Cadets 2017

9 hours ago, corpsband said:

Here's the video so everyone can watch for themselves...

From the video I definitely think it's Bernstein. Based on George talking about the licensing, and especially the approval of arrangements, that's a straight up stipulation with the Bernstein estate, and is not a requirement with virtually all other companies/license holders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Technically, Hopkins said that their five minutes were better than normal, last year "wasn't bad," and previous years "were a challenge."

Perhaps "throwing shade" was a little stretch, but not much. He's clearly saying that Jeff Sacktig was late in getting drill, as he makes up the "previous years." Hopkins has previously complained very publicly about Sacktig being late in delivering drill. And you yourself said that criticism was deserved. That said, I'm sure he's happy about where the corps is currently.

I'm not finding fault, I'm just characterizing what was said. Frankly, I find it humorous. 

Cadets constantly got drill late. Last year they got drill, it just wasn't very good. Late drill is better than bad drill - hence sixth place. This year hopefully they will get drill on time and of high quality.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

What  new info I took away from this clip is that the Cadets will go back to their traditional Corps colors, but with a non cadet style uniform that will be unlike any uniform they have ever worn in 8 decades.... and that they will change their new costuming at least once during their 2017 show.

Yeah. This is a huge deal. It's kinda interesting that this hasn't been more of a topic this year. I remember, in past years, people being mortified at the thought of changing the uniform so drastically. Perhaps recent struggles have allowed traditionalists to change their mind on this subject?

I have always had the opinion that uniform doesn't matter in regards to a successful show. But maybe not... In a judging system that favors GE, this might be a necessary change in order to be a medal contender. 

5 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Yeah. This is a huge deal. It's kinda interesting that this hasn't been more of a topic this year. I remember, in past years, people being mortified at the thought of changing the uniform so drastically. Perhaps recent struggles have allowed traditionalists to change their mind on this subject?

I have always had the opinion that uniform doesn't matter in regards to a successful show. But maybe not... In a judging system that favors GE, this might be a necessary change in order to be a medal contender. 

I think with all the changes, plus the Bluecoats costume, Cavalier uniform etc, it's not as shocking as it was in the past.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Personally speaking, it's just a sign of the times. As much as I wish they wouldn't change the traditional uniform, I have conceded that the powers that be do not take the uniform to be paramount; shows nowadays are full-blown production filled with costuming, etc. And after last year, I am more concerned with their being competitive as opposed to what they're wearing. 

• Like 6

Honestly take away Blue Devils crazy sleeve (I don't mean that in a bad way) every year and ignore 2012 and they have kept a relatively very traditional look, especially compared to say Bluecoats last year.  

I don't think the style of uniform will do a TON, though something well designed and that aids the shows appearance certainly won't hurt, sure helped bring 2011 to life and depending on who you talk to might have hurt in 2015.

I am actually excited to see an updated Cadets look, I think an updated version of the classic uniform would look really nice depending on how it is done.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets constantly got drill late. Last year they got drill, it just wasn't very good. Late drill is better than bad drill - hence sixth place. This year hopefully they will get drill on time and of high quality.

In 2012 I think GH locked Jeff up until he finished drill. Last 2 min of drill wasn't written a week before the first show. Still wasn't done by first show but was a great closer by aug!

Regarding the traditional uni: It needed to be updated, for it does not work well with the choreography that, much to my chagrin, is a visual requirement nowadays. It gladdens me the corps colors are making a return, but as Tekk said, it's more about resuming the corps' competitive position that we've grown accustomed to. Great marching just is not enough anymore. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wallace said:

Regarding the traditional uni: It needed to be updated, for it does not work well with the choreography that, much to my chagrin, is a visual requirement nowadays. It gladdens me the corps colors are making a return, but as Tekk said, it's more about resuming the corps' competitive position that we've grown accustomed to. Great marching just is not enough anymore. 

Just keep it classy, is all I want from them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Just keep it classy, is all I want from them. 

Agreed. No graphic printed tree bark please

• Like 1