2017 PREDICTIONS!

Just now, BoaDci said:

Not anymore man.  This Crown line is starting to push out some really clean beats.  Design is a MASSIVE flaw right now.

Maybe what I am about to say belongs on the unpopular opinion thread... but...

For all that Crown earns in Brass design and performance (they are, the best, when the Blue Devils aren't the best... Crown is the best), and for all that they earn in visual execution (they march with unparalleled consistency)...

I have to admit, that I thought that last year's design (visual, and thematic, specifically) may have placed generously, given its dependency on a sort of old-fashioned dramatic anchor.

There.  I said it.

I honestly thought that the "Rach Star" show had a more audience-engaging focus... Am I alone in this?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Usually Mistified said:

My two cents:

1. SCV

2. BLUECOATS

3. BLUE DEVILS

4. CADETS

5. CAROLINA CROWN

6. PHANTOM

7. CAVALIERS

8. BLUE KNIGHTS

9. BOSTON

10. BLUE STARS

11. CROSSMEN

12. MADISON

SCV seems to be quite a wild card. Nobody seems to know much about them. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Maybe what I am about to say belongs on the unpopular opinion thread... but...

For all that Crown earns in Brass design and performance (they are, the best, when the Blue Devils aren't the best... Crown is the best), and for all that they earn in visual execution (they march with unparalleled consistency)...

I have to admit, that I thought that last year's design (visual, and thematic, specifically) may have placed generously, given its dependency on a sort of old-fashioned dramatic anchor.

There.  I said it.

I honestly thought that the "Rach Star" show had a more audience-engaging focus... Am I alone in this?

Although I totally see what you're getting at, I liked Crown last year much more. I liked Rach Star too, but last year's show was special for me. Loved the design. Now, I must confess that part of the reason I loved Crown last year (aside from all the normal reasons to love a corps - like brass, guard, marching, great music) is that they gave the activity a glimpse at what I always thought the Troopers could be.  They even looked sort of like the Troopers.  For years the Troop seemed to lose themselves in trying to find the right image and modern show, yet retain some of those old west qualities they are known for.  When I saw Crown in Massillon (the 1st Ohio show in June) I kept saying to myself "now this is what the Troopers should look like."  I really think their design last year was remarkable, except for maybe the slightly cheesy ending.  

These are my early season rankings -- only valid up to July 4  :14_relaxed:

1. Bluecoats (They are HOT once again) 
  2. Blue Devils (incredible brass book and show)
  3. Carolina Crown (starting to draw me in from early viewings)
  4. Santa Clara Vanguard (who knows, possibly a dark horse)
  5. Phantom Regiment (like the music and uniforms)
  6. Blue Stars (from what I heard, a very talented corps)
  7. Boston Crusaders (also extremely impressed with where they are coming out of the gate)
  8. Blue Knights (a bit of an unknown)
  9. Cavaliers (show design left me flat, no flow to the music yet)
  10. The Cadets (odd to see them here, but they will improve, and I do think the show design will ultimately be a step up come Finals)
  11. Academy
  12. Crossmen
  13. Madison Scouts
  14. Troopers
  15. Mandarins
  16. Pacific Crest
  17. BDB
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

What design issues?

Or to quote yourself (regarding show design in the Cadets thread),  "If you can't see it there's nothing I can say to make you see it."

I agree with him. I get Crown's show concept, and even like it, but they've made some odd choices. Some of the transitions are awkward. There's a lot going on, much like your typical BD show, but it's not nearly as cohesive or seamless. Perhaps additional layering will tie everything together, or this could be another 2014 where it sounded good on paper but didn't quite translate that well to the field. Too early to tell. I don't expect them to do as well GE-wise as BD or Bluecoats coming out of the gate.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Or to quote yourself (regarding show design in the Cadets thread),  "If you can't see it there's nothing I can say to make you see it."

I agree with him. I get Crown's show concept, and even like it, but they've made some odd choices. Some of the transitions are awkward. There's a lot going on, much like your typical BD show, but it's not nearly as cohesive or seamless. Perhaps additional layering will tie everything together, or this could be another 2014 where it sounded good on paper but didn't quite translate that well to the field. Too early to tell. I don't expect them to do as well GE-wise as BD or Bluecoats coming out of the gate.

Of course there's odd transitions and the ending needs to be reworked. It's early season. Their design issues are nothing compared to the Cadets. No comparison there. Crown's are fixable, Cadets are not (not without a massive overhaul).

Edited by henry7184