Cadets 2017

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Totally agree. That's the camp I'm in. It's those who seem to automatically assume the worst that drive me nuts. I'm hoping!

Cadets will be fine. One #### year doesn't make for a spiral downward. The staff is competent, they know what made the Cadets the Cadets and we were told in the first Hoptalk on FB they'll respect tradition as they move forward. 

22 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Totally agree. That's the camp I'm in. It's those who seem to automatically assume the worst that drive me nuts. I'm hoping!

Some of us have very short memories. Have you noticed the considerable exodus of good talented people from the Cadets? Have you noticed the steady decline of competitive success? Have you noticed the number of bad shows the Cadets have fielded in recent history? Failures that would have gotten Mr Hopkins fired from most other corps. As a huge Cadets fan, I will try to be hopeful. However, recent history and the number of disappointments from the Cadets over recent years, make me very doubtful. 

14 minutes ago, dans said:

Some of us have very short memories. Have you noticed the considerable exodus of good talented people from the Cadets? Have you noticed the steady decline of competitive success? Have you noticed the number of bad shows the Cadets have fielded in recent history? Failures that would have gotten Mr Hopkins fired from most other corps. As a huge Cadets fan, I will try to be hopeful. However, recent history and the number of disappointments from the Cadets over recent years, make me very doubtful. 

Sans 2016, the Cadets have been fairly strong for a good stretch. 

2011-15 not many dogs in the bunch.  Many factors in rankings and scores but I think more missteps prior to 2011. 

As far as exodus, the only staff member I was sad to see go was Jeff. A talent and gentleman. 

Cadets brass has always been proficient (with or without Gino) and Cadets guard is in very capable hands probably best since the April days. 

Time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Sans 2016, the Cadets have been fairly strong for a good stretch. 

2011-15 not many dogs in the bunch.  Many factors in rankings and scores but I think more missteps prior to 2011. 

As far as exodus, the only staff member I was sad to see go was Jeff. A talent and gentleman. 

Cadets brass has always been proficient (with or without Gino) and Cadets guard is in very capable hands probably best since the April days. 

Time will tell. 

I have been to all camp's this off season and there is reason for excitement. However, modern drum corps is all about the programming and I have serious doubts about Mr Hopkins ability to program a modern show. He has given the Cadets some embarrassing stinkers. Shows that I could not sit through. 

43 minutes ago, dans said:

I have been to all camp's this off season and there is reason for excitement. However, modern drum corps is all about the programming and I have serious doubts about Mr Hopkins ability to program a modern show. He has given the Cadets some embarrassing stinkers. Shows that I could not sit through. 

Believe me, I get what you're saying BUT as I've said before, 2016 was a very serious wake up call. He's stubborn but not stupid. He knows he must relinquish design duties. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

He was also program coordinator in 2011. Was that a different era?

Yes. It was prior to "today."  

Funny thing. I noticed when in my car listening to CDs I can't hear any of the "horrible" staging issues or flawed visual design of the Cadets recent offerings. . All I hear is some pretty kick azz music. 2015 for example. My ratio of listening to Cadets (4th place, oh the horror) versus BD (gold medal!  Gutted. K-pop edited out. But oh boy "I wish" is in there, in the lamest voice it makes me laugh every time) is about 10 to 1. A drum corps season is a few fleeting months. Audio recording is forever. I'll take Cadets over the awe inspiring visual shows every day of the week. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

. As I said before, since you seem to be entitled to information, you should go ask the source. 

If you got the impression that I believe I am " entitled " to off season information from any Corps, let me disabuse you of that assessment with my remarks above on the " Cone of Silence " thread that ( my direct words ) " Corps do not owe us a thing in the off season ". Can that be any more clearer to you ? While taking this position, I also wished we had more info from ALL the Corps, and have been critical of their apparent tone deafness of the importance of the modern day social media available to these Corps to keep the fans properly engaged throughout the year.  Thanks for your repeated requests on this thread that If we want to know something about a Corps, rather than ask it here on DCP, we should go ask the Corps itself. I'll be sure to remember your advice next time, I ( or others) might have a particular question pertaining to a Drum Corps here on DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

He knows he must relinquish design duties. 

Staff Directory states " George Hopkins.... Program Coordinator ". Maybe its just a title, in name only.. who knows.  Only time will tell if GH has relinquished the Coordination of the Show Design Program as you state here that " he must " do. I have an optimistic feeling however that the Cadets will have a show that will be far more entertaining for most general audiences than last season's was. Again, only time will tell regarding all our expressed opinions here on this stuff too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Funny thing. I noticed when in my car listening to CDs I can't hear any of the "horrible" staging issues or flawed visual design of the Cadets recent offerings. . All I hear is some pretty kick azz music. 2015 for example. My ratio of listening to Cadets (4th place, oh the horror) versus BD (gold medal!  Gutted. K-pop edited out. But oh boy "I wish" is in there, in the lamest voice it makes me laugh every time) is about 10 to 1. A drum corps season is a few fleeting months. Audio recording is forever. I'll take Cadets over the awe inspiring visual shows every day of the week. 

The Cadets have been fairly consistent when it comes to the audio part of their shows. Almost always one of my favorite corps to listen to.