Cadets 2017

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Just wait 'til he's hired by BAC.  This has nothing to do with the personalities involved.  It has everything to do with BAC's shiny new staff.  

Sally was sad.  She watched Johnny and Susie playing with their toys and she thought "It's just not fair.  They have better toys.  Of course they have more fun".   

So Sally made a plan.  She would steal a couple of toys from Johnny and Susie snd then SHE'D have more fun.   So she did.

And Sally was still mad. 

Johnny said "I was tired of that toy anyway".  And Susie said "And that one wasn't really my favorite".

And Sally started yelling "Don't call my toys bad names !!"

And she yelled and yelled.  And stomped her feet.  

Poor, poor Sally.  She cried and cried all the way home.  

The End.

lol!.. However to follow the children's tale analogy here, DCP'ers are being told that " Johnny and Susie"  have new, bigger and better " shiny new toys " that won't have them miss their former " toys ", at all.... so DCP'ers wonder whats with all the continued whininess then in the DCP school yard from " Johnny and Susie " ?  lol!!

47 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I agree, they're proficient in playing.  I thought they got slammed a bit in performance captions last year.  It was just how the show is put together that hurt them.

Also lots of bleeding of Effect into everything.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

OMG I WENT THERE LAST WEEKEND!!!

It was nice for me to get back to Elizabeth... hadn't been there for a while.

I worked at the local AM station there in the 1980s.  We had all sorts of places to go to for lunch, after-work hangouts, etc.

Those Italian hot dog joints, the pizzeria right across Broad Street from our station  (George's, I think was the name of the place... the owner there called every female customer "Miss America"... LOL)... a sports bar-type place called Finagels, which was the official "go-to" spot for a beer or bite to eat for all of us at the station... a place on Broad Street that served some German dishes (don't remember the name of that spot)... and Goodman's of Elmora, an absolutely great Jewish deli in the Elmora neighborhood.  I can still taste their corned beef and pastrami triple decker. To die for.

None of us made a lot of money... but we sure did eat and drink well. :tongue:

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Also lots of bleeding of Effect into everything.

Yea, that's the story. I just don't agree with it. I can perfectly see a corps having the best hornline, guard. percussion while also having a bad show design.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Recap of the Hop Talk anyone?

Nothing about 2017. Hop was talking about his history in the Crossmen and how he ended up at the Cadets. Then described the journey of taking the Cadets from a rough start in 1980 early season to finishing 10th that year (their best DCI placement up until then). Also talked about building the staff of Zingali, Cesario, Twiggs....and going on to win their first Championship in 1983. Lots of stories of how everything developed. 

He mentioned how they were essentially the first ones to start moving the drumline around the field. Admittingly, it was because they thought it would reduce the number of tics, if the judges had trouble keeping an eye on them. But the result was a transformation within the activity and the invention of the crabstep. 

Just some cool stories and perspective. Still no updates for this year. 

Edited by Brass34

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It was nice for me to get back to Elizabeth... hadn't been there for a while.

I worked at the local AM station there in the 1980s.  We had all sorts of places to go to for lunch, after-work hangouts, etc.

Those Italian hot dog joints, the pizzeria right across Broad Street from our station  (George's, I think was the name of the place... the owner there called every female customer "Miss America"... LOL)... a sports bar-type place called Finagels, which was the official "go-to" spot for a beer or bite to eat for all of us at the station... a place on Broad Street that served some German dishes (don't remember the name of that spot)... and Goodman's of Elmora, an absolutely great Jewish deli in the Elmora neighborhood.  I can still taste their corned beef and pastrami triple decker. To die for.

None of us made a lot of money... but we sure did eat and drink well. :tongue:

I had just happen to drive down there with a rental I had to pick up something from that Jersey Gardens mall and I thought, "I should stop down for an italian hot dog" and behold, there was the spot a few minutes away. Needless to say, I was a fat kid that weekend.

3 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Nothing about 2017. Hop was talking about his history in the Crossmen and how he ended up at the Cadets. Then described the journey of taking the Cadets from a rough start in 1980 early season to finishing 10th that year (their best DCI placement up until then). Also talked about building the staff of Zingali, Cesario, Twiggs....and going on to win their first Championship in 1983. Lots of stories of how everything developed. 

He mentioned how they were essentially the first ones to start moving the drumline around the field. Admittingly, it was because they thought it would reduce the number of tics, if the judges had trouble keeping an eye on them. But the result was a transformation within the activity and the invention of the crabstep. 

Just some cool stories and perspective. Still no updates for this year. 

I love history.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yea, that's the story. I just don't agree with it. I can perfectly see a corps having the best hornline, guard. percussion while also having a bad show design.

That's how huge gaps open between corps in the last week of the season. Not going to dwell on it but percussion scores shouldn't be reflective of guard, visual or EFFECT scores otherwise just have 3 EFFECT judges giving the total score and call it what it is.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I had just happen to drive down there with a rental I had to pick up something from that Jersey Gardens mall and I thought, "I should stop down for an italian hot dog" and behold, there was the spot a few minutes away. Needless to say, I was a fat kid that weekend.

I love history.

I remember the house in Teaneck where they all lived. Kids would stay there, staff in and out. It was a Cadet think tank. Staff lived Cadets, they didn't teach anyone else or do anything else. No surprise those were the years Cadets rose from almost extinction to the formidable presence it is now 30+ years later. 

• Like 1