2017 PREDICTIONS!

4 hours ago, friendwhale said:

I'll put here my last before tour here. No ranks, but an analysis of some corps

BLUE DEVILS - I currently have virtually no insight onto their show yet except for their title and repertoire. But knowing BD, I have a gut feeling that they'll display some of DCI's most inventive visuals this year. I can't wait to see what they do with Flight of the Bumblebee

CAVALIERS - Saw them on Flomarching and they got me from surprise. I had no idea what I was getting into just by seeing the show announcement. And after seeing it, I'm still not exactly sure what I saw. But that doesn't mean that it was something. I have a feeling that this show will spill some controversy about electronics, but as one who is pretty okay with electronics, their implementation of electronics didn't take away too much of the show for me, although they did feel a weetad too abundant. But I did appreciate the way they used it. The drumline was extremely solid, so they get a shoutout. I was bummed to not see the weather due to weather, because I have a feeling that what I could've seen could've given me an adrenaline rush like last year's ending. This show really did spin my head

BLUE STARS - I'll admit that I was underwhelmed when they announced their show, but now that I saw it, the show passed my expectations. I'm glad that they covered more stories than Romeo and Juliet. I think. The show was easy to follow and they really did a good job with getting fitting props and uniforms for the show. I noticed that the hornline wasn't involved as much and wanted them to play more. Most of the time they were at horns down. They're doing a good job at keeping their identity and riding off their older shows with this one.

BLUE KNIGHTS - Some people predict that they'll either stagnate or drop when it comes to scoring, and I can see why. One reason is because of other corps kicking it into high gear this season, and maybe another was because last year didn't live up to expectations. Maybe they're right about the former, but after seeing what they have on the field twice already, the latter couldn't be further from the truth. They're also cranking it up this season and really putting something else on the field this year. I mean, talk about physically demanding. From all sections. I've seen it twice already and I still feel like I need to watch it another 15 times to catch up on anything that I've missed. It also has its fair share of memorable moments, too (IKR?) Also, (if you haven't seen the show yet) please don't go off the Vic Firth videos as a first impression, there's WAY more to the show than the percussion book. You'll know when you see it. I'll be very baffled it they get any lower than 8th at finals, frankly.

BOSTON CRUSADERS - Fact: I didn't think much of when I heard everyone say that they're going to step up their game this year. Other fact: I'm wrong and ignorant. Holy cow. I had stated that I'm a fan of dark and in-your-face shows and this show is just that. It's becoming a trademark for Boston it seems, and I like it. That drumline is spectacularly solid. And now that I've seen the show, those uniforms are really clever and are probably my favorite this season. This is a perfect concept for Boston to touch up on. It also has its emotional and very passionate moments. This show is truly going to be wicked.

Carolina Crown - Top notch brass + weird leg movements = trademark Crown. They're pretty great. The vocalist and all. #PurpleJacketBand?

This is without a doubt going to be a powerhouse year.

I put the stopwatch to it and from start to finish they played roughly 8 minutes plus or minus 20 seconds (for being late to starting)  8/11 is pretty good amount of time playing IMO 

• Like 1

Watched the Cavaliers and Blue Stars shows from last night (both ended up on YT for a while). Cavaliers have some excellent drill and percussion sounds good. The show is not drawing me in yet, but they were unable to perform the closer and you can tell there will be a lot of changes. The brass book is odd. Some really meaty stuff at times, but perhaps too many breaks between snippets of brass. Doesn't flow as well...yet.  Blue Stars are going to be beautiful, colorful, and I feel I am going to love this show once cleaned. Hope so. They can perform.

Must say I watched Carolina Crown again today. That show is really growing on me. It's weakness is in the back end of the show...which admittedly needs finished. They can really march, play, and I think their guard is once again staged very well.  I do not think Cavaliers are even in the ballpark with Crown. 2 to 3 points behind.  Crown's brass is already at an exceptional level of playing. I'm thinking Bluecoats, BD, Crown, and maybe SCV will be the leaders early this season.  How is shakes out...who knows? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Watched the Cavaliers and Blue Stars shows from last night (both ended up on YT for a while). Cavaliers have some excellent drill and percussion sounds good. The show is not drawing me in yet, but they were unable to perform the closer and you can tell there will be a lot of changes. The brass book is odd. Some really meaty stuff at times, but perhaps too many breaks between snippets of brass. Doesn't flow as well...yet.  Blue Stars are going to be beautiful, colorful, and I feel I am going to love this show once cleaned. Hope so. They can perform.

Must say I watched Carolina Crown again today. That show is really growing on me. It's weakness is in the back end of the show...which admittedly needs finished. They can really march, play, and I think their guard is once again staged very well.  I do not think Cavaliers are even in the ballpark with Crown. 2 to 3 points behind.  Crown's brass is already at an exceptional level of playing. I'm thinking Bluecoats, BD, Crown, and maybe SCV will be the leaders early this season.  How is shakes out...who knows? 

I agree with everything you have said. Crown is really something. I think they are going to do very well this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Seen the same shows.  problem with video sound etc.  No comment.

These are my gut feelings for this coming season.  Difficult to make predictions based on the limited info available, but here goes:

1 BLUE DEVILS: they will have an undeniably top notch show, wonderfully executed.

2 SCV: they have been building for years toward this push for gold, but will not breach the blue wall.

3 CADETS: some of their best years have followed a disappointing finish. They will see the errors of their past and put entertainment and mm passion above gratuitous difficulty.

4 BLUECOATS: they will continue to push the creative boundaries, but will not create the same magic as 2016.

5 PHANTOM: fewer obstacles this year and a solid Phantom-esque show will put them back in the hunt.

6 CROWN: great brass, great visual, percussion a nagging Achille's heel.

7 CAVIES: one of last year's surprise breakthroughs and crowd pleaser will be strong again, but will miss top 5.

8 BOSTON: solid in all captions and safely in finals.  Darker themed shows tend to be an uphill battle if the execution does not dazzle.  They may peak early if more difficulty is not layered in.  

9 BLUE STARS: once again delivering.  This well run organization and passionate group of performers maintains their spot.

10 BLUE KNIGHTS: smack in the middle of the first blue wall.

11 BLUE DEVILS B: finally breaking into finals, paving the way for a possibly all-Blue top 5.

12 CROSSMEN: still strong, still solid.

2 minutes ago, Ediker said:

6 CROWN: great brass, great visual, percussion a nagging Achille's heel.

Not anymore man.  This Crown line is starting to push out some really clean beats.  Design is a MASSIVE flaw right now.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Not anymore man.  This Crown line is starting to push out some really clean beats.  Design is a MASSIVE flaw right now.

Agreed. The old DCP Crowns percussion sucks has long passed. Design issues, maybe their new nemesis.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Liked for your profile pic alone.  Literally touched my screen to make sure

• Like 1