2017 Boston Crusaders

Just now, Ghost said:

Take copious notes please.

Just for you, I will utilize my finast writing pad, and most superior writing instrument, Ghost.

I'll pm you maybe late Sunday.  I'm probably only going to make it for the one day of Sunday at this camp it looks like at the moment.

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well that's my feeling also but I've witnessed the huge backlash at Cadets over uni changes and it's real. 

I think there is a difference. The uniform change for Cadets, at least to outsiders, appeared to be arbitrary, against the advice of quite a few people, and a final straw for some alums. BAC is beginning a new era, and lots of leeway will be given. Of course if it doesn't work, there may be rumblings. Also BAC seems to be good at listening to alums, engaging them, but not letting them rule the corps. I do think Cadets does a good job at getting alums to shows and getting financial support from them, and while I haven't been to a Cadets home show since 2015 and the uniform change, I did sit in the Cadets block at Allentown that year with tons of Cadets alums of various ages, and they still cheered the corps and quickly came to the defense of the corps.

Just now, Tim K said:

I think there is a difference. The uniform change for Cadets, at least to outsiders, appeared to be arbitrary, against the advice of quite a few people, and a final straw for some alums. BAC is beginning a new era, and lots of leeway will be given. Of course if it doesn't work, there may be rumblings. Also BAC seems to be good at listening to alums, engaging them, but not letting them rule the corps. I do think Cadets does a good job at getting alums to shows and getting financial support from them, and while I haven't been to a Cadets home show since 2015 and the uniform change, I did sit in the Cadets block at Allentown that year with tons of Cadets alums of various ages, and they still cheered the corps and quickly came to the defense of the corps.

Speaking in general..and I mean in general. It is quite amusing when speaking to most alumni of any corps ( and I do) how they have a very different , often higher opinion of themselves and what they do and don't do in their eyes as well as others even with the same corps. 

My point is alumni can be a life line to any cops for many many wonderful reasons. There are corps that alumni feel they should be part of decision making ( not saying any corps in particular ) Some alumni have driven staff and even directors away. There are a few corps that alumni feel they are the best yet within the drum corps world have quite a different reputation.

All in all I think you are right that Cadets as well as many others do a good job with engaging alumni , as they should. I also do think, for the most part , even if a corps makes a decision against the fiber of what alumni think , after all the barking is done, most if not all alumni of all corps do want their legacy and drum corps to  succeed.

Good luck to whatever comes BAC's way

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, BRASSO said:

My hunch is that the Cadets Alumni backlash over the uniform changes are part and parcel of perhaps other disenchantments taking place within some segments the Cadets Alumni base with their current iterations of the Cadets . I believe that if the Cadets won DCI last season in their all blacks, the outcry on the uniform changes would have been far less critical among the Cadets Alumni base. GH made it too easy for some critics to equate their placement plummets the last 2 seasons to the abandonment of their 80+ year Corps colors. Whether the Cadets placement plummet is tied in any manner to the uniform choice is certainly just speculative at best. But it gave some Cadets Alums ammunition to claim that it was. Finally, don't caste all Cadets Alums into the same mold either. Some Cadets Alums did support the uniform change. How many is not clear, but it should be said as well.

I suspect you're correct but I never said ALL alumni but there was the vocal minority that expressed their discontentment. Anything other than top 3 for Cadets unfortunately is deemed an off season and the uni change has been perhaps a scapegoat for that in 2015-16. A new season is approaching and I sense many things will change. 

Good camp weather this weekend for the Boston Crusaders... sunny, dry, low humidity, temps around 75-80.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 10:26 AM, BRASSO said:

Good camp weather this weekend for the Boston Crusaders... sunny, dry, low humidity, temps around 75-80.

Ok, it's Sunday supper time and all the drum corps planet is waiting to hear.  Did you sneak in your nap, again?

It was great getting a chance to put faces to names this morning... Corps sounded great and was missing a few members from what I heard. Walking around the sectionals I don't think I've heard or seen(that really doesn't say much) such focus on the quality of sound at higher volumes. As for music, details aren't allowed on here from what I understand so all I can say is get to the April camp and enjoy! I wish the best for the corps and thoroughly enjoyed this past weekend! 

Edited by NavyCrusader
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Ok, it's Sunday supper time and all the drum corps planet is waiting to hear.  Did you sneak in your nap, again?

It was impossible to " nap " anywhere within 2 miles around Lakewood Ranch H.S. this Sunday between 11:30- 1 pm.. lol!.... nice seeing a few of the Florida wing of the Boston wing, of the Florida Retired wing of the Boston Crusaders that are " summer birds " in Florida... DCP NavyCrusader ( BAC alum from '99, 2000) was there and I Introduced him to current Corps Director, Chris Holland, and a few other Alums, fans, volunteers of the Corps. Enjoyed chatting with him, and his girlfriend today at BAC's camp.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

It was impossible to " nap " anywhere within 2 miles around Lakewood Ranch H.S. this Sunday between 11:30- 1 pm.. lol!....  

Oh goodie!  The big B has returned to his Winter bird nest and will be sending a PM soon.

Edited by Ghost