Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, jonwoody said:

Not to be disrespectful but... George needs to concentrate on raising money and leave the show design to the people he hires. Don't want another 2016 anytime soon. As they say, the parade has passed him by and he needs to realize that.

I agree. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoaDci said:

There were parts of the show musically I liked.  Trombone feature and the french horn feature to name a few, but ge wise the show was awful.   2015 was miles ahead of 2016.  If I were the Cadets staff from 2016 I would have left too.

Show could have been fine if they defined the concept in ST. It was poor winter planning by the staff. I seriously doubt they'll put up their feet and be so poorly prepared this off season. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Show could have been fine if they defined the concept in ST. It was poor winter planning by the staff. I seriously doubt they'll put up their feet and be so poorly prepared this off season. 

Yes very true.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aLittleBird said:

I don't understand this. If anybody asked you what one of the most innovative corps in the history of the activity is, you would immediately answer Cadets. They fundamentally altered the activity in a plethora of ways, and each one started out as a wild gamble. Yes, there are things they haven't changed, but does that mean they SHOULD not change? Hop was going to put them in costumes in 2016 but was afraid of the backlash from folks like you-- maybe if the uniforms were more statuesque, they would have been bumped the fraction of the point they needed for 5th, or even 4th. 

Theater and movement ARE the recipe for competitive success in the activity and you know as well as I do.

I doubt it. Cadets were 1.262 from 5th and 2.537 from 4th. SCV was closer to 1st than Cadets were to SCV.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I doubt it. Cadets were 1.262 from 5th and 2.537 from 4th. SCV was closer to 1st than Cadets were to SCV.

Agreed. It wasn't Cadets year. Also constant huge changes in content have a very negative effect on judge's perceptions. If you can't figure out your show, how can we! 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2017 at 3:19 PM, Lance said:

Not sure I agree with this completely. 

The Cadets are at their best when they take risks and create new traditions and create ripples in what is and isn't possible (allowed?) in the activity. 2005 and 2011 are great examples of breaking with some traditions and creating new ones that paid off. 

I do prefer the Cadets way of handling retreat compared to most others, don't get me wrong. Not what I was really talking about. 

There is a big difference between going out of "your" box and totally giving up your identity. They lost their marching technique (mostly due to the black uniforms l), initially gave up all drill for running and poising, (always known for their wonderful drills). I like their retreat format. Let's get make it a bit more Cadets next season. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

I know the Cadets are in the shako of silence, but I've started hoping for Russian hackers to leak some tidbits of info. I'm so weak!

• Like 2

I'm just going to say it:

I'm really looking forward to what The Cadets have to offer for 2017. Most corps at this level bounce back the next year.  

Maybe we should just get used to saying "Top 6" again rather than just "top 3" or "top 5".  Any corps who scores above the 92-93 range at finals is very special.

Those that score above 90 are really, really, good. Those corps above 80 are good as well.  I'm sure that The Cadets will offer something that will make them very special.

Maybe it's a good time to get a little bit of information about the shows?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm just going to say it:

I'm really looking forward to what The Cadets have to offer for 2017. Most corps at this level bounce back the next year.  l.

Maybe it's a good time to get a little bit of information about the shows?

With the Delran camp next weekend, maybe info will be leaking out, if Tekk allows it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

There is a big difference between going out of "your" box and totally giving up your identity. They lost their marching technique (mostly due to the black uniforms l), initially gave up all drill for running and poising, (always known for their wonderful drills). I like their retreat format. Let's get make it a bit more Cadets next season. 

There's a big difference between what I said and the Cadets "totally giving up" their identity.

It's a matter of degree. I agree with most of what you said, just not the rather absolute nature of the way you phrased it. 

There was a point in time where virtually everything we consider "signature Cadets" constituted significant change for the activity. That's when they're at their best. I choose to celebrate it. It's fine that you and people who agree with you don't.