Cadets 2017

5 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Not sure how you got that from the video.  Maybe from other sources :ninja: ?

Last year was "Statues Come To Life".  We got that very early on.  All the rest of it was...yeah...whatever that was.

I think he's just referring to the fact that many of the design elements seem to be in the works already.  Props are being made, costumes are in production, etc., which gives the impression that the design team has a clearer picture of what they want to present compared to last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I think he's just referring to the fact that many of the design elements seem to be in the works already.  Props are being made, costumes are in production, etc., which gives the impression that the design team has a clearer picture of what they want to present compared to last year.

So logistically ahead?  Ok.

Still -- after you say the title of the show,  I'm willing to bet a lot of the members still might struggle to explain what it's all about.  

Anyway it sounded to me like the design is still being developed and not finished it all.  But that's just my read..  

I do think they're probably on much more solid ground design-wise just due to the addition of  Bobby.

Just now, corpsband said:

Still -- after you say the title of the show,  I'm willing to bet a lot of the members still might struggle to explain what it's all about.  

Anyway it sounded to me like the design is still being developed and not finished it all.  But that's just my read..  

I do think they're probably on much more solid ground design-wise just due to the addition of  Bobby.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they're finished with the design.  It is February after all.  Just (hopefully) further along than they were last year.

Hell... even when the Cadets are firing on all cylinders design wise, they're rarely finished tweaking things until Finals.

Just now, chaddyt said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting they're finished with the design.  It is February after all.  Just (hopefully) further along than they were last year.

Hell... even when the Cadets are firing on all cylinders design wise, they're rarely finished tweaking things until Finals.

Agree.  With some pretty substantial "tweaks" some years.  

6 minutes ago, corpsband said:

By the time the season starts, if MM's can't at least somewhat explain their show, it means the staff failed to explain it to them. Which also probably means the staff does not have a firm grasp. The episode of Clash of Corps in which members couldnt describe the show was cringeworthy. How can you perform something...when you don't even know what you are performing?

36 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

By the time the season starts, if MM's can't at least somewhat explain their show, it means the staff failed to explain it to them. Which also probably means the staff does not have a firm grasp. The episode of Clash of Corps in which members couldnt describe the show was cringeworthy. How can you perform something...when you don't even know what you are performing?

Unless of course they're just playing, marching and spinning.   Easy to provide a motivation/emotion to each production for the performers without any sort of intellectual underpinning.   Do you think you needed a concept to understand Bloo last year?  I sure didn't.   (BTW I'm not arguing with you about the confusion last season -- that was BAD).  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I think his point was despite us hearing absolutely nothing, they've been working for several months on design. Work to do, ironing out of elements sure but moving along.

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Unless of course they're just playing, marching and spinning.   Easy to provide a motivation/emotion to each production for the performers without any sort of intellectual underpinning.   Do you think you needed a concept to understand Bloo last year?  I sure didn't.   (BTW I'm arguing with you about the confusion last season -- that was BAD).  

It's definitely show specific. Marching an abstract concept does not need a lengthy description. Power of Ten, Tilt, Downside Up...they fall into that category. But Cadets didn't choose that type of show. The theme between static vs. change wasn't clear until the end of the 2016 season. It should have been present on day 1.

All I am saying is that it feels like the ship has been turned around and progress is being made when compared to last year. Do I think Cadets will win it all? No. I'd bet on BD. However, debuting a cohesive design is a win in my column. 

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Unless of course they're just playing, marching and spinning.   Easy to provide a motivation/emotion to each production for the performers without any sort of intellectual underpinning.   Do you think you needed a concept to understand Bloo last year?  I sure didn't.   (BTW I'm arguing with you about the confusion last season -- that was BAD).  

I can't imagine ANY of the misfires of last season will be repeated. It was a big wake up call that just being the Cadets doesn't mean you can go out in June and compete in top grouping without a well planned and productive winter. Not sure WHAT that staff did last winter. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

It's definitely show specific. Marching an abstract concept does not need a lengthy description. Power of Ten, Tilt, Downside Up...they fall into that category. But they didn't choose that type of show. The theme between static vs. change wasn't clear until the end of the 2016 season. It should have been present on day 1.

All I am saying is that it feels like the ship has been turned around and progress is being made when compared to last year. Do I think Cadets will win it all? No. I'd bet on BD. However, debuting a cohesive design is a win in my column. 

They'll be much more competitive this season. Much better design team. Percussion will be stellar, brass competent and guard much better. Definitely added a bunch to guard staff  and having a show coordinator is a first for Cadets.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1