Cadets 2017

I can't believe we're parsing the words of one sentence said in a time when there is great tribulation in the Cadets and a time when there is jubilation in Cadets2. The pressure has to be immeasurable at times for those who run a top tier DCI corps. There are too many who are trying to foist their preconceived notions on one phrase much less an entire sentence. We all know Hop's stream of consciousness writing style. Heck, he rarely proofreads his posts! Let the organization enjoy its moment in the sun!

Couldn't it also be that Hop is the singular most-prolific public comment-maker of any drum corp director? I recognize that I can't call him a fat buffoon or a stupid jerk, but can I respond to his public comments without it being considered a personal attack on him?

For instance, can I say that the exuberance for C2's win might be tempered by the knowledge that 8 members of the weekend's judging panel judge for for YEA? I'm not taking away from his exuberance because, obviously, he knows that fact. Is it a reflection of him personally that he doesn't disclose those facts as readily as he does his personal reflections of the corps win? Is it a personal attack if others do?

I'm going to jump in here because I don't post very often and doubt I will be.

You know the answer. Fair comment is fair. I'm not saying - I doubt anyone is saying - we can't or shouldn't comment on the public communications of Hopkins or anyone else. You know that. And I think you know we're talking about something else. We're talking about the quality of the content or lack thereof.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

Mike, you did not offend me. No apologies needed. Just having a discussion. I hope in my zeal I did not offend you.

I stand by my point, however. It derives from years of DCP reading in which Hopkins is treated like no one else. The standards for this site for how individuals should be treated have clearly and consistently been lowered where he is concerned. I would argue that they have been violated numerous times and that the participants on this board are culpable for allowing it to happen.

I am not saying the post that launched me into this discussion today violates DCP terms specifically. What I am saying is it reflects a disposition among many posters to treat Hopkins in a way we wouldn't want for ourselves and wouldn't allow for others. There certainly is nothing else like it on DCP. Other posters, other people in drum corps aren't subjected to ugly and unfair scrutiny he is.

You can say there is more material to scrutinize - and there is. But as I said before, he's only running two marching bands and making a difference in hundreds of young people's lives. The fact that he's transparent and occasionally sloppy in in language doesn't absolve us from our obligation to treat each other with respect.

HH

No worries. I just always find it odd that George can also choose to not wear his emotions on his sleeve and consistently chooses to do otherwise, and somehow people are shocked that a forum as narrow as Drum Corps Planet (I can hear my wife snickering right now) choose to parse them. George is treated like no one else because he acts like no one else.

I'm going to jump in here because I don't post very often and doubt I will be.

You know the answer. Fair comment is fair. I'm not saying - I doubt anyone is saying - we can't or shouldn't comment on the public communications of Hopkins or anyone else. You know that. And I think you know we're talking about something else. We're talking about the quality of the content or lack thereof.

HH

Check. And goodnight all!

Love me some Cadets! Gonna dream about BEEF! and A&D, and Rocky Point...

• Like 2

It's not going to blow up if we all keep in mind that we're generally here because we love the same things about drum corps.

Again, I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure that we love the same things about drum corps. Not you, Garfield. I'm not sure many posters on DCP actually love drum corps.

It really seems to me that many posters here - now and through the years - prefer to run this activity down. And X's choice to ignore the essential qualifier is a great example. Here we have a director sharing his thoughts on his corps' triumph. He's thrilled and proud. Maybe he's a little sloppy in his language, but he's a drum corps director, not a novelist.

And X reduces it to ridicule. Not in the third iteration. Or even the second. Right from the start. Ridicule. And you know what? This is a DCI Cadets thread. Making fun of him after C2's DCA win in a DCI Cadets 2017 thread is nothing but ugly. Doesn't even rise to the level of gratuitous.

HH

Edited by glory

Couldn't it also be that Hop is the singular most-prolific public comment-maker of any drum corp director? I recognize that I can't call him a fat buffoon or a stupid jerk, but can I respond to his public comments without it being considered a personal attack on him?

For instance, can I say that the exuberance for C2's win might be tempered by the knowledge that 8 members of the weekend's judging panel judge for for YEA? I'm not taking away from his exuberance because, obviously, he knows that fact. Is it a reflection of him personally that he doesn't disclose those facts as readily as he does his personal reflections of the corps win? Is it a personal attack if others do?

Well, these judges have their fingers in all kinds of pies..DCA, DCI, Band, WGI....I worry that we'll take away from the extraordinary accomplishment of the members and staff of Cadets2 with this kind of implication.

Ah yes. The fairness appeal. Something never apparent when it comes to how DCP treats Hopkins.

This wasn't one post in isolation. It's the same rotten mindset that has infected this site for too long.

HH

Come over here. You need a hug. 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

So I'm the bad guy now? What's next? Somebody (you know who you are) going to call me a fanboy? A borg?

Quoting myself for the record:

This post (and those tagging on) is the peak of pique. In its complete disregard for the qualifier, it qualifies for moronic.

Didn't call anybody a moron. Didn't call anybody trash. But also for the record, let's all agree the truth is a cheap commodity around here.

HH

What is truth?

$1 to Pontius Pilate.

• Like 1

Mike, you did not offend me. No apologies needed. Just having a discussion. I hope in my zeal I did not offend you.

I stand by my point, however. It derives from years of DCP reading in which Hopkins is treated like no one else. The standards for this site for how individuals should be treated have clearly and consistently been lowered where he is concerned. I would argue that they have been violated numerous times and that the participants on this board are culpable for allowing it to happen.

I am not saying the post that launched me into this discussion today violates DCP terms specifically. What I am saying is it reflects a disposition among many posters to treat Hopkins in a way we wouldn't want for ourselves and wouldn't allow for others. There certainly is nothing else like it on DCP. Other posters, other people in drum corps aren't subjected to ugly and unfair scrutiny he is.

You can say there is more material to scrutinize - and there is. But as I said before, he's only running two marching bands and making a difference in hundreds of young people's lives. The fact that he's transparent and occasionally sloppy in in language doesn't absolve us from our obligation to treat each other with respect.

HH

Truth! The trashing of Hopkins has been almost encouraged on this site for a while now.