Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Since I'm in the Cadets thread, I am focused on the Cadets' usage of props, which over the past few years, haven't been effective. 

Pretty inevitable for just about any competitive corps to have props. I people can be a little too critical of the Cadets props sometimes. I (unpopularly) really liked the '13 ones. Just enjoyed the color scheme and the splash they brought to the field. 14's stage... well, it was '14. '15's were really, really cool IMO. Very simple, but they had a lot if interesting uses in the show for what they were; little box things. I wish '16's looked a little better. I think Cadets props are going to look a little on the shabby side if they don't start hiring professionals to make them. God knows Crown (probably) didn't make that stagecoach with a team of a couple volunteers.

Other than that, I really don't think it's possible to speculate about these things, given that all we have is Show Title.

As for the new equipment truck, I think it was always going to happen at some point.. A lot of corps already roll with two and I seem to have a distant memory of Hop talking about how the org was trying to put it off for as long as they could so they didn't have to worry about the extra vehicle and the cost it'd rack up. I'm curious to see if it's just going to be a rent-for-the-summer deal or if it's going to be a permanent fixture of their fleet. I imagine that given YEA! has enough dosh to field two corps, an equipment truck won't be too much of a strain.

• Like 1

Carolina Crown got along just fine in 2015 without any props on the field unless you wanna get technical and call tarps and material a prop.  Not having props didn't cost them that win.  

It's not what you use it's how you use it......

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

And 2009...and 2012...and kinda 2013 for that matter.  Oh, look what happened when they went prop crazy in 2014 to their visual program.  

2014 was poor design and poor planning.   A few folks thought they were good enough to "wing it" and sadly they could not.   The talent on the field was let down that season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Carolina Crown got along just fine in 2015 without any props on the field unless you wanna get technical and call tarps and material a prop.  Not having props didn't cost them that win.  

It's not what you use it's how you use it......

2009 and 2012, in my opinion, aren't in the same chapter of the history book as we're in now. I generally think that 2013 on (with Crown's new dance uniforms) started a shift to more artsy programming, but I guess that's neither here nor there

Crown, specifically, doesn't normally use a lot of props. You're right. I think that when held up to most other corps though, my thoughts on the matter stand on pretty solid ground. I mean, the entire rest of the top 7 or so  use props every single year, and have for the last few seasons, not to mention everyone else who seem to have an on-again off-again relationship with them. 

You'll also notice I didn't say anything about a competitive advantage or disadvantage. I mentioned most competitive corps fielding props, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that's not true. Most competitive corps use props.

Edit: I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that it's a bit silly to expect the Cadets to be any different because it hasn't gotten them a medal in the last... two years. Poorly implemented props don't mean the Cadets shouldn't use props, or that they're somehow bad. Just that design has to be solid and very conscious of the props. If I had to guess, the extra truck of props will be for the singers.

Edited by aLittleBird

so now we are discussing the fact that props can either be effective or ineffective?

what's next - precipitation can fall in either liquid or frozen state? lol

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

so now we are discussing the fact that props can either be effective or ineffective?

what's next - precipitation can fall in either liquid or frozen state? lol

After a scary August/September exodus, things have settled and I'm very excited to see what Cadets do this season. I suspect we'll see traditional acknowledgements in serious marching technique and uni colors combined with an interesting palate of new design elements from alumni that haven't been with the corps in some time along with some talented outsiders. Kids I talk with won't say anything about the show but are very excited.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1