Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Plus he'll have a creative staff around him that DOES have plenty of DCI experience to guide him and a caliber of membership that are very quick, competent learners.

Good point.

I know DCA is not DCI... it's a different animal, part-time vs. full-time, among other differences... but having been around DCA for a long time, and also knowing at least a little bit about DCI, I can tell you there are any number of great designers and teachers on the DCA side who easily could do, and have done, DCI work at a high level. Some of those folks work/have worked for championship-winning corps in both circuits (Gino is one who comes to mind).... some are happy staying with the all-age side of drum corps life.

NOT saying anyone here is thinking along these lines... but working for DCA, or a DCA corps, does not mean you're a know-nothing knuckle-dragger. OK... I might fit that description, but still... :tongue:

Whether Bobby proves to be a good fit for the Cadets... well... I can't predict the future. If I could, I'd be picking winning lottery numbers instead of spending time around drum corps. LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Lmfao you are absolutely PRICELESS! :laughing:

But how well will his experience transfer into DCI? That's my BIGGEST worry.

I am SO GLAD you included that link as it clearly gives the reason as to why I am keeping my emotions in check. It's all about credibility for me. I was one of the biggest hype machines last year and I feel that my credibility was shot by the end of the season. There is no way I will be that way this year; in fact, I will more than likely be a huge critic throughout the summer unless their show proves to me that I throw someone else's babies at them.

Whew... I can sleep at night knowing Tech will be on the job. being critical, checking the props in uncles garage before they are shipped to George, and being such a darn nice and polite human being that I enjoy coming here and hope one day we can get stinking drunk after a show and just say ""I have no idea what happened last night"  but have George Dixon give a play by play as to what went on lmfao :whip: :guinesssmilie: :hehe: :worthy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I missed him since the announcement that he was leaving. However, I think giving the new staff a little of the benefit of the doubt would be a good thing.

Change is good !!:fight: Wait.. Change IS good..:starwars:Wait ..come on now.. CHANGE IS GOOD!!!  :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Lmfao you are absolutely PRICELESS! :laughing:

But how well will his experience transfer into DCI? That's my BIGGEST worry.

I am SO GLAD you included that link as it clearly gives the reason as to why I am keeping my emotions in check. It's all about credibility for me. I was one of the biggest hype machines last year and I feel that my credibility was shot by the end of the season. There is no way I will be that way this year; in fact, I will more than likely be a huge critic throughout the summer unless their show proves to me that I throw someone else's babies at them.

Lol I didn't include any quote from you :-)   

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCA is a great circuit for newcomers ( staffers, marchers ) to cut their teeth and receive some great Drum Corps experience. Most of the marchers there are looking for a cost effective, limited tour experience ( mostly weekends ). Given the time constraints, the corps there and its marchers put out a fine product, imo. But its not DCI.

Bobby Jones, the  new Program Coordinator and Visual Designer for The Cadets, has lots of experience with DCA Corps Show Design.  ( Hawthorne Caballeros, Reading Buccaneers, Sunrisers )He's even produced 1st place Show Designs there for the Reading Buccaneers a few years ago. His experience with DCI Corps designs has been with the 2006 Crossmen ( 15th ), and recent years with Jersey Surf ( 20th-28th ). He has never produced a DCI Top 12 Visual Design for any DCI Corps. On the other hand, to be fair, he has never been given the reigns to a DCI Corps the last 10 years that was in the mix for a Top 12 placement position either. The fact that Jones has not produced a top tier Visual Program for any DCI Corps does not mean that he can not. It only means that he has been given an outstanding opportunity now to show the DCI world that he is capable of doing so. So it will be interesting to see what Jones has up his sleeve for the 2017 Cadets who really need him to step up to the plate and hit it out of the park for them this season on the Visual side.

And so from Brasso's wisdom we might conclude that by August, the rest of the DCI World Class will be trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Sure hope so.:lle:

• Like 1

Just now, xandandl said:

And so from Brasso's wisdom we might conclude that by August, the rest of the DCI World Class will be trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Sure hope so.:lle:

" Me and Mrs Jones,... we got a thing goin' on ". trivia question.. who sang that from BITD ?

3 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

Billy Paul, of course

We have a winner !

If The Cadets Bobby Jones can write a Visual Program as well that his namesake could Golf, The Cadets will be back in the lap of luxury in 2017.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes.  George Hopkins, presumably will do much of this guiding on the Program and Visual/ Guard side, with Kristy still there to guide Jones on the Guard side. Its reasonable to assume that they'll be no shortage of guidance for Jones should he need it at any point this season.

And thinking after last year, THAT won't happen.