2017 Boston Crusaders

52 minutes ago, Rhumbline said:

BAC is just offering a history lesson to the overwhelming amount of people who do not have a clue about the Salem (that is on the north shore of Boston) Witch Trials. It was just the beginning of many instances where so many people were persecuted for living outside the boundaries and social mores at that time.

I don't think Boston should change this aspect, but since you perceive the show in part as a "history lesson", it should perhaps be mentioned again that none of the "witches" in Salem were burned to death. Most were hanged. One person who refused to enter a plea was tortured to death by the placement of large stones on his chest. (All he would say is "more weight"--because he didn't enter a plea, he couldn't be found guilty and his family couldn't be disinherited.) Obviously burning is more visually effective.

One interesting aspect of The Crucible, Arthur Miller's famous play about the event that was in part a denunciation of the 1950s "witch hunt" tactics of anti-Communists, is that the hero, John Procter, is guilty of adultery, and the leader of the young women accusing so many of witchcraft knows that he would prefer to keep that sin private. One of Miller's points is that we all have secrets, and thus are all in danger of being compromised when a hysterical frenzy like this arises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't think Boston should change this aspect, but since you perceive the show in part as a "history lesson", it should perhaps be mentioned again that none of the "witches" in Salem were burned to death. Most were hanged. One person who refused to enter a plea was tortured to death by the placement of large stones on his chest. (All he would say is "more weight"--because he didn't enter a plea, he couldn't be found guilty and his family couldn't be disinherited.) Obviously burning is more visually effective.

One interesting aspect of The Crucible, Arthur Miller's famous play about the event that was in part a denunciation of the 1950s "witch hunt" tactics of anti-Communists, is that the hero, John Procter, is guilty of adultery, and the leader of the young women accusing so many of witchcraft knows that he would prefer to keep that sin private. One of Miller's points is that we all have secrets, and thus are all in danger of being compromised when a hysterical frenzy like this arises.

Just last week Salem dedicated a memorial to the witch trials and the women who were hanged ( and yes we KNOW they were hanged). 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

broken record and beating a dead horse

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

Guilty!

DFyxFTQUQAAeZs5.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Just last week Salem dedicated a memorial to the witch trials and the women who were hanged ( and yes we KNOW they were hanged). 

Not all of us, apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

broken record and beating a dead horse

Er, I was responding to someone who said this show makes for a good history lesson. If not for that comment, I wouldn't have responded as I did.

I like this show! I want it to place at least fifth! I'm the person who listed Boston's 25 best-ever scores the other day and asked how many of them would fall!

Edited to add: I figure there's a good chance that this show's climax is one of the moments the "Big, Loud & Live" hosts replay at the end of the cinema-cast evening as being one of their favorite highlights.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But despite his flaws, Procter is a hero, who stands firm despite all opposition. I appreciate that, whether the hero's name is John or Susan or Lisa or anyone else whose actions I stayed up late tonight to watch (while listening to various heroic-sounding drum corps music in the background, I might add; it's an emotional evening).

And I think that's how we're supposed to feel about the victim of injustice at the end of Boston's show: she is heroic despite being defeated by society's evil. Or as one of the most famous early English poems says:

Thought must be the harder, heart be the keener,
courage be the greater, as our strength lessens.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Never pass up the opportunity to quote a great poem.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And I think that's how we're supposed to feel about the victim of injustice at the end of Boston's show: she is heroic despite being defeated by society's evil. Or as one of the most famous early English poems says:

Thought must be the harder, heart be the keener,
courage be the greater, as our strength lessens.

I like this :)

• Like 1