Staff merri-go-round

I've read the post several times and still not sure what to think. It hurts their most consistent caption the last 4 years and could possibly pull alot of talent away. They've had that pulse/pow connection bringing in talent. Whoever takes over I believe has to have a connection with a big WGI group to keep them at the same level.

John Mapes bids farewell to Blue Stars after 4 years! Hmmm. Wonder where he'll pop up?

WOW...that is a HUGE loss for Blue Stars IMO!

Edited by Liahona

Huge loss :(

Mapes and Grom ( for those unfamilar ) were Percussion Arrangers for Blue Stars... one of the strong captions for the Blue Stars. Both these guys are bigtime names in WGI ( percussion design side ) too. Boh are from Calif, I believe.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I've read the post several times and still not sure what to think. It hurts their most consistent caption the last 4 years and could possibly pull alot of talent away. They've had that pulse/pow connection bringing in talent. Whoever takes over I believe has to have a connection with a big WGI group to keep them at the same level.

Dear Blue Stars, it has been a good 4 years but it is time for me and Ian Grom to go our separate ways. Had an incredible experience with all the members, teaching staff, volunteers and admin team! I thank everyone who was so welcoming and gracious the entire time we were there. I ended up learning even more than I thought I would, turns out indoor and outdoor are very different.

2016 left me very inspired by the top groups and was a great reminder of what is possible in this activity. It would be easy to go through the motions and stay on another summer, but it is time to practice what I preach. Do what you love, love what you do. Although there were so many positives, in the end we were simply left artistically unfulfilled time and time again. Drum Corps design is all about the team and the chemistry and without that you are left with only your individual caption to be excited about, but that is not enough and was never the point.

Lastly, thanks to everyone for all the overwhelming amount of hype and love for the Stars percussion over the past 4 seasons. Very proud of those accomplishments! And of course thanks to Eric Shriver for leading the charge, none of this could have happened without him!

Not sure what is up next, but that is just fine with me :):)

• Like 1

For what it is worth I thought when Aungst and crew left after 2012 I thought they were gonna be totally screwed, but actually came out stronger with Mapes and Grom and Shriver.

Not a total loss until we know who the replacement is.

Doesn't mean I'm not pretty upset about this though. They were amazing there.

• Like 1

Obviously a little friction between designers at the Blue Stars last year. That is too bad. Anxious to see the stars staff announcements.

Which is weird because the show seemed so cohesive top to bottom.

Well I wish them the best, their percussion, especially the front ensemble were a HUGE treat the last 4 years, and hell even 7. They replaced an incredible percussion staff once in 2013, here is to hoping they can do it again.