Staff merri-go-round

Don't make assumptions that you're not knowledgeable of.

Oh, and virtually all corps have some changes every year, even major changes in successful years.

But yes, Madison MUST be hitting the panic button.

We'll see. We all know what happens in this activity when the panic button is pushed.

I would not do anything harsh if I were the Scouts. I think they're on the cusp and moving in the right direction. Need to take a look at show design and develop a show the connects better with the audience. IMO their show this season was a mess.

Oh, and virtually all corps have some changes every year, even major changes in successful years.

I'm sure he/she is perfectly knowledgeable about their own assumptions. Moreso than anyone else on the planet....

...which of course you follow with, in your last line, essentially the same assumption.

Which I think would be a mistake...

In any given year, 85 is the typical score that gets you into finals. They scored and 85 and were pipped by a surging BAC. They had a great show that was instantly indentifiable as a Madison show. It was just bad luck. Wholesale changes or changing for the sake of change would set this group back 5 years at least.

A score is merely a number. It could have been a 90 on the judging scale and it doesn't change the fact that 12 groups had a better program than they did.

2 of the last 3 years have been very poor visual design and planning and that isn't even the entire picture.

C McN & G C from Cadets to BAC

Hop out as Program Coordinator (still Exec Dir)

Brass Caption head at Troopers resigning after getting into physical altercation with stadium security in INDY

That's been the buzz this week.

Wow if Collin and Gino leave the cadets that's an huge blow to them - I'll believe it when I see it but stranger things have happened Edited by dcibrando

Cadets need an overhaul. If I were an alum who regularly threw $ at them, I'd absolutely DEMAND that they restore the Tradition that kept this corps alive for over 80 years.

When I realized that last night's score was the lowest since 19-friggin'-82, I thought, Wow. That organization needs a snow globe-like shakeup.

The last couple years seems like they are trying possibly too hard to hold on to tradition. Maybe a bit too stuck in the past. I think it's more of an issue with designing shows that will win today, not designing shows that would win 6-7 years ago.

• Like 1

Which I think would be a mistake...

In any given year, 85 is the typical score that gets you into finals. They scored and 85 and were pipped by a surging BAC. They had a great show that was instantly indentifiable as a Madison show. It was just bad luck. Wholesale changes or changing for the sake of change would set this group back 5 years at least.

What you say is somewhat true. What I found interesting is that when Madison performed on Friday, those where I sat (in the 138-142 range) believed Madison did a better job than BAC, people who sat higher up said the opposite. Most are fans of both BAC and Madison. Many thought Troopers would catch both. What most Madison folks were bothered by was a good start to the season that led to inconsistency. There were also rumored rifts between leadership, staff, and alums that at times impacted marching members. I thought Madison had some good working pieces, but it may have made a mistake by reusing one of its most iconic shows and turning it darker. There were also some design issues that made me wonder if they knew the story of Judas more than he took his life. However, what may be needed more than a better team is a bridge builder who can bring a variety of people to the table and set the corps in a forward direction. This is a great corps with rich tradition and wonderful people involved with it.

• Like 1

The WSS myth was not Cadets, but actually the countless marching bands that chopped up the music. The rumor started because of the timing of the letter.

As for Disney music, also a myth. Just need to take the time to do it.

John Williams is true.

However, there are composers and organizations with far less substantial material that are more difficult, which is absurd.

I arranged a Bernstein show for the band I teach, using Chichester Psalms and Mass music. The contract requirements were very stringent, and they wanted a copy of the score after I was done. Never heard back from anyone.

C McN & G C from Cadets to BAC

Hop out as Program Coordinator (still Exec Dir)

Brass Caption head at Troopers resigning after getting into physical altercation with stadium security in INDY

That's been the buzz this week.

Oh no, I hope tim doesn't leave Troopers. The Lucas oil events guy attacked him unprovoked... To fire him or have to resign under pressure would be completely unfair for an act of self defense. Hopefully Fred will fight hard for him. I know the Indianapolis police said tim could press charges against the security guy. Edited by TroopAlum12
  • Like 2

I arranged a Bernstein show for the band I teach, using Chichester Psalms and Mass music. The contract requirements were very stringent, and they wanted a copy of the score after I was done. Never heard back from anyone.

Providing a copy of the score and parts is now the standard. In fact, you now *cannot* actually (read: legally) give the score and parts directly to the band you arrange for. You upload the PDFs files to Tresona, and they add the pertinent copyright info. Then the band gets a download link.

We live in interesting times.

• Like 1