2017 Boston Crusaders

On the whole, Boston was a young Corps this season. I would imagine that their retention will be strong this offseason. Competition for 2017 spots in line should be keener than ever before for them too. Cadets/ Crown should be just fine. They can be expected to fill the open staff positions quickly and they can be expected be good replacements,

But my gosh.... what is happening in Boston is exciting, to say the least.

I remember sitting near some Crown volunteers and staff at the 2012 CYO Nationsls tribute. I had met them a day earlier at the Wakefield July 4th parade. At the parade they mentioned a large number of veterans were marching and at the show they were pointing out kids who marched three, four, five years with the corps. They said that there had been an influx of kids auditioning after 2011 and Rach Star because it was certain Crown would be a contender . Of course they were correct, a title was a year away, but they felt the back bone of the corps were these seasoned veterans. My guess is that BAC is adopting, or perhaps a better word is following, this model. All season there was a stress on being a Boston Crusader, being a giant, the value of tradition, the reality of an impossible dream coming true, perhaps even the show theme was meant to draw focus on this, visiting Most Precious Blood (before a great show in Allentown, church does make a difference!). I know this is not new, but it was emphasized more or at least posted on Facebook more. it seemed to me as if the corps was planting seeds for next season as well as giving pep talks for Indy.

" If You Build It, They Will Come ". ( From the Movie.. " The Field of Dreams "..some of the location setting in the movie,.. Boston. )

I agree B. There is also some fun stuff like the 4th with the POPS and Tanglewood etc. I think in 017 the tall ships will be in Boston around the 4th.

Edited by emc2

I don't think it ever was Boston's goal to take the current member talent away from these two fine organizations (cadets/crown). It is really hard though to guess what young adults ultimately will decide to do on their own...It perhaps will be a mix of both...some will follow...some will not...BUT ultimately Boston in the long run HOPEFULLY will no longer be seen as a stepping stone corps and loose membership to the so called "elite"...

Whether it was Boston's goal or not, Michael Townsend is apparently calling for the members to "stick together" and follow him to BAC. You know, he's free to go wherever he feels is best for him and his family, but stripping Crown of their staff and membership is a bit low IMHO.

Whether it was Boston's goal or not, Michael Townsend is apparently calling for the members to "stick together" and follow him to BAC. You know, he's free to go wherever he feels is best for him and his family, but stripping Crown of their staff and membership is a bit low IMHO.

My how ironic this all is now ( haha!)

Everybody that has been on DCP for a little bit recalls that when I put forth the need for a transfer policy in DCI, everyone pooed pooed this on the grounds that ... " well, if Corps provide an environment in which marchers/staff feel appreciated, valued, and enjoy themselves there, want to be there, etc then they'd not be seeking to leave and go to other Corps. And if marchers/ staff leave, they have the perfect right to do so, and take their friends with them too, if they want."

The only thing " low" then, is the " low " understanding on how things have been done for decades in DCI, with these things. Some Marchers have chosen to follow their staffers to other Corps for over 40 years now, in cases where the staffer requested they do so, or the staffer didn't have to say a word to them, as they went to the Corps the staffer went to because they liked his instruction and how they were comfortable learning from him ( or her ). if people don't want to hear about the need to discuss transfer policies again, fine. Then learn to live with the consequences of that choice, when the shoe is on the other foot. Welcome to Boston, MT. You are a great teacher, and I hope your students decide to try out at Boston, whether MT personally asked you to try out at Boston, or not.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What's your anecdotal evidence?...well maybe you've talked to a lot of the members and know different?...If so, I apologize now for my first comment...I do not hear too many crying foul about Cadets taking Tom Aungst from Crown...is it LOW that GH supposed 'stole' crown staff as well?...I say NO it is not...It's called smart business...It was not too long ago in a certain proposal that Boston was considered irrelevant....well they don't appear to be all that irrelevant anymore...That said, I do understand that you can get a poor taste in your mouth over it...I'm a crown fan as well...I do think they will be okay through all of this...their brass did win the Jim Ott after all...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

IF that in fact is true it has nothing to do with either corps and kids can go wherever they choose ( they PAY) BUT I will say I would always question a staff member who goes out of their way to do this ( IF TRUE ) a kid can request to follow and thats ok BUT staff soliciting? thats a little different and if I were the next place I would wonder would they ( staff ) drain my corps next. ( AHHH you bet )

Edited by GUARDLING

IF that in fact is true it has nothing to do with either corps and kids can go wherever they choose ( they PAY) BUT I will say I would always question a staff member who goes out of their way to do this ( IF TRUE ) a kid can request to follow and thats ok BUT staff soliciting? thats a little different and if I were the next place I would wonder would they ( staff ) drain my corps next. ( AHHH you bet )

What is " low " however is impugning the well earned excellent reputation of Michael Townshend that he has been " soliciting" his students to all " stick together and follow him to Boston ". Does MT sound like a " low " behavior acting person that was on the Carolina Crown staff for years and years ? Any marcher that has marched in Carolina Crown, or anywhere else under MT, should ask themselves if they like MT being referred as a " low " behavior acting person right now like this. Is this the MT they have known for years ? If they don't believe that MT is a " low " behavior acting person, then the Boston Crusaders might indeed to a welcoming destination for those who do not appreciate seeing MT currently smeared in this fashion like this. Something to consider anyway, as applicants decide who to try out for at the upcoming tryout camps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2