Cadets 2017

38 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Since all the corps seemingly will be announcing, if they do, about the same time, how will a corps make their announcement stand out before they hit the field?  What do you imagine?

'Hire a Hooters Girl to broadcast the name of the theme on live TV from a local Hooters....( Provided she can read the typed words on the prepared page given to her live on TV,.. of course. )

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

'Hire a Hooters Girl to broadcast the name of the theme on live TV from a local Hooters....( Provided she can read the typed words on the prepared page given to her live on TV,.. of course. )

I would stop complaining about the shako of silence if I was there live for the announcement...and if she brought me wings.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tobias said:

Goes to show you as judging has become more subjective, the anti-Cadets (probably more anti-GH) sentiment amongst the judging community becomes more and more apparent. I've said this numerous times, it probably costs Cadets one full placement a year.

I'm sure others have commented on this one (I haven't read the comments yet)...but I say this is one great big BS statement...

3 hours ago, wallace said:

Those of us that have been around for a while know which judges are tougher on the Cadets than other upper eschelon corps. I won't name anyone, and I refuse to buy into the conspiracy that judges intentionally throw corps under the bus because of personality differences. However, there is repeated evidence in finals week recaps that some judges favor certain corps even in off years.

I have little doubt many corps and corps staff would say the same thing.  I know a couple of corps claiming they been unfairly judged by certain judges at critical times, where their placement was impacted.  I also know of corps who believed they were judged more harshly than they should have been, just so their alumnus judge would not be viewed as favoring them.

Expect Cadets show announcement in the next couple Mondays - depending on when papers are signed and executed. 

I'd expect a "FB Live" video with Hopkins and probably the brass and percussion and drill guys to discuss a brief overview of the repertoire and the show arc/concept

I do think the reaction will be quite positive. Cadets are going back to their recent "roots" in a way

Re: DCI bias against the Cadets, I've never seen it. I think all the corps are treated equally with the possible exception of the Blue Devils. I specifically referenced 2007 because there was zero reasons BD should have beaten Cadets on semifinals or finals night. It wasn't close. Yet on the scores sheets Cadets were in second. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen

There are other "debatable" years such as 93 - Cadets were fabulous and Star was way ahead of it's time - those two corps were very evenly matched. I think most would recognize either (or a tie) as a reasonable outcome. 

BD is a question mark a few years. I thought Crown should have won in 2009. I don't think the judges scores caught up with a rapidly improving Crown corps the last week to 10 days

BD sponsors DCI via "System Blue" and many many judge connections via WGI to the DCI judging community. So there's a bit to cause questions in people's minds

Most years I think DCI does a good job with the scores. It's subjective so everyone is never going to agree 100%

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Sorry, maybe that lose living goes for Florida but in Allentown-Garfield-Bergen County, the traditional Holy Name colors have been (and are expected in 2017)  maroon, cream and bright gold, not orange, another Florida color.:innocent:

Edited by xandandl

4 hours ago, wallace said:

Those of us that have been around for a while know which judges are tougher on the Cadets than other upper eschelon corps. I won't name anyone, and I refuse to buy into the conspiracy that judges intentionally throw corps under the bus because of personality differences. However, there is repeated evidence in finals week recaps that some judges favor certain corps even in off years.

All the years BD won guard award there were years they did not deserve it. Not even close.

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I'm sure others have commented on this one (I haven't read the comments yet)...but I say this is one great big BS statement...

Well you now have many people on staff who have dealt with GH and orchestrated a mass exodus (hardly caring what it would do to the Cadets by taking techs and attempting to take members) so you really think judges that have no personal connection to Cadets woukd remain 100% objective after dealing with him? 

44 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

All the years BD won guard award there were years they did not deserve it. Not even close.

A very overrated caption. Excellent but several of the veteran judges were just ridiculous  with their numbers and placement. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Sorry, maybe that lose living goes for Florida but in Allentown-Garfield-Bergen County, the traditional Holy Name colors have been (and are expected in 2017)  maroon, cream and bright gold, not orange, another Florida color.:innocent:

Surely you are not implying that the state of New Jersey is more " traditional" than the southern state of Florida. And if you are telling us that there is more " lose living " in New Jersey ( a state " losing " population) then you'll get no disagreement  from me with that point .( haha... oh just kidding too )