2017 PREDICTIONS!

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

In retrospect, it was perhaps poor wording to initially state placement predictions amongst all the other Cadets. However, as a follow up, I stated to Eleran that neither he nor I have made any " hype " nor even any placement predictions for 2017.. This should have satisfied the understanding that my central point being made ( that we can assume everyone agrees with ) is that no fan base has the same assessments of their favorite Corps or Corps chances to move up that season. Some are more optimistic for their chances than others. Others perhaps less so. THAT is my central point . Nobody on here is " making things up " today, George.  Its all cool. Its all good, imo.. 

ohhhhhh wink wink gotcha!

• Like 1

Back on topic!

1. BD – Metamucil

2. Crown – It Is a POS

3. SCV – Our Bozos

4. Coats – Slap Stick

5. Bucktail - Phantasmagorical

6. Cavies – Little Green Weenies

7. Boston – Wrecked Games

8. Cadets – I've Fallen and I can't get up!

9. Knights – i have no imagination

10. Madison – No Man Standing

11. Crossmen – Ed Nigma

12. Academy - No More Hair

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Back on topic!

1. BD – Metamucil

2. Crown – It Is a POS

3. SCV – Our Bozos

4. Coats – Slap Stick

5. Bucktail - Phantasmagorical

6. Cavies – Little Green Weenies

7. Boston – Wrecked Games

8. Cadets – I've Fallen and I can't get up!

9. Knights – i have no imagination

10. Madison – No Man Standing

11. Crossmen – Ed Nigma

12. Academy - No More Hair

I 'm not sure what you'll have in store for the Blue Stars, but I'm pretty sure that unless you have no imagination, they're gonna finish ahead of  Big Ed, Standing There, With No Hair.

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I 'm not sure what you'll have in store for the Blue Stars, but I'm pretty sure that unless you have no imagination, they're gonna finish ahead of  Big Ed, Standing There, With No Hair.

When you don't list music for your show in June, you get bumped out of the top 12.

20 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

When you don't list music for your show in June, you get bumped out of the top 12.

There you go. All right. That'll teach 'em to get the music listing out to us by April 1st.... or else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

There you go. All right. That'll teach 'em to get the music listing out to us by April 1st.... or else.

I knew you'd agree! :cheer:

• Like 1

Ya know, it's entirely possible for every corps to improve (Quality), and placements to change dramatically from the previous year. We'd call that a fantastic year for drum corps. 

It's very rare that an established corps's performance quality goes down; it usually stays the same or improves. This is what all winter hype is based on. 

What really separates the corps these days isn't known until competitions start: the quality of the visual design and its perform-ability...this is what changes most often throughout the summer. It's the most difficult part of designing a show. 

We know we're going to get amazing music and performance from almost everybody, especially the top 3-6 from last year. 

We have almost no clue about anyone's overall show, since no one has put it all on the field yet. We only have a few show titles, corps sponsored videos, music selections, and t-shirt designs lol. 

That said, any corps at place X has to hope that any corps above X will stumble in their visual design and/or perform-ability, or they have to come out with a mind-blowing new design AND perform it AND improve on their music writing AND its performance. I'd argue that only SCV and Boston are well-positioned to do that. 

Everyone else has to hope for an epic stumble, ala Cadets 2016, Phantom 2009, Cavies 2012, Madison 2000, 2007. 

• Like 4

Here's my quick take and general impressions from what info has been released so far. Predictions are in the order from last year's finals.

Bluecoats: I like the music a lot. Don't know about their retention/age out rates, but they should do well, somewhere between 2–4.

Blue Devils: LOVE the theme and the music. Top 3 easily if not winning.

Crown: I know they retained their musical staff, which is good. Sacktig is a great drill designer, but they'll lose a lot in the guard design department. Never been a fan of Subel's work. They may take a hit as guard is a major component of visual. 3–6.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Just kinda meh about this show theme and musical selections. Nothing terribly exciting or innovative. I'm sure they'll put out a well designed show that's clean and musical similar to last year. 4–6.

Cavaliers: I see them gaining ground. Great music and design staff spending more time to gel together. 2–4.

Cadets: Lots of changes here. Not really impressed by the theme, music, or design staff atm. I think they'll take a hit. 5–8

Blue Knights: After loving '14 and '15, I was expecting '16 to be amazing. Terribly disappointing. The poor time management took a toll on them. I hear they have almost the whole show on the field now. I could see them 5–7.

Phantom Regiment: GREAT musical choices. I'll reserve my thoughts on visual as I don't know what to expect just yet. Colorguard design and talent level will be very influential on their scores and final placement. Glad the shackles have been removed from the designers. 4–7.

Blue Stars: Sounds like an OK theme. Not overly impressed. Guard will be great, but hopefully Shapiro will show some restraint as he usually over-designs. Not seeing much movement. 8–11.

Crossmen: Sounds like an interesting concept and music. However, I hope the arrangements (esp. the original works) are a bit more inspiring than last year...kinda felt like elevator music to me. 9–12.

The Academy: Sounds like they're on the right track after a successful season last year. Kinda see them in the same range as last year, 10–12.

Boston Crusaders: Like the musical rep, but would like to hear how they tie things together. BIG improvements in guard and visual staff. They could move up a few notches. 8–10.

Edited by phd-student-TTU

22 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Here's my quick take and general impressions from what info has been released so far. Predictions are based on the results from last year's finals.

Bluecoats: I like the music a lot. Don't know about their retention/age out rates, but they should do well, somewhere between 2–4.

Blue Devils: LOVE the theme and the music. Top 3 easily if not winning.

Crown: I know they retained their musical staff, which is good. Sacktig is a great drill designer, but they'll lose a lot in the guard design department. Never been a fan of Subel's work. They may take a hit as guard is a major component of visual. 3–6.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Just kinda meh about this show theme and musical selections. Nothing terribly exciting or innovative. I'm sure they'll put out a well designed show that's clean and musical similar to last year. 4–6.

Cavaliers: I see them gaining ground. Great music and design staff spending more time to gel together. 2–4.

Cadets: Lots of changes here. Not really impressed by the theme, music, or design staff atm. I think they'll take a hit. 5–8

Blue Knights: After loving '14 and '15, I was expecting '16 to be amazing. Terribly disappointing. The poor time management took a toll on them. I hear they have almost the whole show on the field now. I could see them 5–7.

Phantom Regiment: GREAT musical choices. I'll reserve my thoughts on visual as I don't know what to expect just yet. Colorguard design and talent level will be very influential on their scores and final placement. Glad the shackles have been removed from the designers. 4–7.

Blue Stars: Sounds like an OK theme. Not overly impressed. Guard will be great, but hopefully Shapiro will show some restraint as he usually over-designs. Not seeing much movement. 8–11.

Crossmen: Sounds like an interesting concept and music. However, I hope the arrangements (esp. the original works) are a bit more inspiring than last year...kinda felt like elevator music to me. 9–12.

The Academy: Sounds like they're on the right track after a successful season last year. Kinda see them in the same range as last year, 10–12.

Boston Crusaders: Like the musical rep, but would like to hear how they tie things together. BIG improvements in guard and visual staff. They could move up a few notches. 8–10.

Don't sleep on em.

• Like 3