Staff merri-go-round

I don't know how DCI would judge this caption unless all the other WC corps participated. Which won't happen any time soon, if ever.

I would hope and expect that electronics would NOT be judged unless MM kids were doing it. It's not congruous with any aspect of the spirit of judging.

i think we are getting ahead of ourselves. I agree with Tobias that the Bloo announcement means that they had designated someone to oversee aspects powered by electronics. No where in the Bloo announcement is there any mention, discussion, or inference about judging. Someone has too much time on one's hands.

i think we are getting ahead of ourselves. I agree with Tobias that the Bloo announcement means that they had designated someone to oversee aspects powered by electronics. No where in the Bloo announcement is there any mention, discussion, or inference about judging. Someone has too much time on one's hands.

No one is getting ahead of anything. Just discussing the potential ramifications.

I know there have been complains behind the scenes by other corps about Bluecoats' use of adults on the field to run electronics...and obviously, designing them. While adults are heavily involved in show design for all corps, even a marching member directs the live performance.

The thing that makes this a new discussion is that Bluecoats have gone way beyond simple amplification and made sound a part of the show performance itself.

Edited by MikeRapp

No one is getting ahead of anything. Just discussing the potential ramifications.

I know there have been complains behind the scenes by other corps about Bluecoats' use of adults on the field to run electronics...and obviously, designing them. While adults are heavily involved in show design for all corps, even a marching member directs the live performance.

The thing that makes this a new discussion is that Bluecoats have gone way beyond simple amplification and made sound a part of the show performance itself.

No one who's opinion matters has made that complaint in years. Also, the Bluecoats aren't the only corps mixing remotely either, almost all corps are. It's a non-issue with anyone save a few DCP posters.

• Like 1

No one who's opinion matters has made that complaint in years. Also, the Bluecoats aren't the only corps mixing remotely either, almost all corps are. It's a non-issue with anyone save a few DCP posters.

For the past three years, Bluecoats is the only corps making additional, non-live-music-playing audio a central part of the very design of the show. We're not talking about amplification, or samples, or pads. We're talking about additional audio that is at times louder than the marching members, and at other times exclusive to audio engineering.

I am a huge BC fan. Their last three shows are among my all time favorites. It's not about whether anyone likes them, it's about whether DCI is willing to score things done by non-marching members as a part of GE. What separates this from the other corps staff is that the audio staff are on the field, and often contributing exclusive audio content to the live event itself.

How would this be different than contributions made by the pit? Technically, no pun intended, digital music recordings in fact identical in tonal quality to those performed live.

Maybe the way to go is to add another seat on the bus for an audio person who is a marching member.

Edited by MikeRapp

Well if that doesn't sound a little condescending...

• Like 1

Well if that doesn't sound a little condescending...

Are you surprised?

• Like 1

For the past three years, Bluecoats is the only corps making additional, non-live-music-playing audio a central part of the very design of the show. We're not talking about amplification, or samples, or pads. We're talking about additional audio that is at times louder than the marching members, and at other times exclusive to audio engineering.

I am a huge BC fan. Their last three shows are among my all time favorites. It's not about whether anyone likes them, it's about whether DCI is willing to score things done by non-marching members as a part of GE. What separates this from the other corps staff is that the audio staff are on the field, and often contributing exclusive audio content to the live event itself.

How would this be different than contributions made by the pit? Technically, no pun intended, digital music recordings in fact identical in tonal quality to those performed live.

Maybe the way to go is to add another seat on the bus for an audio person who is a marching member.

You make it sound like there exists some vast creative license beyond realtime setting of dials. It doesn't work that way. Everything is carefully scripted by designers. The sound guy controls dials in realtime in order to maximize the experience for the audience, all within carefully crafted and documented limits. After all, the designers and music ensemble coordinators are ultimately responsible for the final effect...not the dials guy.

Assistant Music Ensemble Coordinator???

... can some please explain what this position does? Aside from what it says, which is "assist the music ensemble coordinator"... what is the role of that position?

edit: is this a scheduling and logistics job? or ?

Edited by soccerguy315

Assistant Music Ensemble Coordinator???

... can some please explain what this position does? Aside from what it says, which is "assist the music ensemble coordinator"... what is the role of that position?

edit: is this a scheduling and logistics job? or ?

The person in this job helps the Music Ensemble Coordinator.

You're welcome.

:tounge2: