Staff merri-go-round

30 minutes ago, garfield said:

Cadets

i'd say you're right

55 minutes ago, xandandl said:

At Allentown I heard a rumor from a very good source that Jim Prime, Jr. wants back into the game.  Where???

(Coincidentally, he sat one night just a head of me, but I didn't go over to ask.)

Prime, like Jim Wren, is a brass arranger of the highest order.  They are to field brass arranging what Stokowski was to the great masters.  Their arrangements were pure and exciting!!! 

That said, I doubt Prime would accommodate synthesizers and amplification in his arrangements.  Doesn't need to.  Check out any of the top 5 scoring years of Star and 83 & 84 at Garfield Cadets.  All of those arrangements rival anything today... more so because they are acoustic.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

At Allentown I heard a rumor from a very good source that Jim Prime, Jr. wants back into the game.  Where???

Loved his arrangements with Madison in 2010. Any idea why he only lasted a year there? I understand he left on his own - just wonder why.

Don't we have to hear that a staffer will be no longer brought back ( or has resigned ) that creates an opening BEFORE we say who might replace that staffer ? Or is it ok to jump the gun before Finals on here  as to what staff(s) won't be back, and at what Corps ?

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Don't we have to hear that a staffer will be no longer brought back ( or has resigned ) that creates an opening BEFORE we say who might replace that staffer ? Or is it ok to jump the gun before Finals on here  as to what staff(s) won't be back, and at what Corps ?

some corps augment staff rather than merely fire and replace. BD and SCV are examples of augmenters with depth of staff. Think of how many music designers are employed at BD for example.

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Loved his arrangements with Madison in 2010. Any idea why he only lasted a year there? I understand he left on his own - just wonder why.

His time there paralleled the involvement of Donnie Van Doren, as it did at Star/Blast/Brass Theater, and Cadets. It's been that way since they both marched Easton Chessmen and then Hawthorne Muchachos. Follow one and find the other. However, DVD has branched out on his own at times such as with The Troopers. Should someone mention Carolina Crown, be sure Jimma was overlooking Michael Klesch's shoulder and whispering a suggestion or two.

But the short answer is I don't know anything more specific for you. 

5 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Prime, like Jim Wren, is a brass arranger of the highest order.  They are to field brass arranging what Stokowski was to the great masters.  Their arrangements were pure and exciting!!! 

That said, I doubt Prime would accommodate synthesizers and amplification in his arrangements.  Doesn't need to.  Check out any of the top 5 scoring years of Star and 83 & 84 at Garfield Cadets.  All of those arrangements rival anything today... more so because they are acoustic.  

I am definitely a fan of the Jimmer and always have been. No convincing needed here; you are spot on, although I would be interested to see how he would set it all in the electronic world we now have. He might just be the person to put the balance back into the situation.

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I am definitely a fan of the Jimmer and always have been. No convincing needed here; you are spot on, although I would be interested to see how he would set it all in the electronic world we now have. He might just be the person to put the balance back into the situation.

Electronics need to go before they ruin the sport!

Next year's winning show should be

called "Unplugged!"

• Like 2

Social media will be the place to watch in about 6 hours

• Like 1