Cadets 2017

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

None of those things qualify as "new" to drum corps.

- Stationary soloists have been a staple in DCA for decades.  Quite sure that the Cadets organization, which now has a DCA entry, is aware of that.

- Featured "violin" soloist was done by Oregon Crusaders in 2014, and Columbians in 2013.  The instrument has made other cameo appearances in drum corps dating back to 2009 (PR).

- Colt Cadets integrated a choir into their show way back in 2004, the first year of amplification.  They even used eight vocalists. 

I am sure there is something Cadets have done recently that could be characterized as a "first" for drum corps - like the full concert French horn section features, or some aspects of prop/stage usage.  Someone else should have better luck identifying such things.

Knowing history is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I am sure there is something Cadets have done recently that could be characterized as a "first" for drum corps - like the full concert French horn section features, or some aspects of prop/stage usage.  Someone else should have better luck identifying such things.

Semi-naked man sitting still throughout most of a show?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

You seem so unhappy anymore..

Yes - all those things have been done elsewhere. Gotta be honest - I was considering world class DCI (Clearly)

BD's opening move last year (wave) came from a dance troop. Slides have been used before (Coats). Banners used before (Crown). Trampolines used in both WGI and BOA etc etc... 

Used in new and different ways is often today's mark of innovation. Which was the point I was making. There is a difference between innovation/creativity and "first time ever" 

Now cheer up!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yes - all those things have been done elsewhere. Gotta be honest - I was considering world class DCI (Clearly)

BD's opening move last year (wave) came from a dance troop. Slides have been used before (Coats). Banners used before (Crown). Trampolines used in both WGI and BOA etc etc... 

Used in new and different ways is often today's mark of innovation. Which was the point I was making. There is a difference between innovation/creativity and "first time ever" 

Now cheer up!

Agreed. Most things have been done by marching bands and Open Class groups who tend to be the risk takers. It's when a top WC group pulls and effectively implements those concepts is when the accolades are given. 

BD and Bloo have been the consistent winners in this area.

Cadets have been the least effective. I'm happy they are putting so much emphasis into the design team for the upcoming season. Cadets are always a design away from a championship and that won't change in 2017. 

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Now cheer up!

Innovate: to introduce something new; make changes in anything established (Innovate, n.d.). 

So since everything you've mentioned isn't "something new" or changed in something established, it wouldn't really be counted as innovative. I don't believe in being innovative simply for the sake of the word. There's only so much "innovating" that can be done in drum corps nowadays besides changing your entire uniform, sliding off ramps, or pushing around covered wagons on the field.

It would probably be better if you said exactly what was on your mind instead of leaving people to infer what we think you meant, less you look like the hype machine.

I am not exactly sure where you're getting any unhappiness from me as I really have nothing about which to be unhappy. The phrase was simply pointing out how important it is to know history which seems to be relatively forgotten nowadays.

Reference:

"Innovate." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2017. <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/innovate?s=t>.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt :blink::crazy:

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Innovate: to introduce something new; make changes in anything established (Innovate, n.d.). 

So since everything you've mentioned isn't "something new" or changed in something established, it wouldn't really be counted as innovative. I don't believe in being innovative simply for the sake of the word. There's only so much "innovating" that can be done in drum corps nowadays besides changing your entire uniform, sliding off ramps, or pushing around covered wagons on the field.

It would probably be better if you said exactly what was on your mind instead of leaving people to infer what we think you meant, less you look like the hype machine.

I am not exactly sure where you're getting any unhappiness from me as I really have nothing about which to be unhappy. The phrase was simply pointing out how important it is to know history which seems to be relatively forgotten nowadays.

Reference:

"Innovate." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2017. <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/innovate?s=t>.

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

None of those things qualify as "new" to drum corps.

- Stationary soloists have been a staple in DCA for decades.  Quite sure that the Cadets organization, which now has a DCA entry, is aware of that.

- Featured "violin" soloist was done by Oregon Crusaders in 2014, and Columbians in 2013.  The instrument has made other cameo appearances in drum corps dating back to 2009 (PR).

- Colt Cadets integrated a choir into their show way back in 2004, the first year of amplification.  They even used eight vocalists. 

To do that you'd have to have people well entrenched in their views be willing to go for it. It's no secret Hop is all about 80's and 90's run and gun while the game has adapted to "staged" moments. Visually to me, nothing seemed fresh or new since 11. The black uniforms killed the effect of the Zpull. 

Musivally ive seen more willingness to gamble, but not enough to write home about. 

And if if they're going to tell stories, they need to hire a writer who can do plot lines 

• Like 1

I just want a corps to wow me with level of excellence and what's going on sound and visually and how it works. I could care less if elements have been done before or not. Just want goosebumps over an intellectual show. Hopefully we're moving past the intellectual show and into an entertaining show winning as we saw last year. Hardly the cleanest show but by far the most entertaining winning it last year