Cadets 2017

If your tradition involves showing respect then do not bother changing. Standing at attention is an honorable and disciplined gesture. Not celebrating when winning, not crying when losing, leaving the field when asked, well these are just professional and courteous things to do. All the mingling and congratulating can be done in the parking lot. It's taking way too long to get to the encore performance.

• Like 5

Criticizing corps for being celebratory at retreats is just as sad as criticizing Cadets for standing at attention. They're both fine. Get over it.

And on that note, so are the black uniforms. I love them and they still fit the style of the corps. I would love to see a flash of maroon somewhere but overall I think they match the demeanor and look sharp and classy.

• Like 1

I wonder about the "tradition" and the Cadets.

I've watched the last three finals retreats. As each corps is announced we get a closeup of the designees of each corps who is receiving their award. And I have noticed that in 33 of the 36 cases, there were smiles on the faces of those receiving their awards. In 3 cases, I saw glum, frowns or completely unemotional faces. Is that a tradition as well? When that is followed without the members publicly expressing congratulations to the winners/other corps, the tradition of just marching out as the first opportunity seems to me to be a tradition which may be fit for a former time, but not today. It appeared shocking in 2014. And seemed to many to be less than honoring to the other corps. To just say "That's our tradition" may placate those who held to that tradition in the past, but it may not be what is appropriate today.

Now if you want to say that the cadets waited around in the parking lot until after the encore to congratulate the winners in 2014 ,2015 and 2016 that would be one thing, but I'm guessing not. A few might have, I'll give you that.

I would much rather see the unorganized milling around and seeing the Blue Devils and the Bluecoats working their way over to congratulate the Academy, than a staid marching out one by one. And in each of the last 3 years on the broadcast, the commentators emphasized how great it was to see the corps mingling and congratulating each other.

This is not the 50s, 60s or 70s when all corps honored the same traditions. It is a new century and the MMs in each of these corps know each other, they may have marched DCI, or WGI with them. They do feel good for each other. Let them express it. It does not hurt anything. And, given the freedom to express it, they will.

Tradition is an arrow pointing to the Past

Innovation is an arrow pointing to the Future.

PamahoNow

edited: grammer

Edited by PamahoNow

You're still missing the point that the colors of the Cadets' traditional uniform represented specific religious aspects which were the basis of the core of their collective understanding of what it meant to be a Cadet, what and why they preach Cadet excellence, and who it was and why that specific type of uniform was chosen.

The pajama game of outfitting came into WGI because it was cheap, trampy, and supposedly tied into the more artistic aura of the ballet studio. It maintained because scholastic groups had limited budgets with limited fundraising opportunities; it maintained because it fit under bulky winter clothes as not all competitive venues had lockerooms, practice areas (other than parking lots, etc.)

Unfortunately no one has yet to write either a compendium of either DCI history or WGI history from the viewpoint of practical trends of how the activity got where it is today. Many of the decisions (like 128 MMs and now 150 MMs) have nothing with any of the clap trap spewed by the media myth mongers about artistic abilities, it was because Bob Holton of St. Andrew's Bridgemen had over 128 kids which is what 3 coach busses held. When the coach busses became longer and sat 50, the size of corps increased with recognition that there were now fewer competitive corps in which kids could join the activity. What corps wore followed similar trends; not every unit in DCI or WGI has a BD bank account to change every year for every show. If such costuming considerations would be assessed standard, does the vesture have to change if the corps changes the show as many times as the Cadets did this summer? (Note to the noobies, There have been summers in the Zingali years and after when the Cadets changed the show even more often than this. Ask a vet.)

I'm sure your post was made with the best of intentions, but you have your facts regarding The Cadets' uniforms a bit confused. The uniforms were selected by a committee consisting of Cadets, Cadet Alumni of the period (3 years) and Adult staff. They decided on a West Point style uniform. One of the adult leaders at the time was a Garfield policeman, who may or may not have had connections at West Point. A letter was sent to West Point requesting permission to duplicate their uniforms, in a different color combination; a request that was generously granted. The maroon, gold, and white colors were the colors of Holy Name Church, so that's why those colors were chosen. I doubt if anyone expected the spectacular color impact that resulted. The Cadets also adopted The West Point Code of Conduct and and a modified version of West Points' Disciplinary Code. The uniforms were first worn at the 1939 World Fair. At a parade in New York City in which both the Holy Name Cadets and a contingent of West Point Cadets participated, we were presented with two officer sabres for our Color Guard Captains to carry. All these various elements, plus our close relationship with The American Legion (a huge organization at that time) cemented our early military identity. It should also probably be noted that during that era drum corps competitions consisted of basic military drill maneuvers. We were very proud of our military identification and affiliation, and a number of Cadet traditions emerged during that period as well. We are also very proud that a significant number of Holy Name Cadets eventually wound up at The Military Academy at West Point, The Naval Academy, The Air Force Academy (which came into the picture later) and several other prestigious military academies. You are correct in noting that The Church played a significant role in the early Holy Name Cadets. I joined The Cadets in 1950. I was not Catholic, but I was never asked about my religion. There were at least two jewish boys in the corps that I remember, as well as a number of boys of other religions. Our founder, John Baumfalk, attended a Dutch Reformed Church around the corner from Holy Name. Virtually all corps in New Jersey at that time were sponsored by Catholic Churches. The Holy Name Cadets, however, were the most military-oriented corps, and also the most successful competitively (not implying that our competitors from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts were not also very successful competitively). The musical focus of drum corps began to evolve from marches to other types of music around the mid 1950s. Holy Name adapted much more slowly to this change than some of our most serious competitors. Drills also began to change during that period from strictly military to visual productions more complimentary to the music that was being performed. I do not, however, recall any of our most serious traditions undergoing change. We were still an all-male corps and off the field at least very military oriented. Now, 83 years later, the traditions that remain are products of those early all-male years. Over the years, of course, and with the addition of female Cadets, traditions sometimes changed to reflect the changing makeup of the corps. The Cadet uniforms, however, remained unchanged throughout all those years. The were respected by the Cadets who wore them in more recent years, and viewed by others as the unchangeable branded symbol of 83 years of Cadet and drum corps History. Even now, if most people would be asked to name the enduring symbol of drum corps, The Cadet uniforms would probably come to mind. So, all the preceding is how The Cadets became who and what they are. To the young posters whose taste in drum corps favor a different approach, it is my observation that they neither know much or care much about drum corps history. Is it important to chose one approach to the exclusion of another? I personally feel that to do so would diminish the appeal of our very unique activity. We have to keep in mind that whatever the flavor of the month might be now, it will, far sooner than you probably expect, be something else tomorrow. Hopefully our activity has grown enough to incorporate any style of performance that has, does, or will exist, before you have the time to say: traditions and history are pointless, your Flavor of the month might very well be yesterday's news.

• Like 4

I'm sure your post was made with the best of intentions, but you have your facts regarding The Cadets' uniforms a bit confused. The uniforms were selected by a committee consisting of Cadets, Cadet Alumni of the period (3 years) and Adult staff. They decided on a West Point style uniform. One of the adult leaders at the time was a Garfield policeman, who may or may not have had connections at West Point. A letter was sent to West Point requesting permission to duplicate their uniforms, in a different color combination; a request that was generously granted. The maroon, gold, and white colors were the colors of Holy Name Church, so that's why those colors were chosen. I doubt if anyone expected the spectacular color impact that resulted. The Cadets also adopted The West Point Code of Conduct and and a modified version of West Points' Disciplinary Code. The uniforms were first worn at the 1939 World Fair. At a parade in New York City in which both the Holy Name Cadets and a contingent of West Point Cadets participated, we were presented with two officer sabres for our Color Guard Captains to carry. All these various elements, plus our close relationship with The American Legion (a huge organization at that time) cemented our early military identity. It should also probably be noted that during that era drum corps competitions consisted of basic military drill maneuvers. We were very proud of our military identification and affiliation, and a number of Cadet traditions emerged during that period as well. We are also very proud that a significant number of Holy Name Cadets eventually wound up at The Military Academy at West Point, The Naval Academy, The Air Force Academy (which came into the picture later) and several other prestigious military academies. You are correct in noting that The Church played a significant role in the early Holy Name Cadets. I joined The Cadets in 1950. I was not Catholic, but I was never asked about my religion. There were at least two jewish boys in the corps that I remember, as well as a number of boys of other religions. Our founder, John Baumfalk, attended a Dutch Reformed Church around the corner from Holy Name. Virtually all corps in New Jersey at that time were sponsored by Catholic Churches. The Holy Name Cadets, however, were the most military-oriented corps, and also the most successful competitively (not implying that our competitors from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts were not also very successful competitively). The musical focus of drum corps began to evolve from marches to other types of music around the mid 1950s. Holy Name adapted much more slowly to this change than some of our most serious competitors. Drills also began to change during that period from strictly military to visual productions more complimentary to the music that was being performed. I do not, however, recall any of our most serious traditions undergoing change. We were still an all-male corps and off the field at least very military oriented. Now, 83 years later, the traditions that remain are products of those early all-male years. Over the years, of course, and with the addition of female Cadets, traditions sometimes changed to reflect the changing makeup of the corps. The Cadet uniforms, however, remained unchanged throughout all those years. The were respected by the Cadets who wore them in more recent years, and viewed by others as the unchangeable branded symbol of 83 years of Cadet and drum corps History. Even now, if most people would be asked to name the enduring symbol of drum corps, The Cadet uniforms would probably come to mind. So, all the preceding is how The Cadets became who and what they are. To the young posters whose taste in drum corps favor a different approach, it is my observation that they neither know much or care much about drum corps history. Is it important to chose one approach to the exclusion of another? I personally feel that to do so would diminish the appeal of our very unique activity. We have to keep in mind that whatever the flavor of the month might be now, it will, far sooner than you probably expect, be something else tomorrow. Hopefully our activity has grown enough to incorporate any style of performance that has, does, or will exist, before you have the time to say: traditions and history are pointless, your Flavor of the month might very well be yesterday's news.

Thanks for taking the time for this writeup. Very informative!

• Like 2

I guess to me it just seems after a whole entire season of very long, grueling, seemingly endless days, letting it all just end there on the field where it should end-not the parking lot-in a somewhat relaxed and celebratory mood seems appropriate to me. It's done, so breathe deeply and hug or whatever. But what the corps wants to do is up to them.

The only thing that bothered me a little on finals night (I was there all three) that even when they showed the video montage of all the corps, the Cadets did not even look up at the screens and held their stance. The video is a fun moment to see what moments they choose to show. And to be fair I noticed Santa Clara members did not look up at all either. I didn't quite get that--the video has been a somewhat new "tradition" --can't they be allowed to tilt their head up to maybe see themselves?

Yes, I glossed a lot but followed the version (again compacted) in The Cadets book by Shaw and Cinzio.

Yours is the fuller version I respect. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Have a great weekend.

This is not the 50s, 60s or 70s when all corps honored the same traditions.

While I " get " your overall sentiment of what you'd like to see at retreat, the notion that " all the corps honored the same traditions in the 50's, 60's, 70's " is not something I ever experienced among all the Corps at retreat, and I was present for all 3 decades of it too. For just one example to cite, I recall a Corps so upset at the scores the judges gave them at Finals ( and all season long ) that at Finals retreat, they broke ranks, gathered along the sidelines, and played the song " Three Blind Mice " up toward the judges area, while the other Corps at retreat either stood silently at attention stoically not moving a muscle while watching that Corps spectacle, or, in the case of the Corps beside them, was seen in a highly animated manner yukking it up, laughing out loud, and seen grinning from ear to ear at that spectacle.

Edited by BRASSO

While I " get " your overall sentiment of what you'k like to see at retreat, the notion that " all the corps honored the same traditions in the 50's, 60's, 70's " is not something I ever experienced among all the Corps at retreat, and I was there for all 3 decades too. for just one example, I recall a Corps so upset at the scores the judges gave them at Finals ( and all season long ) that at Finals retreat, they broke ranks, gathered along the sidelines, and played the song " three blind mice " up toward the judges area, while the other Corps at retreat either stood at attention stoically while watching that Corps spectacle, or, in the case of the Corps beside them, seen chuckling at that Corps antics, in parade rest formation, and in a highly animated manner too.

I was not watching, but will defer to you. But does not this prove that there was a general expectation of certain behaviors (which were violated from time to time). And that no such expectation exists today. Although it might be amusing ... appropriate or not.