Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Oh gosh. I just thought 2007 was off. The other recent years seem ok to me, though I would have had them personally ahead of cavaliers and very close to SCV last season

My point entirely. When they're down, they get obliterated. Surprised BK and Phantom didn't beat them..

16 minutes ago, Tobias said:

My point entirely. When they're down, they get obliterated. Surprised BK and Phantom didn't beat them..

And when they're up, they get rewarded perhaps more than they should ? or just when they're down ? How does this alleged Anti- Cadets " DCI bias work ? The Cadets have won 10 DCI Titles with George Hopkins at the helm. Does this ( your words above ) " toxic personality " of GH just create this alleged Anti- Cadets bias with the DCI judges perhaps in just the odd numbered years, ...or maybe in just the even numbered years ? How does this alleged "anti Cadets " bias actually work then if its not this, as  the Cadets have won 10 DCI Titles with the DCI judging community under GH's helm.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

That's a pretty #### strong statement.  

And it would require a vast conspiracy within the entire judging community.  

Gonna' have to call bull---- on that one.

The judging community for decades has shown partiality to certain corps. That is common knowledge. Those who have marched know what I speak of. It's not a secret. If you marched in the 70's, 80's, and 90's you know , Corps were prevented from advancing for years because of dislike for whom ever or whatever reasons. I marched with a corps that was constantly slapped down because the judging community disliked the Director and instructors until they couldn't do it anymore simply because the corps had gotten too good to ignore.

Just now, jonwoody said:

The judging community for decades has shown partiality to certain corps. That is common knowledge. Those who have marched know what I speak of. It's not a secret. If you marched in the 70's, 80's, and 90's you know , Corps were prevented from advancing for years because of dislike for whom ever or whatever reasons. I marched with a corps that was constantly slapped down because the judging community disliked the Director and instructors until they couldn't do it anymore simply because the corps had gotten too good to ignore.

Okay.

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

And when they're up, they get rewarded perhaps more than they should ? or just when they're down ? How does this alleged Anti- Cadets " DCI bias work ? The Cadets have won 10 DCI Titles with George Hopkins at the helm. Does this ( your words above ) " toxic personality " of GH just create this alleged Anti- Cadets bias with the DCI judges perhaps in just the odd numbered years, ...or maybe in just the even numbered years ? How does this alleged "anti Cadets " bias actually work then if its not this, as  the Cadets have won 10 DCI Titles with the DCI judging community under GH's helm.

I've wondered the same thing.  When this gets brought up it's not like one person sits there and gives them a score of 0 - 100.  It's 11 judges.  You're telling me someone ordered 11 people to align their numbers in a way so that a certain corps places a certain position.   And that's 33 over the course of a championship weekend.  Riiiiiiiight.  

Or maybe the (insert corps here) colored glasses just can't be taken off.   

Since 2009 when I started following they've won once, medaled 4 times, and won 2 caption awards and been close quite a few times.  It's not like they've had a dry spell of no success for a decade or something. 

Edited by DrumManTx

1 hour ago, jonwoody said:

Some of this alleged DCI bias amongst the DCI judges ( if it indeed happens ) most likely would accrue to the detriment of the lower placing Corps, rather than to Corps like the Cadets that have won 10 DCI Titles under the current judging system. For example, in the sport of Boxing, its common knowledge that in order for a challenger to defeat the favorite, or the Champion, the underdog challenger probably has to knock out the Favorite or the Champion, as to do it on score points alone is probably going to have the judges give the benefit of the doubt if you will to the Favorite or to the Champion... not to the underdog, challenger. In this case, its hard for anyone to make a compelling case that there is an " anti Cadets bias within the DCI judging community", when the Cadets have been declared the DCI Champion 10 times by this very same DCI judging community that is being alleged now to have this conspiracy to underscore the Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO

I would think things tend to even out over time, regarding which corps has won or lost a given championship.

You could make a case for Cadets losing a title or two that they won (1987 and 1993 come to mind)... and maybe they could have won a title or two that went the other way. So...whatever the circumstances, the fact remains the Cadets have won a boatload of DCI titles.

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I would think things tend to even out over time, regarding which corps has won or lost a given championship.

You could make a case for Cadets losing a title or two that they won (1987 and 1993 come to mind)... and maybe they could have won a title or two that went the other way. So...whatever the circumstances, the fact remains the Cadets have won a boatload of DCI titles.

Or 1985 when the start of Candide was completely botched. Even GH thought Cadets lost after that.

Just wondering how Cadets are going to announce, if they announce, their show theme and music?  Will it be a big splash on the steps of Lincoln Center, St, Patrick's Cathedral, Trump Towers?  Or at the local soup place in Allentown?  For only donors and FGH  (Friends of George Hopkins) or will it be broadcast from UPJ or UNO?  Since all the corps seemingly will be announcing, if they do, about the same time, how will a corps make their announcement stand out before they hit the field?  What do you imagine?

Those of us that have been around for a while know which judges are tougher on the Cadets than other upper eschelon corps. I won't name anyone, and I refuse to buy into the conspiracy that judges intentionally throw corps under the bus because of personality differences. However, there is repeated evidence in finals week recaps that some judges favor certain corps even in off years.

• Like 2