Cadets 2017

Again, I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure that we love the same things about drum corps. Not you, Garfield. I'm not sure many posters on DCP actually love drum corps.

It really seems to me that many posters here - now and through the years - prefer to run this activity down. And X's choice to ignore the essential qualifier is a great example. Here we have a director sharing his thoughts on his corps' triumph. He's thrilled and proud. Maybe he's a little sloppy in his language, but he's a drum corps director, not a novelist.

And X reduces it to ridicule. Not in the third iteration. Or even the second. Right from the start. Ridicule. And you know what? This is a DCI Cadets thread. Making fun of him after C2's DCA win in a DCI Cadets 2017 thread is nothing but ugly. Doesn't even rise to the level of gratuitous.

HH

X has pretty much been the most vocal and prolific cadets booster and cheerleader for a long time here. So you are way off the mark here. As I read it, X was musing how the man whose life has been Cadets for 30+ years could say the C2 performance could be in many ways a greater thrill. Seems like a reasonable thought to me. I didn't see X delivering criticism in this. At all. But, as you say, you haven't been around here much. Had you been, you would have been reading X's consistently supportive and positive posts this summer. Your reaction Vis a Vis X is wrong. In my opinion.

• Like 4

Some posters send out a negative vibe and are chronic complainers...don't need to point out who either....they seem to do a great job at it...all by themselves...LOL

So I'm the bad guy now? What's next? Somebody (you know who you are) going to call me a fanboy? A borg?

Quoting myself for the record:

This post (and those tagging on) is the peak of pique. In its complete disregard for the qualifier, it qualifies for moronic.

Didn't call anybody a moron. Didn't call anybody trash. But also for the record, let's all agree the truth is a cheap commodity around here.

HH

Just theoretically speaking, it would be fine to describe certain things Hopkins says as moronic then, right? As long as we're not calling the man himself moronic? This is a pretty fine (and a bit arbitrary) line.

There definitely have been personal attacks on Hopkins on here, but I think, anecdotally speaking, most commentary on him is in regards to what he says rather than the man himself.

Couldn't it also be that Hop is the singular most-prolific public comment-maker of any drum corp director? I recognize that I can't call him a fat buffoon or a stupid jerk, but can I respond to his public comments without it being considered a personal attack on him?

For instance, can I say that the exuberance for C2's win might be tempered by the knowledge that 8 members of the weekend's judging panel judge for for YEA? I'm not taking away from his exuberance because, obviously, he knows that fact. Is it a reflection of him personally that he doesn't disclose those facts as readily as he does his personal reflections of the corps win? Is it a personal attack if others do?

I don't see that any of the above would come close to being an attack (except for the fat buffoon and stupid jerk part, of course!).

I don't agree with your assertion about the judges...that they are not being honest in their evaluation because they judge a few band shows for USBands, but I don't see it as an out-of-bounds attack on Hoppy...if anything, you are making a veiled accusation about the judges.

X has pretty much been the most vocal and prolific cadets booster and cheerleader for a long time here. So you are way off the mark here. As I read it, X was musing how the man whose life has been Cadets for 30+ years could say the C2 performance could be in many ways a greater thrill. Seems like a reasonable thought to me. I didn't see X delivering criticism in this. At all. But, as you say, you haven't been around here much. Had you been, you would have been reading X's consistently supportive and positive posts this summer. Your reaction Vis a Vis X is wrong. In my opinion.

You could be right. I doubt it, however. I think the truth is more nuanced than that.

I've been around this board enough lately to know nothing fundamental has changed. The biggest thing that hasn't changed is the posters who want it both ways. They want claim to support drum corps, or a corps or even the Cadets. They tell us they buy t-shirts or tickets as if their support is decisive. They sponsor a marcher as if paying for part of a tour gives them ownership.

And then they look for scabs to pick. The sun can't set twice before any gossip is repeated and amplified as if it were true. They use cut and paste not as a way to inform but as tool for titillation. Not everybody. Not all the time. But some people way too much - especially on DCP and on the Cadets.

HH

Just theoretically speaking, it would be fine to describe certain things Hopkins says as moronic then, right? As long as we're not calling the man himself moronic? This is a pretty fine (and a bit arbitrary) line.

There definitely have been personal attacks on Hopkins on here, but I think, anecdotally speaking, most commentary on him is in regards to what he says rather than the man himself.

Of course. We all can say moronic things. I know I have. I am surely a moron for posting at all on this topic. An idiot too. Stupid.

HH

I don't see that any of the above would come close to being an attack (except for the fat buffoon and stupid jerk part, of course!).

I don't agree with your assertion about the judges...that they are not being honest in their evaluation because they judge a few band shows for USBands, but I don't see it as an out-of-bounds attack on Hoppy...if anything, you are making a veiled accusation about the judges.

I just don't want to see anything cast a shadow on Cadets2 accomplishment. My one and only concern. Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

Couldn't it also be that Hop is the singular most-prolific public comment-maker of any drum corp director? I recognize that I can't call him a fat buffoon or a stupid jerk, but can I respond to his public comments without it being considered a personal attack on him?

For instance, can I say that the exuberance for C2's win might be tempered by the knowledge that 8 members of the weekend's judging panel judge for for YEA? I'm not taking away from his exuberance because, obviously, he knows that fact. Is it a reflection of him personally that he doesn't disclose those facts as readily as he does his personal reflections of the corps win? Is it a personal attack if others do?

Did Hopkins pick the judging panel? Nope. Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

That's a pretty low standard, don't you think?

HH

i don't consider it a standard at all. I consider it common sense. If I came on here and started picking fights with the moderators, should I be surprised when they kick my butt out of here? And should I expect people to defend me because the moderators are being "hateful" to me?

Look, I am not interested in getting into yet another long diatribe about someone I don't know, have never met, and almost certainly never will. Just don't ask a forum solely dedicated to an activity as narrow as drum corps to have the unending maturity of a Bible study group when discussing someone as singularly (and completely intentionally) polarizing as George Hopkins.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1