2017 PREDICTIONS!

29 minutes ago, Narrow said:

A whole page of meme images! Thanks for contributing such great content corpsband

Since this is a 2017 Prediction thread, I'll predict dozens more of similar memes in the coming months from Corpsband too !

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Corpsband has apparently convinced himself  that his " visualization aid memes " are working when he throws former CC staffers, former CC marchers, Drum Corps fans in general, etc under the bus the last 2 weeks on here. Oh sure, like THATS working well. ( lol!)

I'm not really getting that. Read all these posts - I guess we each have our own interpretations

Crown has undergone some staff changes - as have Cadets and several others

Crown replaced a few top people in the activity with other highly regarded folks. Probably a more highly regarded drill guy replaced their drill guy. Guard guy was top notch but Crown folks seems assured the replacements will do very well

These are youth organizations - let's trust them to make the best decisions possible given the realistic options

Folks need change. Sometimes things get stale. Sometimes peoples lives require or call for change. Sometimes egos grow and need a new venue. 

None of this should be unexpected or reflect poorly on anyone involved

It's just LIFE.

So let's stay positive & classy - hope that Crown, Cadets, Boston, Blue Stars and others with a lot of staff changes have wonderful 2017 seasons. 150 ish young people depend on them in each case. Safe, fun, rewarding, enriching - those are the goals. "Winning" if it happens is fun and a bye-product 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So let's stay positive & classy - hope that Crown, Cadets, Boston, Blue Stars and others with a lot of staff changes have wonderful 2017 seasons.

I've been on board with this sentiment not only for this season... but for every season. Every season, for the last 40 years since the inception of DCI itself, lots of marchers and staffers change Corps. But its a good reminder now for us to wish them all success at their new venues, so we concur with this classy wish for their success, George Dixon.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm not really getting that. Read all these posts - I guess we each have our own interpretations

And you would be correct.  I've noted that the 4th and 5th place Crown shows were the results of visual design errors and not the performers .   What else did I say? Oh -- that guard designers have egos?  HAHA well THAT'S a revelation -- NOT.   I said the same back when those shows happened.  I'm just repeating it now.  Nothing new and no "throwing anyone under the bus" or whatever Buzz is imagining he reads.   They tried stuff -- it didn't work.  I think I know the guard (performers and staff) pretty darn well. Heck --  a lot of the guard staff at Boston marched with my kid. Amazing kids and some talented writers.  Was I disappointed MT left Crown.  ABSOLUTELY.  I'm positive he was too -- he gave a big chunk of his life to Crown.  I know a little of what happened and I'll just say this:  there's plenty of blame to go around on all sides. 

Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Was I disappointed MT left Crown.  ABSOLUTELY.  I'm positive he was too -- he gave a big chunk of his life to Crown.  I know a little of what happened and I'll just say this:  there's plenty of blame to go around on all sides. 

We all know that for 40 years, marchers and staff have left Corps for other Corps and nobody batted an eye... so there really is nothing new under the sun here with these " transfers " and there is no " blame " for the choices that marchers or staffers make in this annual pilgrimage. They go for a whole host of reasons, some altruistic, some financial, some for more challenge, some for more personal fulfillment, for more creative expressions/ freedoms, or for perceived slights,etc... for many reasons. But there has never been a quest to find " blame " before, for the personal or career choices that motivate marchers or staffs to transfer to other Corps. Only BD seems to be immune in DCI to the staff or marcher " transfer " itch. The vast overwhelming majority of DCI World Class and Open Class Division Corps however have this veteran staff and marcher transfers happen to them each and every offseason. The fact that a couple of upper tier DCI Corps had this unexpectedly happen to them this offseason, is all that's really new here. So they now have to do what all the others have to do every season... retool.  This is what the vast majority of the DCI Corps do ALL THE TIME... each and every season, when they lose their marcher veteran talent or staff talent to their competitors.  None of them want to assign " blame " for this culture of movement between Corps either. We have already established that we don't want changes with an adoption of a sensible and reasonable transfer policy between competitors, so I see no " blame " here to be assigned to anyone  nor for anything, regarding this DCI culture of the annual migration of staff and marchers that annually takes place between competing Corps. There really is nothing new here in this regard.

Edited by BRASSO

On 2/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, corpsband said:

No doubt it can happen. IMHO that drop can be laid entirely at the feet of the visual design.  Potter/Townsend thought they had a good idea (the tramps) and could "figure out" how to make it all work during ST / early season.  Yeah well we know how that worked out.  Talent-wise they were fine in 2014.  So bad design choices can crash you fast.  In fact IMO all of Crown's "misses"  have been design-related not performance-related.  (But what about percussion? Yeah it's has held them back but I don't think it was a major factor in the 4th/5th place shows). ((And yes -- this is all relative!  Even in the "miss" years,  Crown has been finishing extremely well)).

What's funny is "Out of This World" was one of my favorite shows, musically in 2014. I even got to go see Crown practice at a local high school that year :)

On 2/19/2017 at 10:56 PM, George Dixon said:

Crown has undergone some staff changes - as have Cadets and several others

Crown replaced a few top people in the activity with other highly regarded folks. Probably a more highly regarded drill guy replaced their drill guy. Guard guy was top notch but Crown folks seems assured the replacements will do very well

These are youth organizations - let's trust them to make the best decisions possible given the realistic options

Folks need change. Sometimes things get stale. Sometimes peoples lives require or call for change. Sometimes egos grow and need a new venue. 

None of this should be unexpected or reflect poorly on anyone involved

It's just LIFE.

So let's stay positive & classy - hope that Crown, Cadets, Boston, Blue Stars and others with a lot of staff changes have wonderful 2017 seasons. 150 ish young people depend on them in each case. Safe, fun, rewarding, enriching - those are the goals. "Winning" if it happens is fun and a bye-product 

Well said, and both Crown and Cadets have been getting stale so perhaps the shot in the arm is what both corps needed. 

• Like 1