2017 Boston Crusaders

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

The Pilgrims settled in Plymouth. The Puritans settled in Salem and Boston. The Pilgrims were not terribly well educated, while the Puritans typically were highly educated. While the Pilgrims were Separatists, the Puritans were non-separating Congregationalists...Just sayin'

Point taken , then substitute Puritans for Pilgrims. I think it comes down to what you go to a drum corps show for and for me it is to be entertained by a musical presentation enhanced by visuals. I have a problem when the performance is so theatrical that it restricts the music. I am not looking for a play and a troubled dark performance is not my cup of tea. Point of illustration: I loved 2016 Bluecoats but not so much 2016 Crown despite the strength of their performance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Geneva said:

Point taken , then substitute Puritans for Pilgrims. I think it comes down to what you go to a drum corps show for and for me it is to be entertained by a musical presentation enhanced by visuals. I have a problem when the performance is so theatrical that it restricts the music. I am not looking for a play and a troubled dark performance is not my cup of tea. Point of illustration: I loved 2016 Bluecoats but not so much 2016 Crown despite the strength of their performance.

That is why this activity is so great..there is always something out there for our differing tastes.. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Probably in the minority but I think if you are bringing Gino in you need to give them a harder book.  Sound great but need more technicality to hang with the top groups that people want them to go against.

IMO the hole show is technicality put together as one.  Not just around the horn line etc.

Edited by emc2
spelling

3 minutes ago, Liahona said:

That is why this activity is so great..there is always something out there for our differing tastes.. :)

I like the Crusaders but am frustrated by the overwhelming amount of minor key based material they have done recently. Some of this year's show seems repetitive rhythmically and tonally.

28 minutes ago, Geneva said:

I understand where you're coming from here with this Geneva too.. as the saying goes " different strokes for different folks".  I'd imagine theres a reason most successful Ice Cream Shoppes serve more than just vanilla, strawberry, chocolate ice cream flavors too. Not everyone is gonna like the same flavors on whats being served up either. Personal preference tastes in music, theatre, cinema, art, dance, etc are all just that too... personal in nature.  Thus, theres really no right, nor wrong answers..  haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Geneva said:

I like the Crusaders but am frustrated by the overwhelming amount of minor key based material they have done recently. Some of this year's show seems repetitive rhythmically and tonally.

I like dark, creepy, and execrable...

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, drummergirl said:

Giant just brought me to tears :cry:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I understand where you're coming from here with this Geneva too.. as the saying goes " different strokes for different folks".  I'd imagine theres a reason most successful Ice Cream Shoppes serve more than just vanilla, strawberry, chocolate ice cream flavors too. Not everyone is gonna like the same flavors on whats being served up either. Personal preference tastes in music, theatre, cinema, art, dance, etc are all just that... personal in nature.  Thus, theres really no right, nor wrong answers..  haha!

I wonder what Ed Denon would say about this years show.

3 minutes ago, emc2 said:

I wonder what Ed Denon would say about this years show.

I think he'd love it !. He would have loved to have had a BAC brass line this large, this good, to handle this level of demand, complexity, nuance, dynamics, arrangements, etc

• Like 3