2017 PREDICTIONS!

On 5/5/2017 at 4:14 PM, Tobias said:

Hmmm, as far as Cadets, the new fundraising guy who was with Crown the past three seasons posted on FB today that he was at camp last weekend and was "blown away by the Brass book" so not sure Cadets are in a downward trajectory. Time will tell but I think Cadets are poised to push back into a more typical Cadets ranking this season.

Can we acknowledge that no staff member of any corps is ever going to post anything but "Everything sounds/looks AWESOME!" on social media?

Like, that's part of the PR machine.  Everyone is always "blown away" by everything.  I'm not saying Cadets won't be awesome, but an objective perspective, this is not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, geluf said:

Can we acknowledge that no staff member of any corps is ever going to post anything but "Everything sounds/looks AWESOME!" on social media?

Like, that's part of the PR machine.  Everyone is always "blown away" by everything.  I'm not saying Cadets won't be awesome, but an objective perspective, this is not.

True. You never hear an alum, nor a fan of a Corps, go public with " I was just at ( fill in the blank corps ) camp, and the Corps appears less experienced than usual, brass line sounds weaker than ever, the percussion line not on par with recent years, lots of empty holes, and the Corps appeared behind schedule to me, with not much of the music learned", and so forth. They might say this in a pm, but they are not going to say this publically. But yet, who who can quibble with any fan or alum not wanting to go public with such camp info as this ? So sure, in the off season, all we hear is how great and wonderful, and so much better the Corps is, and blah, blah blah. It might be true, but of course everyone takes this all in stride and with a grain of salt, especially now, with secrecy being the norm with these Corps now.

Edited by BRASSO

I might have those discussions in private but, yes you are right.

If there is a section that I don't think is up to par I just won't mention that section.

If the corps itself is not up to par...I just won't post.

6 hours ago, geluf said:

Well since nothing is coming out of Cadetland, it was finally someone that was actually at camp and he didn't have to post anything. 

10 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Well since nothing is coming out of Cadetland, it was finally someone that was actually at camp and he didn't have to post anything. 

oh Brad had to post :-)   i asked him!  

that said -- he really is pretty hyped about the horn book.  

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

oh Brad had to post :-)   i asked him!  

that said -- he really is pretty hyped about the horn book.  

I haven't heard much of the brass stuff but I do really like the drum parts I've heard. A lot. 

16 hours ago, geluf said:

Wow. Talk about jumping to conclusions. How in the hell do you know that this isn't an objective thought? Do you know this man? Have you discussed his statement with him? Geez folks!

1 hour ago, dans said:

Wow. Talk about jumping to conclusions. How in the hell do you know that this isn't an objective thought? Do you know this man? Have you discussed his statement with him? Geez folks!

Seriously. He could have not posted or said something benign if he thought they sucked. 

3 hours ago, dans said:

I didn't kick the Cadets dog, here, I just pointed out that we do this every year, i.e.: base our ideas of what a corps is going to be/how good they will be/etc. on the statements of people close to or inside of the organization itself, almost 100 percent of whom have a vested interest in putting a good face forward for the purposes of pre-summer hype.  Which is fine, that's marketing, that's what should be going on.

My entire point is that I think we cleave a little too closely to staff hype.  Sometimes it is borne out and vindicated during the season, sometimes it isn't.  There's no disrespect meant towards the Cadets here, or anyone on staff at the Cadets.  I love the Cadets.  I want the Cadets to be awesome.  I also take staff statements of any corps about the quality of a product with a grain of salt until I witness said product for myself.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, geluf said:

I also take staff statements of any corps about the quality of a product with a grain of salt until I witness said product for myself.

I think thats the lesson here, imo... let people hype to their hearts content as most people realize that more than likely, its just hype coming from people connected to the Corps that are engaging in simple hype. Or maybe they really did like what they heard and wanted to share it.. Thats quite possible too. But like anything else, we consider the source on all the info we get these days now, as its the times we live in, and those who don't " consider the source " when they get info, well, they get what they deserve... erroneous info, biased info,  or " incomplete story " info.

Edited by BRASSO