Cadets 2017

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I can't say I am excited they kept the same head designer given that they placed 8th in guard last year and what, 6th in 2015? You'd think they would have made that change too. 

Joe has done well elsewhere. concept helps a lot too

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I can't say I am excited they kept the same head designer given that they placed 8th in guard last year and what, 6th in 2015? You'd think they would have made that change too. 

Glad that Eric is back from his SVC gig; Phil Traini (former Cadet guard captain under April) has done well with Phantomettes, Alter Ego, and Trumbull H.S. guards.

If the powers-to-be allow each in the caption to utilize his/her strengths, then Cadets guard will be in wonderful hands. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, corpsband said:

Capacity is a concern for soccer-only stadiums.   PPL/Talen basically sells out the home side.  You always like to have room to grow.   Larger stadiums might be expensive but they have capacity -- esp. in the sweet spot.

But soccer stadiums are FANTASTIC venues for drum corps.  Sight lines and acoustics are just outstanding. 

Exactly. It's a bit of a trade off in the capacity aspect

Show sponsor needs to work backwards from their budget profit-point. Just price the stadium seats correctly to make what you intend to earn off the show with less capacity. I will personally pay $125 or so for the "sweet spot" VIP tickets at PPL/Talen because it is such an exceptional experience. The new spot should be similar. They'll sell out the best seats - even though expensive - and end up hitting their goal for the event

Now from a fan perspective not wanting to pay "top dollar" hopefully they'll keep other shows in this Mid-Atlantic geography in larger venues with lower ticket prices. You have to appeal to different sorts of fans as an activity to broaden the base and keep folks happy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a smaller show in a big high school (low cost) stadium with seats in the $20-35 range and a line up with 2-3 World Class, 2 Open class corps, 1 small corps. Those slates have their own appeal and purpose also

And finally - agree. The soccer stadiums are just fantastic for drum corps viewing experience!

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Glad that Eric is back from his SVC gig; Phil Traini (former Cadet guard captain under April) has done well with Phantomettes, Alter Ego, and Trumbull H.S. guards.

If the powers-to-be allow each in the caption to utilize his/her strengths, then Cadets guard will be in wonderful hands. 

It's a VERY talented group - visual overall is. Should be a much improved visual caption this coming year, hopefully back to finishing with that top pack and not the pack below them :)

• Like 1

Agreed. I think we see a Cadets back up in the top grouping once again. Big visual designer adjustments made to compliment the strong captions. Excited for percussion. Think we'll see the resurrection of Cadet dominance in percussion. Also excited for brass. Mike is very very intense. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I understand. 

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I marched with Phil. But I don't know what his instructions are like so I'll have to wait and see. 

6 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. I think we see a Cadets back up in the top grouping once again. Big visual designer adjustments made to compliment the strong captions. Excited for percussion. Think we'll see the resurrection of Cadet dominance in percussion. Also excited for brass. Mike is very very intense. 

I wish I shared your enthusiasm but I'm still on edge. 

11 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I agree with your statement. And the percussion is already very good! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dans said:

I agree with your statement. And the percussion is already very good! 

yeah haven't seen them in person yet but I did see a (private) video from their last camp and WOW - and the folks I know who where there in person say the group is extremely strong - even better the last several years (which have been stellar)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

having known Bobby for 20+ years, and seeing him grow as a designer ( didnt he do Crossmen in 06 too?)......he knows his stuff. he challenges the performers, yet makes sure it can still be achieved. His designs over the last decade have truly brought DCA up to current standards.

His work for the Hawthorne Caballeros in 2007... outstanding. 

If they had a better horn line that year, they could have won.