2017 Boston Crusaders

56 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

All I would say is that if the audience is happy that an innocent person was murdered on bogus charges, that's ... problematic.

I agree. Thats why I'm not as jaded or cynical regarding most of the Drum Corps fans of today in DCI on why they are " happy " and are  applauding enthusiastically at the completion of Boston's performance wherever they appear this summer. I'd like to think the fans of DCI today are " happy " to see Boston put on a good performance with a compelling show with a theme that is understandable and relatable to most of them. That said, why most people in a Drum Corps audiences are " happy "  with a show, or " not happy " with the entertainment performed is really in their domain, not mine. I don't consider their " happiness " to be problematic for me.. and it does not seem to be so for them either. if I'm " unhappy " with a Corps show, .. for whatever reason... that might be " problematic " for me, but it does not mean that my unhappiness has to be problematic for YOU. So my suggestion is to not get too overly psychologically analytical here on why most audiences are " happy " this summer with Boston's Drum Corps show/ performance. My guess, if I did analyse it in great detail, they'd be perhaps 100 different reasons why they are " happy " and cheering. So I don't go into it all that deeply as to the why they are happy.  I'm just thrilled that they are.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

All I would say is that if the audience is happy that an innocent person was murdered on bogus charges, that's ... problematic.

(And I'm not saying audiences do feel that way about Boston's show.)

You understand my point. It's a piece of the story that is worthy of attention: how we, the audience (much like the Salem villagers), are applauding and cheering for innocent blood. The show is spectacular. It would be surprising if the designers don't milk the possibility of what is arguably the most important point of the show's theme. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

You understand my point. It's a piece of the story that is worthy of attention: how we, the audience (much like the Salem villagers), are applauding and cheering for innocent blood. The show is spectacular. It would be surprising if the designers don't milk the possibility of what is arguably the most important point of the show's theme. 

The show does need more drill at the end - I think that's what others are referring to. However I'm also more in the NE (poster) camp that a more solemn reaction is appropriate and the programming could add an epilogue and grief to the end in a meaningful but effective way. That may be planned. It shouldn't be a "baby throwing" moment IMO

The effect is great, they should change the name of the "witch" to a fictional name so we aren't burning someone who actually was hanged. I get poetic license but that's my opinion on that topic

The other thing I'd encourage them to do is eliminate a bit of the body work and add drill in one or two spots in the show - leave it in the ballad where it works quite well. There's a little too much

Other than that clean and raise those performance levels. Clearly the judges like the show as well as audiences, so take a good product and max it out!

The are obviously having a terrific season - hope the next 2 weeks are fantastic! 

• Like 1

Some of the discussion on this show this year has been pretty........interesting.  

I can't speak for anyone else but my pretty enthusiastic responses in Belton and San Antonio were because the show and MMs blew me away for twelve minutes, not because I'm cheering at the portrayal of someone getting burnt at the stake at the very end.  I can't say joy and happiness are the kinds of emotions I felt watching this show on a thematic basis but I'm totally okay with other emotions too, it's refreshing honestly.  

I guess if we're down to talking artistic liberties and how crowds are interpreting it rather than parts of the show or performance aspects.........things must be going pretty #### well on the field.  And they certainly are.  

:)

Just found that interesting........carry on.  Can't wait to see the show again.  

• Like 6

Nicely done Boston...a win!!! Keep up the good work.  Now a couple of days of work;  layer and clean, layer and clean.  This is going to be the longest week of the year until I see the show in Lawrence.  In the meantime keep pushing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

BAC is just offering a history lesson to the overwhelming amount of people who do not have a clue about the Salem ( that is on the north shore of Boston ) Witch Trials. It was just the beginning of many instances where so many people were persecuted for living outside the boundry's and social mores at that time.

For us older types, we remember when a commercial truck could not be driven on a Sunday, no alcohol allowrd to be consumed or sold on a Sunday.  Segregation, in schools and restaurants.

Bostons show should be on the History Channel

I hear you Rhumbline... now... if I can just get the Boston show to be error free on the Flo Channel, instead of the History Channel, I'll settle for that over the next 3 weeks.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

BAC is absolutely wonderful live. I hope this show goes far. Cavies better watch out...

Cavies are good too this year. Should be a good one when they match up again Sunday nite in Winston- Salem, N.C.  in the TOC show there. Boston is now off until then to practice, clean until Sunday night.

• Like 3