2017 Boston Crusaders

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Whether it's a good thing or not, if I were to pick one caption to be strong, it would be guard. Sad in a way since it still is DRUM and BUGLE corps but WGI has spread its influence into summer marching.

Got news for ya. It's been a huge factor for decades!..lol But youre right a strong guard and visual program are very important factors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

See 2015 results. Guard is everything 

I think some people might be underestimating how high Boston can go this year. Possibly as high as 7 or 6 imo depending obviously on how the other corps do. If a few falter even as high as 5th if they have a great show. 

You're correct as always (we think alike). This MAY be a season where all the typical "trends" are eliminated and corps move all over the place. (SCV FIRST, BD THIRD, BLOO AND CROWN OUT IF TOP THREE). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tobias said:

Whether it's a good thing or not, if I were to pick one caption to be strong, it would be guard. Sad in a way since it still is DRUM and BUGLE corps but WGI has spread its influence into summer marching.

When it comes to color guard, Boston Crusaders have a history of strength. In the mid 70's when I first started following drum corps, 27th had an amazing guard that was feared nationally, North Star would develop a proficient and entertaining guard that boasted of having some individuals who were believed to be the best, and BAC always had guards that more than gave both a run for their money, and since BAC predates 27th and both predate North Star, may very well as set the stage for the guard rivalry.

Since WGI is 40 years old, DCI is 45, pre WGI is pretty much pre DCI. In the "tic" days, marching and maneuvering often was the key. I can remember a CYO circuit show in either 1975 or 76 that would break a tie between two corps hoping to be one of the circuit representatives in CYO Nationals. The rumor was that one of the M &M judges was so precise, he had an index card that he would attempt to insert between the feet of marching members during "concert" to make sure our heels were together and had a protractor to make sure our feet were all at the same angle. Can't say it happened, but the stress was on cleanliness. This would have been when GE began playing a more prominent role and in a very short period of time would be key, but in the days many consider the glory days, "How loud can you get," amazing drumming techniques and incredible rifle tosses won the hearts of fans,  but cleanliness often wooed the judges.  

15 hours ago, Tobias said:

I agree, but I've stopped complaining about it. Nobody's gonna listen to me!

35 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The issue worsened when GE music and GE visual became (virtually) GE visual 1 and GE visual 2. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The issue worsened when GE music and GE visual became (virtually) GE visual 1 and GE visual 2. 

I agree, but I'm trying hard no to hijack this thread with a tangent.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Something tells me brass and percussion will be pretty solid too.   Just a gut feeling though.  Not like I've seen anything to back that assumption up or anything.  

:ninja:

I would agree with this.  With the change in staff, Gino, Colin and others and the newer off season quality demands on all playing, I see improvement in brass and percussion performance quality being substantial.  Add the anticipated improvement in guard,  and all performance aspects should be markedly better.  I'll be visiting ST next weekend and will see and hear for myself.  Hoping the weather doesn't suck.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I would agree with this.  With the change in staff, Gino, Colin and others and the newer off season quality demands on all playing, I see improvement in brass and percussion performance quality being substantial.  Add the anticipated improvement in guard,  and all performance aspects should be markedly better.  I'll be visiting ST next weekend and will see and hear for myself.  Hoping the weather doesn't suck.

I think Brass and percussion programs take a few years to be developed. They'll improve but takes time to move up through the ranks. I do think the guard program will be very strong since some CrownGuard members moved with staff and BAC always had a strong guard program IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I'll listen to you especially when you agree with me.