2017 Boston Crusaders

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well I'm sure at least one of the above marched Cadets. Cadetland is certainly a fertile land that nutures amazing talent over the years despite who's teaching. 

Jon marched soprano and aged out of Cadets while staying around as a tech under Zingali until GZ brought him to Star's staff. Jim Moore marched Spirit of Atlanta but found an instructing home with the Cadets, most notably during the 92 and 93 shows which Keith Potter marched in the rifle line and Leon May had moved from soprano to tech. I have fond memories of being the pencil sharpener runner for Jon and Leon on tour as they sneaked in writing their first band drills with Zingali looking over their shoulder making comments and corrections. That was still the graph paper, ruler, and French curve era. Jim too followed to later Star and Blast.

Carol has done day trips to visit and consult but never at Cadets long enough to be considered staff in my time. What happened mid=-90's I'm not sure as I was as much away doing my dissertation research.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Jon marched soprano and aged out of Cadets while staying around as a tech under Zingali until GZ brought him to Star's staff. Jim Moore marched Spirit of Atlanta but found an instructing home with the Cadets, most notably during the 92 and 93 shows which Keith Potter marched in the rifle line and Leon May had moved from soprano to tech. I have fond memories of being the pencil sharpener runner for Jon and Leon on tour as they sneaked in writing their first band drills with Zingali looking over their shoulder making comments and corrections. That was still the graph paper, ruler, and French curve era. Jim too followed to later Star and Blast.

Carol has done day trips to visit and consult but never at Cadets long enough to be considered staff in my time. What happened mid=-90's I'm not sure as I was as much away doing my dissertation research.

Carol marched a smaller corps then 27th with several of the folks who moved onto Cadets. She was never on Cadets formal staff as you say, but all three have deep roots with that same wonderful group of folks = along with Potter, May etc, etc...

Edited by George Dixon

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

I just noted where they had been recently.  I didn't post entire bios (including their marching history).  But feel free to be offended :doh:  

now BACk to Crusaders. :=)

. Congratulations Blessed Sacrament ( Cambridge, Ma. ) !

Blessed Sacrament, a recent joined member of the Inspire Arts & Music Group ( Parent Organization to the Boston Crusaders ) medaled earlier tonite at the Winter Guard International. Championships in the World Class Division. This is Blessed Sacrament's 1st medal since 2007 in their long and successful competitive endeavors in the World Class Division of WGI. They finished 3rd earlier tonite. Congratulations to Dolores Zappala. Meg Gallagher, staff, and especially the performers for their fine year, and medals finish. 

Congratulations are also in order to the Pride of Cincinnati Guard for repeating as Titliests in this World Class Division earlier tonite.   Boston's newly hired Visual Show Designers for 2017 ( Keith Potter, Michael Townshend ) are part of the Show Design team for the Pride of Cincinnati Color Guard. Congratulations as well to all those afilliated with Pride of Cincinnati for their Championship winning Title earlier tonite.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Finally was able to hear a bit of Boston's program... they're not messing around one bit.

Do you mean you heard some great music that will be in their program?  Or you heard Boston play music that's in their program?  That clarification would be significant.  Great music that might lead one to think "they're not messing around" might be more than they can handle,  as great as it may be,.  However,  if you heard great music being played by Boston at this point, then "not messing around one bit" takes on a very different meaning.  That being said, they'd still need to max out performance to live up to the "not messing around" hyperbole.  Hope you are right as it adds to the excitement.  Not hyping as one poster mentioned earlier (with a hype train reference), just being cautiously optimistic.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Do you mean you heard some great music that will be in their program?  Or you heard Boston play music that's in their program?  That clarification would be significant.  Great music that might lead one to think "they're not messing around" might be more than they can handle,  as great as it may be,.  However,  if you heard great music being played by Boston at this point, then "not messing around one bit" takes on a very different meaning.  That being said, they'd still need to max out performance to live up to the "not messing around" hyperbole.  Hope you are right as it adds to the excitement.  Not hyping as one poster mentioned earlier (with a hype train reference), just being cautiously optimistic.

It was their arrangement on a midi file

42 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

ALL music heard by humans is purely subjective as to whether or not it is " great music " and/ or great arrangments. LabMaster. Even the judges task of evaluating the playing of the music is an entirely subjective undertaking. Thus, nobody knows how the judges are going to judge ANY corps " great music " this summer. Thats why anybody hyping  ANY Corps music and / or its playing at this stage of the preseason really doesn't understand how pointless this all is at this stage, imo.

28 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

ALL music heard by humans is purely subjective as to whether or not it is " great music " and/ or great arrangments. LabMaster. Even the judges task of evaluating the playing of the music is an entirely subjective undertaking. Thus, nobody knows how the judges are going to judge ANY corps " great music " this summer. Thats why anybody hyping  ANY Corps music and / or its playing at this stage of the preseason really doesn't understand how pointless this all is at this stage, imo.

OK.  Not quite sure what message was being delivered but I was thinking I shouldn't refer to the program as crappy music. Just a frame of reference, not a judgment. That would seem contrary to the off season expectation that a new talented staff, with all their high level DC experience, would have put together a program design with good if not "great" music.  So I assumed "great" was an apt description as any to ask the question to learn what the poster heard.  Now we know, it was not the corps itself, but a midi file.  Which is perfectly OK, but with the understanding that the music selection is, and/or the arrangement is; "not messing around".  It still elevates the anticipation and gives the comment some context.  And anticipation is all we have to go on for the next few weeks.