Cadets 2017

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Reference the last sentence of the below post: 

And I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. I just refuse to be hyped up after 5 years of being excited only to be disappointed at the end of the season. Cadets have a lot of making-up to do (with me). 

(Not necessarily directed at you, Corpsband), just pointing out the last sentence which pretty much summarizes what I feel right now.)

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Maybe a bit of an over-reaction to someone who simply says lets wait and see? 

If you had listened to George (and a few others) early last season,  Cadets were going to win the championship running away.   I don't blame Tekk for not buying into some of the pre-season hype this year.  

Maybe I did overreact. It just bugs me that the "big let down" is whether the corps medals or wins or what have you. To me, that's not really the point. It's okay to be excited just for the sake of it being summer and it being corps season again, and getting to see your guys. It's cool to be excited about that. If the metric by which you were allowed to be excited for a corps was their likelihood of medaling, you could only ever be excited to see about 4 drum corps any given year. Sure, 2016 was a letdown because the show was below the level the Cadets usually perform at-- but it was the wildest dream placement of a lot of other corps. 

Even if you feared the worst, in my opinion there is a difference between "wait and see" and having about 10 pages worth of content in this thread of "I am not excited for this season, refuse to be excited for this season" etc. There's a point where it becomes pessimism, and that's kind of disheartening when the activity (in my mind) is just about watching some cool drill and listening to some good music.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aLittleBird said:

Even if you feared the worst, in my opinion there is a difference between "wait and see" and having about 10 pages worth of content in this thread of "I am not excited for this season, refuse to be excited for this season" etc. There's a point where it becomes pessimism, and that's kind of disheartening when the activity (in my mind) is just about watching some cool drill and listening to some good music.

If someone is building a bonfire of hype,  what's wrong with throwing some buckets of water on it to keep it under control?

Granted -- It might be a bit frustrating to the would-be fire builders,  but it's just as legitimate a POV as any other.

If one is looking for a fan base that tends to engage in over hype here on DCP, its none of the east coast based Corps, imo. Its the Madison Scouts.. Man, I love this Corps, and its alums and fans. But jeez louise, the off season hype that tends to come out of the Madison Scouts fanbase every off season is a cut above the rest, imo. (lol!). And I WANT this Corps to someday match the offseason and the early season hype too.

Edited by BRASSO

13 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If one is looking for a fan base that tends to engage in over hype here on DCP, its none of the east coast based Corps, imo. Its the Madison Scouts.. Man, I love this Corps, and its alums and fans. But jeez louise, the off season hype that tends to come out of the Madison Scouts fanbase every off season is a cut above the rest, imo. (lol!). And I WANT this Corps to someday match the offseason and the early season hype too.

I have only been here recently, but Id say this year its pretty equal.  Im excited to see what everyone does this year, I think everyone has made changes or is set up to do well this year.

Everyone just wants their corps to succeed, I understand being a little skeptical if you personally have been let down by the product/results but there is a point where you have to have a little bit of faith and hope that your team is doing good things and making the right decisions.  Even just a lil teeny tiny bit.  I understand some skepticism but it's pretty disheartening to see some people lose every last ounce of hope.  If people want to show a little bit of optimism let them, no one is saying this year they're going to bounce back and medal/win/etc. or saying they're going to have the best show ever.  It sounds like people who are in the know are seeing some positive things and for the time being they're liking what they're seeing, nothing wrong with that.  

And if you want to wait and see the proof in the show come June that's fine too, but jeez it's getting super heated on here as of late concerning people who are excited and people who don't wanna hear the hype in fears of it not coming to fruition.  I don't understand the attack on people getting a little bit excited in the offseason, I'm never scared to say something has me pretty pumped.  Maybe that's because the corps I am a fan of a little more than the rest have been doing pretty well as of late (Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Stars, The Academy, Cascades, etc.) but even when Blue Stars had a few years of rocky placement and show design decisions that did not bode well at all especially in 2012 I didn't let that make me think they were never gonna get back into finals.  I was a little cautious but still optimistic they'd fix it and they did.  I didn't march and I don't have any affiliation so I probably don't have any room to be talking about sticking through your team through some tougher times but I don't think a lil bit of hope and optimism ever killed anyone. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I have only been here recently, but Id say this year its pretty equal.  Im excited to see what everyone does this year, I think everyone has made changes or is set up to do well this year.

Basically, I really see nothing really wrong with a fan base that hypes a Corps, or in sports, hypes their favorite sports team, when we pause and really think about it. I mean.. whats the harm ? if in the end, the results don't match the hype, who is most frustrated ? The fans of that Corps/ team ? or the opponents fans ? Well, its the former, not the latter. Besides, where does the term " fan " derive from with its etymology ? Well " fan " is short for " fanatic ". And being a " fanatic " is naturally an emotional response, not mostly an intellectual endeavor. Its a leap of faith. And lest we forget, while we tend to focus here on the hype that does not materialize, sometimes the hype WAS  warranted, as future events unfold and prove the hype to be warranted.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Basically, I really see nothing really wrong with a fan base that hypes a Corps, or in sports, hypes their favorite sports team, when we pause and really think about it. I mean.. whats the harm ? if in the end, the results don't match the hype, who is most frustrated ? The fans of that Corps/ team ? or the opponents fans ? Well, its the former, not the latter. Besides, what the term " fan " derive from in its etymology ? Well " fan " is short for " fanatic ". And being a " fanatic " is naturally an emotional response, not mostly an intellectual endeavor. Its a leap of faith. And lest we forget, while we tend to focus here on the hype that does not materialize, sometimes the hype WAS  warranted, as future events unfold and prove the hype to be warranted.

Yeah Id say DCP is really the only place I see that doesnt approve of hype.  Worst case scenario you get underwhelmed.  Otherwise though, hyping is good for the activity as a whole, it gives good reasoning for why a corps will do well.

1 minute ago, churchboy said:

That's funny Madison only has 20 pages on their 2017 thread. This one has what 272!

We don't measure hype however, by the number of pages. We evaluate the level of " hype " by what is actually posted.

• Like 1