Cadets 2017

2 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

It's definitely show specific. Marching an abstract concept does not need a lengthy description. Power of Ten, Tilt, Downside Up...they fall into that category. But they didn't choose that type of show. The theme between static vs. change wasn't clear until the end of the 2016 season. It should have been present on day 1.

All I am saying is that it feels like the ship has been turned around and progress is being made when compared to last year. Do I think Cadets will win it all? No. I'd bet on BD. However, debuting a cohesive design is a win in my column. 

I think they were working just as hard on the design last season.   We tend to hindsight a lot of this stuff and rewrite history in our minds.  I'm willing to bet everyone thought things were in much the same place last season.  What's my point?  Guess it's that you don't really have any more insight into how things will actually come together until you start putting it on the field.  And even then -- you (the designers) "get it",  the kids "get it".  No guarantee that green shirts will get it.  

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

What's my point?  Guess it's that you don't really have any more insight into how things will actually come together until you start putting it on the field.  And even then -- you (the designers) "get it",  the kids "get it".  No guarantee that green shirts will get it.  

I'll grant you that. Everything appears good on paper. We'll have to wait and see. As of now? Things are looking pretty great

Edited by Brass34

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

I can't imagine ANY of the misfires of last season will be repeated. It was a big wake up call that just being the Cadets doesn't mean you can go out in June and compete in top grouping without a well planned and productive winter. Not sure WHAT that staff did last winter. 

Argue.

you heard it here first!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

I think they were working just as hard on the design last season.   We tend to hindsight a lot of this stuff and rewrite history in our minds.  I'm willing to bet everyone thought things were in much the same place last season.  What's my point?  Guess it's that you don't really have any more insight into how things will actually come together until you start putting it on the field.  And even then -- you (the designers) "get it",  the kids "get it".  No guarantee that green shirts will get it.  

They actually didn't. Far fewer meetings and fewer folks got to the meeting

And they feel in a much better place than at this time last year

But yes - you have a much better sense of how it is coming together when it starts hitting the field & you start getting judge and audience feedback

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

Please explain.  Who on the team is better than the person on last year's team.

1. I like that there is a show coordinator.

2. I like that the drill designer is fluent with staging and design and will add a fresh set of eyes to help the Cadets modernize while respecting their tradition as discussed the last night on the broadcast.

3. I like that we added John LeMire, Eric Babula and Philip to guard design team for a deeper level of writing. Eric did a great job with Cadets in 2014. (2nd at finals or 3rd). 

4. I like that Tom is back who is very strong in ensemble effect via his writing and critical ear which helps overall design. 

5. Lastly a much stronger visual technique staff in place. I couldn't believe how poorly Cadets marched last year. Worse technique ever. Again not sure what they did all last winter. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

So logistically ahead?  Ok.

Still -- after you say the title of the show,  I'm willing to bet a lot of the members still might struggle to explain what it's all about.  

Anyway it sounded to me like the design is still being developed and not finished it all.  But that's just my read..  

I do think they're probably on much more solid ground design-wise just due to the addition of  Bobby.

Huh? Do you know the title of the show? It hasn't been announced but it isn't a hard thing to understand or explain. 

The design is still being worked on. Uniforms, staging, color scheme - those things pretty set. The drill is being worked on and music changes still underway

And I agree - Bobby and others give them some nice solid experience. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

1. I like that there is a show coordinator.

2. I like that the drill designer is fluent with staging and design and will add a fresh set of eyes to help the Cadets modernize while respecting their tradition as discussed the last night on the broadcast.

3. I like that we added John LeMire, Eric Babula and Philip to guard design team for a deeper level of writing. Eric did a great job with Cadets in 2014. (2nd at finals or 3rd). 

4. I like that Tom is back who is very strong in ensemble effect via his writing and critical ear which helps overall design. 

And Tom runs incredible ensembles. So there's that.

• Like 3