2017 Boston Crusaders

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

OK.  Not quite sure what message was being delivered but I was thinking I shouldn't refer to the program as crappy music. Just a frame of reference, not a judgment. That would seem contrary to the off season expectation that a new talented staff, with all their high level DC experience, would have put together a program design with good if not "great" music.  So I assumed "great" was an apt description as any to ask the question to learn what the poster heard.  Now we know, it was not the corps itself, but a midi file.  Which is perfectly OK, but with the understanding that the music selection is, and/or the arrangement is; "not messing around".  It still elevates the anticipation and gives the comment some context.  And anticipation is all we have to go on for the next few weeks.

We basically agree here. I do think the poster could have clarified a bit better what he was stating in his initial comment.

As for expectation, Corps that add Championship winning staffs guarantee no automatic improvement in either show design, nor better performance levels by marchers. Likewise, Corps that lost significant portions of their Championships winning Staffs can't assume they can readily and easily replace them without some levels of slippage in both Show Design and marcher performance levels. Anythings possible in a major shakeup of staffs. both great, good & bad outcomes, as well as everything in between.  As for the Boston Crusaders I think right now, its appropriate to have a little.. ok, maybe even a lot.. of optimism for their prospects. I  have heard over 6 minutes of the show played live, and I'm encouraged. I see no long term benefits to hyperbole.. really. Judges and fans won't be impressed with hype and hyperbole of any of these Corps by the time, the real deal rolls around anyway. Remember, in the off season, EVERY Corps has their legions of True Believers hyping their Corps publically as  having " great music " and playing it  " great " to their ears. Having heard Boston at each camp now, I won't succumb to that, nor subject readers to that. Thats because what I might like, others might not see and hear the same as me... including the judges. But again, I agree with your wanting more clarity on posters comments.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

It was their arrangement on a midi file

I'm hoping that they can live up to the hype, for the members sake.

Just now, tesmusic said:

I am unclear on what you mean by hype.  I'm not sure I'd characterize most comments here as hype. I'm not getting hype as much as hope.  Hope they move up...hopefully optimistic.  I think most comments I've seen on this thread from BAC fans and alumni have been restrained.  Maybe that stems from a lack of substantive program updates; aka hype.  But the same seems to be true in general from all corps this year.  So little information coming out keeps a lid on hype as we've known it in previous off seasons. wouldn't you agree?  And I honestly can't say I have disliked it all that much; the hype I mean.

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

I am unclear on what you mean by hype.  I'm not sure I'd characterize most comments here as hype. I'm not getting hype as much as hope.  Hope they move up...hopefully optimistic.  I think most comments I've seen on this thread from BAC fans and alumni have been restrained.  Maybe that stems from a lack of substantive program updates; aka hype.  But the same seems to be true in general from all corps this year.  So little information coming out keeps a lid on hype as we've known it in previous off seasons. wouldn't you agree?  And I honestly can't say I have disliked it all that much; the hype I mean.

I'm not simply referring to comments posted on here. 

Think about it, were the Boston Crusaders discussed in these forums to the level they have been leading up to 2017? 

There's a great deal of chatter on here, as well as by people on Facebook, Reddit, etc. and in personal conversations thanks to their staff changes, etc. 

My comment was not as one-dimensional as you're trying to make it.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

What " hype " are you talking about ? With Boston ? Maybe you are hearing a lot of " hype " on Boston's music away from DCP, but theres been little public hype on Boston's show or music so far on here. ( a few DCP'ers have predicted Boston failing to make TOP 12 this season.. are you aware of these dire outcomes made in some quarters here on DCP  ? ) As near as I can tell, I'm the only DCP'er on here that has heard Boston's music played live at every off season camp, and I sure as heck have not publically " hyped "  Boston's  music as " great ", nor as being played " great ". I have only mostly described it as music that is " intense, demanding, passionate, etc " and so forth, as a description of its " type ".  So I don't think Boston's marchers are going to be effected with  " hype " talk that doesn't exist on DCP ( nor with DCP predictions of failure for Boston to qualify for Saturday Nite & Top 12 Status at Championships this season either)  There is " hype " to be found on Corps here in the off season on DCP, imo, if one is looking for that, and you're concerned with that hype effect on their marchers if that " hype " does not match those outcomes. But  " hype " is not really found that much on this Boston Crusaders thread so far this off season, imo. 

Edited by BRASSO

56 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I think most comments I've seen on this thread from BAC fans and alumni have been restrained. 

Thats my sense from reading the public comments here on DCP, LabMaster re. the 2017 Boston Crusaders. One of mostly " restraint "... and cautious " optimism ". Like all Corps, fans and alums of Boston are very excited for the season to begin anew !

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I am unclear on what you mean by hype.  I think most comments I've seen on this thread from BAC fans and alumni have been restrained.   

Recent years leading up to the beginning of the season, comments were not as restrained.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Think about it, were the Boston Crusaders discussed in these forums to the level they have been leading up to 2017? 

No. But thats quite different than your comment above that you are detecting  unusual " hype " from Boston alums/ fans here on DCP this off season. If you go on every Corps facebook page or website, you will detect optimism and high expectations being expressed there from both marchers and staffers alike... and verbally too. Several posters on the DCP thread.. " what are you looking to see this season thread",   have cited East Coast Corps Boston, Cadets, Crown with these staff changes.  But thats to be expected. But thats not to be viewed as a Boston " hype " by anyone on here. Thats more of a curiosity thing with most fans that are stating this, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

17 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Recent years leading up to the beginning of the season, comments were not as restrained.

You know, thats an excellent point. Lessons perhaps were learned from that too. This could explain many Boston's alums/ fans more noticeable public restraint and much more publically cautious approach this off season, Ghost.  Also, there is far less info made publically available to ascertain levels of progress with all these Corps this off season too, Boston included... unless one is present themselves.

Edited by BRASSO