Staff merri-go-round

It came off a little bitter.

Yah, a little more bitter toward the design team though (at least that's what I got from it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Not so much the members and other staff.

When people leave a drum corps there's usually some negative reasoning behind it no matter how diplomatic and professional they try to make their Facebook announcement. Some are better at hiding it than others.

I like the subtle jabs in the announcements. Makes for a nice Tuesday night of drama *throws another piece of

popcorn in mouth*

Well last year everyone thought Saucedo was leaving and going back to Cavies before announcing he was going back. That rumor seemed very true so maybe it was planned for one more year with him while working out the plans for 2017? All three are great people and there isn't a single negative thing to say about them. They have tinkered with sections the last couple of years trying to get that right match and if the rumors on here are true of reuniting the old team I'm sold. Sad and excited to hear the news!

If you'd like to help advocate for the outreach effort..it might help to learn the names of these women instead of calling them someone else's assistant.

no. it sounds to me like indoor is their true passion and calling, and want to devote their energies to that

• Like 1

no. it sounds to me like indoor is their true passion and calling, and want to devote their energies to that

I think maybe you quoted the wrong post, Jeff. :D

As to whether John threw anybody under the bus ... John and Ian are in the business of writing and arranging. They write entire marching band shows (all instrumentation) and indoor percussion shows (all instrumentation). It is entirely possible that they did not find the experience of handling strictly percussion within the scope of an entire a drum corps' output to be nearly as rewarding as creating an entire musical package. This would not be a knock against any specific team members at Blue Stars. Maybe the situation itself was not enough for their creative appetite.

I would love to see them back in the DCI fold writing an entire show.

Edited by mingusmonk

After several years of following this closely, I've just come to the conclusion that DCI at the world-class level is just a very very uniquely compressed timeline for every single thing you do. Three years in a world-class corps is equal to 6, maybe 10 years in any other similar job. and as the activity gets more competitive, you can succeed in your corps and fail within the activity.

I have no idea whether the docudrama will be any good or not, but being on tour with a world class corps really is the perfect setting for such a show. Too many creatively driven people in one place, with absurdly high goals, hyper competitive, with financial issues thrown in...and that doesn't even address relationships between the corps members, staff members, and between members and staff.

I guess I might liken it to being in the Southeastern conference in football. You might be one of the 20 best football teams in college football, but in the SEC, you might be the 10th or 11th or 12th best team. You can get better next year, and finish worse—and be replaced as a result. So the pressure on everybody, and especially within the coaching staffs, is astronomical.

If I loved the essence of the activity, and knew I could control the outcome more directly, and have more time at home...yeah, one might think WGI would be a significantly better opportunity.

Edited by MikeRapp

Official announcement from Saucedo

Thank you to the Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps for 4 great years. As much as I've enjoyed working with the staff and the performers, I decided near the end of the season that it was time for me to pursue others endeavors. It is certainly with mixed emotions that I make this decision.

I have learned so much from the wonderful music writing team of Ian Grom and John Mapes. Thanks to both of them and to the rest of the designers, staff and directors for a wonderful learning experience.

I will always be a huge fan of the corps and will be excited to see what this talented group accomplishes in the future. The members are so dedicated and focused and I'll miss them most of all.

Thanks again to all involved. I will miss working with the team, but I'm also very excited about the music education endeavors in my future!

Best wishes to all,

Richard Saucedo

So what will be Sal Salas' role at Cadets? Consultant?

no, he is program co-director with Jeremy Earnhart.

program directors do most of their work in the off-season inspiring all on the design team to be creative, thorough, and excellent. During the season, program coordinators help the captions sift the post-critique info to grow the show, develop and clarify the show's ideas and prosper the ongoing improvement of all and each caption.

Just as musical arrangers Michael Klesh and Jay Bocook each arranged wonderful scores for multiple corps in the same season (Academy/Crown, Blue Knights/Cadets), a creative Artistic Director and Program Coordinator may actually have more than one creative thought in one place. Today's technology (Skype, emails, mobil phones) and that both Spirit and Cadets are East Coast corps often appearing a the same contest makes this easier in the modern times.

My initial reaction as well... 'guess we'll find out soon enough.