Cadets 2017

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Hopkins found the music, staff suggested the two color uniforms and the rest is history. Jeff wrote some good drill in 12 also but since then the drill has been pretty uninspired imo 

Agreed. The drill became very stock especially when you go back 10+ years and watch how the forms would flow and morph into something else.  In Jeff's defense, Gino put lots of pressure on Jeff with respect to brass positioning and staging and usually would win the arguement. The wonderful "chemistry" of the old staff was not really so wonderful. 

Looking forward to a fresh yet respectful approach for 2017. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Hopkins found the music, staff suggested the two color uniforms and the rest is history. Jeff wrote some good drill in 12 also but since then the drill has been pretty uninspired imo 

13 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. The drill became very stock especially when you go back 10+ years and watch how the forms would flow and morph into something else.  In Jeff's defense, Gino put lots of pressure on Jeff with respect to brass positioning and staging and usually would win the arguement. The wonderful "chemistry" of the old staff was not really so wonderful. 

I don't know about "uninspired". I just think the shows as a whole had a rough time competing with the other shows of those years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I don't know about "uninspired". I just think the shows as a whole had a rough time competing with the other shows of those years. 

I think the staff effectiveness ran its course. Cadets definitely need a new shot of adrenaline. I know last year WASNT the shot needed but hoping the beefed up staff this year does the trick. 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:49 AM, dans said:

Some of us have very short memories. Have you noticed the considerable exodus of good talented people from the Cadets? Have you noticed the steady decline of competitive success? Have you noticed the number of bad shows the Cadets have fielded in recent history? Failures that would have gotten Mr Hopkins fired from most other corps. As a huge Cadets fan, I will try to be hopeful. However, recent history and the number of disappointments from the Cadets over recent years, make me very doubtful. 

Then maybe you need to not come here until the show appears.. Don't want to see anyone stress out over a show and what may or may not happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tobias said:

For too many years, Jeff was the entire visual design team kind of holding things together (and trying to make some terrible choices work).   Cadets didn't hire another designer until Joey H. and  Joey always had Sal.   This year it's Bobby, Joey and Sal together.  At least there's a team. I don't know what we'll get (well we do know the aesthetics will be fabulous because Joey is fabulous at it) --  but at least nobody is alone on an island with Hopkins the way Jeff was. (Which BTW is why I'm pretty sure we're gonna see an entirely new Jeff at Crown -- he's got a great team around him).  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, corpsband said:

For too many years, Jeff was the entire visual design team kind of holding things together (and trying to make some terrible choices work).   Cadets didn't hire another designer until Joey H. and  Joey always had Sal.   This year it's Bobby, Joey and Sal together.  At least there's a team. I don't know what we'll get (well we do know the aesthetics will be fabulous because Joey is fabulous at it) --  but at least nobody is alone on an island with Hopkins the way Jeff was. (Which BTW is why I'm pretty sure we're gonna see an entirely new Jeff at Crown -- he's got a great team around him).  

Oh no doubt. I wasn't minimizing Jeff's abilities. He was just a prisoner to the music priority at Cadets. (GH and Gino especially). Now I'm sure Matt has lots to say at Crown along those lines also but yes, Jeff won't be the one lone visual voice in a sea of music guys.. 

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

I'm still bitter about Jeff leaving. But I can't wait to see what he does with Crown. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I'm still bitter about Jeff leaving. But I can't wait to see what he does with Crown. 

:shedevil:<<< Bitter Betty....lol

7 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Then maybe you need to not come here until the show appears.. Don't want to see anyone stress out over a show and what may or may not happen.

I have known what their show is for several months and I have seen the corps play most of the music. As I stated, programming is my concern for 2017. Programming has been their biggest issue in recent years. What music they play is of lesser importance than how they program the music into their theme /concept. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dans said:

I have known what their show is for several months and I have seen the corps play most of the music. As I stated, programming is my concern for 2017. Programming has been their biggest issue in recent years. What music they play is of lesser importance than how they program the music into their theme /concept. 

Cadets musically have always been strong. Even 2016, just listening to the CD the brass/percussion were more than proficient. Hoping this year they match the show construction/Visual at the same level as the music..then we have a Cadets that can compete at the top level as they did prior to 2016.

• Like 1