people who were keeping Crown a top 3 corps for quite a long stretch. Not an easy task.

16 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Agreed but I saw early Cadets camps last year with brass n Percussion on fire and we saw how that worked out. All speculation at this point, you're correct but that's what DCP in February is all about! 

Crown is always good, but staff exodus was unplanned. They left, they weren't fired so now we're in a situation of replacing people who were keeping Crown a top 3 corps for quite a long stretch. Not an easy task.

I agree that the staff that left was unplanned and there will be questions all winter until we see the product on the field.  The only things you can say so far is that the talent is still coming, they are getting the same message from staff that is there, and with Jim Coates still running the corps, we will have to hope that the staff he has hired will continue the traditions that have been built and build new ones that will continue to make the corps a contender every year.

• Like 1