2017 Boston Crusaders

38 minutes ago, Lance said:

be careful

a small handful of crazies might start pulling out their stopwatches now

I would be shocked if it didn't happen. It happens every year a few weeks into the season. Then come the arguments of what constitutes full brass playing time vs. soloist / small ensemble time. And let's not forget stop time / park and bark time. Now that I think about it, maybe this should be on the predictions thread.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I hope they tip their hat to ergot

What does this even mean?...right OVER my head...

Question I had when watching the BFDTV video, do we know if the vocalist (who makes it look effortless btw, props to her) is supposed to be Abigail or Elizabeth?

Also just watched the Boston concert performance.  I assume the vocalist is the same talent as the past couple years. Need MORE of her in this production!

Overall, I was NOT particularly enthused by this appearance. But, I'm sure my disappointment will be short-lived!  High end DCI productions never seem to play as well under those conditions.  First of all, an appearance like this is lacking far too many sensory elements. But, based upon what I was given HERE, the music is too complex for casual viewers, lacking accessible melody, for those walking downtown. Had Crusaders played Stars and Stripes Forever, or Conquest, the "sale" would be an automatic success!  This was a percussion performance, backed-up with brass. As an older, decades-long, drum corps enthusiast, I prefer a BRASS performance supported by percussion.

What I saw in attire has got to be a stripped-down version of the actual competition wear. This was simply bland. There isn't a top DCI staff that would go out with such a look on the field of battle. I do understand, so no problem.

The music (as experienced today) was not enthralling to me, a non-musician. Hope you understand.

Edited by Fred Windish

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

What does this even mean?...right OVER my head...

"rye ergot fungus"  bread mold, recent proposed/ debunked theory of a potential cause or contributor of the Salem Witch hysteria.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Also just watched the Boston concert performance.  I assume the vocalist is the same talent as the past couple years. Need MORE of her in this production!

Overall, I was NOT particularly enthused by this appearance. But, I'm sure my disappointment will be short-lived!  High end DCI productions never seem to play as well under those conditions.  First of all, an appearance like this is lacking far too many sensory elements. But, based upon what I was given HERE, the music is too complex for casual viewers, lacking accessible melody, for those walking downtown. Had Crusaders played Stars and Stripes Forever, or Conquest, the "sale" would be an automatic success!  This was a percussion performance, backed-up with brass.

As an older, decades-long, drum corps enthusiast, I prefer a BRASS performance supported by percussion. What I saw in attire has got to be a stripped-down version of the actual competition wear. This was simply bland. There isn't a top DCI staff that would go out with such a look on the field of battle. I do understand, so no problem.

The music (as experienced today) was not enthralling to me, a non-musician. Hope you understand.

Actually, they did play 'Conquest' and a classic brass warm-up .. heard the show was a hit with the public, the Mayor, and their Corporate Sponsors, too.  It will be a great year for competition, complete with lots of surprises.

13 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

Actually, they did play 'Conquest' and a classic brass warm-up .. heard the show was a hit with the public, the Mayor, and their Corporate Sponsors, too.  It will be a great year for competition, complete with lots of surprises.

Very glad to hear this!

There is a REAL dichotomy with drum corps today. What works in competition, might NOT work to the casual observer. I do get it!   I've presented standstill drum corps in public, to non-enthusiasts, many times. It's a challenge, to say the least. I always asked myself "Does this sell tickets to these neighbors?"  My answer (to me) was. . . . .probably, a few.

• Like 1

Just now, Fred Windish said:

Very glad to hear this!

There is a REAL dichotomy with drum corps today. What works in competition, might NOT work to the casual observer. I do get it!   I've presented standstill drum corps in public, to non-enthusiasts, many times. It's a challenge, to say the least. I always asked myself "Does this sell tickets to these neighbors?"  My answer (to me) was. . . . .probably, a few.

I hear ya, Fred. Trying to adjust to all the changes and let the younger ones enjoy their Drum Corps experiences. I miss the 'baby throwing' and goose bumps.. maybe they'll return this year. Standstills are a great way to sell the activity and get the members 'up close and personal' to the public.