2017 Boston Crusaders

Just now, Tim K said:

First, this is a Boston distinction between a milk shake and frappe. As the son and grandson of pharmacists who had stores with soda fountains, a frappe had ice cream and sauce/syrup, a milk shake just the sauce/syrup. I think this is how Brigham's distinguished the two as I believe Bailey's did. Friendley's has a thick frappe they called a Fribble which had ice cream and their milk shakes at one time used ice milk (remember that disgusting product) in place of ice cream along with syrup. Newport Creamery called their frappes Awful Awful's. 

Man, you sure are the connoisseur of these treats.

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

First, this is a Boston distinction between a milk shake and frappe. As the son and grandson of pharmacists who had stores with soda fountains, a frappe had ice cream and sauce/syrup, a milk shake just the sauce/syrup. I think this is how Brigham's distinguished the two as I believe Bailey's did. Friendley's has a thick frappe they called a Fribble which had ice cream and their milk shakes at one time used ice milk (remember that disgusting product) in place of ice cream along with syrup. Newport Creamery called their frappes Awful Awful's. 

The one that I like was Friendly's.  From Springfield Ma I think.

47 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Believe it or not, there are still a few Newport Creameries around. I just drove by one this week in N. Fall River. Only a handful left - and I don't think too many more Friendly's either. Sad! :43_slight_frown:

last time I was in Friendly's was 2005 when I lived in  North Andover. I was living in the Den Rock Park apartments across Wintrop ave. Not far from the show site! I wish I still lived there. Dammmmmm HOT where I'm at now. 

Just now, Ghost said:

Today is the first time since mid June I believe that we have been under 100.

in New England?

My Goodness. 

55 minutes ago, GlenI said:

Believe it or not, there are still a few Newport Creameries around. I just drove by one this week in N. Fall River. Only a handful left - and I don't think too many more Friendly's either. Sad! :43_slight_frown:

Yes.  There are  a few old Ice cream stands around my area they make home made ice cream  which is very good.  If you want a big cup ice cream Kimbles over near the old Fort Devens. Go on a Friday night they have all the old cars there from 50;/60's/70's etc.  Good food as well.

Edited by emc2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, emc2 said:

Yes.  There are  a few old Ice cream stands around my area they makel home made ice cream  which is very good.  If you want a big cup ice cream Kimbles over near the old Fort Devens. Go on a Friday night they have all the old cars there from 50;/60's/70's etc.  Good food as well.

Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the information. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Today is the first time since mid June I believe that we have been under 100.

I here it's been average of 100 out there.

1 hour ago, GlenI said:

Saw a brand new Friendlys the other day in Amherst, NH.  It might be in Nashua.  Right on the line.