Cadets 2017

2 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Also this is first and foremost a youth activity. Young people want to create their own legacy and accomplish new things.

Yes, and No. The Corps marchers who pay the adults to make the decisions on costumes (and its colors, designs ) are not involved in what " fabric " they will wear . A handful of  AARP qualified adults make the choice of the outfits. and the youth are kept in the dark on it until the adults tell them to.. " go over there, and put these on ",( whether they like them or not). As for the shows themselves, the adults write the scoring sheets that increasingly reward the adult friends they know on the scoring sheets,where the adult created show design is increasingly rewarded on the scoring sheets more than the youth performance execution levels are. The adults think so little of the "youth" that today the adults think its proper to judge " the youth " in Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum judge, or without a Bugle ( Brass ) judge... or without a Guard judge, or any combination lack thereof, and for half of the" youth " competition season too.  Furthermore, Most fans know the names of the" youth " stars  in college basketball, football, and other collegiate sports. But except for a name here and there, lets face it, the " stars " that everyone knows in DCI are the adults, not the " youth " busting their arse in performance competition. Unlike most " youth" sports, all the Hall of Famers in DCI are all " adults " too. There are no " youth " in the DCI Hall of Fame,, and they all were voted on by other adults. Some of whom never marched in ANY uniform, nor competed in DCI in any Corps in their" youth". Some of the DCI judges are over 70 years old now.  They are well past their " youth ".  ( haha!) So be careful when you bring up that DCI is foremost a " youth activity " when there is ample evidence that its not quite the " foremost " that'd you like us all to believe... lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's easy to make that declaration if you have not experienced what others have. I believe there is a way to keep traditions while exploring new things. But I think it's totally unfair to dismiss the thoughts and ideas of "traditionalists"; those who have helped to make drum corps what it is today. While I agree that some are stuck in the past, and there is plenty of good reason for it, I also believe it serves both groups well to pay tribute to the past as well as embracing the present and future. It is possible to have it both ways. 

I agree with you. It's a balancing act. I still expect the Cadets to sound and move like the Cadets. It's important to maintain an identity. However, historically I've always viewed innovation to be their tradition, and lately they haven't been pushing the envelope. I'm just looking forward to seeing that again 

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I agree with you. It's a balancing act. I still expect the Cadets to sound and move like the Cadets. It's important to maintain an identity. However, historically I've always viewed innovation to be their tradition, and lately they haven't been pushing the envelope. I'm just looking forward to seeing that again 

I think whatever the new uniforms may be I have a feeling that  during the closer they somehow will appear in the traditional  Cadet uniform and the crowd will go nuts. If they haven't thought of that they should. Do whatever . wear whatever , but during the closer show how much tradition means and all will be happy.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Joey is Joe Heiniger (Cadets guard designer).  Probably best known for his work at Blackwatch (WGI guard).    Designs uniforms for A Wish Come True.   Also writes for Mechanicsburg HS (Kristy Templin's guard).  Worked with Sal Salas at Glassmen.  He's on the right in the video.  I expect his uniform for Cadets will make the Bluecoats look run-of-the-mill.  

One of his Blackwatch uniforms:

74e4081f30ca7dcee3fcd406eaea6c74.jpg

Here's his design for Matrix (WGI Percussion ) this year:

16649007_10154984337169798_6503611311474

Love it !!!! I hope he knocks everyones socks off with his design.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

your caption, Color guard, is where the most luxury has mis-routed the activity in my view.

Does 20 different types of flags really make the performance better? 

Does the costuming really respect the dignity of the performers or exploit our youth, male and female for the titillation of some? You and I have very different world views, point that will not be remedied on this thread. 

The shows now are constructed to show and have you feel different moods, sounds, feelings, so different flags and uniforms should enhance those things if the show is constructed properly. I got tired of every year seeing 27th and others with the same flags, doing basically the same moves. Now you wait to see what new and exciting things the corps come up with. As far as titillation goes I did have a problem with Crowns pants the first year since the junk was there for all to see. But once they corrected the issue there is no problem. As long as they don't get dressed as hookers and whores I am fine with whatever.

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

They are well past their " youth ".  ( haha!) So be careful when you bring up that DCI is foremost a " youth activity " when there is ample evidence that its not quite the " foremost " that'd you like us all to believe... lol!

I KNEW someone was going to hit me on that. And guessed it'd be you lol. You are correct, the kids don't have much say in design. Or anything. But they have a choice of where to audition. So I would think it's in the best interests of the staff to try to appeal to today's youth in order to generate excitement and buzz

• Like 4

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Joey is Joe Heiniger (Cadets guard designer).  Probably best known for his work at Blackwatch (WGI guard).    Designs uniforms for A Wish Come True.   Also writes for Mechanicsburg HS (Kristy Templin's guard).  Worked with Sal Salas at Glassmen.  He's on the right in the video.  I expect his uniform for Cadets will make the Bluecoats look run-of-the-mill.  

One of his Blackwatch uniforms:

74e4081f30ca7dcee3fcd406eaea6c74.jpg

Here's his design for Matrix (WGI Percussion ) this year:

16649007_10154984337169798_6503611311474

Hmmmm, I guess I could see something good coming out of that after all! 

9 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I KNEW someone was going to hit me on that. And guessed it'd be you lol. You are correct, the kids don't have much say in design. Or anything. But they have a choice of where to audition. So I would think it's in the best interests of the staff to try to appeal to today's youth in order to generate excitement and buzz

One thing we must not forget is that these youth do pay a sh#t load of money to be in these corps so it would be best for staff to appeal to today's youth as you stated.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonwoody said:

I think whatever the new uniforms may be I have a feeling that  during the closer they somehow will appear in the traditional  Cadet uniform and the crowd will go nuts. If they haven't thought of that they should. Do whatever . wear whatever , but during the closer show how much tradition means and all will be happy.

I had that same reverie.  If it is only one person, that's more than alright.

In 2011, they wore the maroons for some, whites for others, but kept the Pouncey brothers as DMs in the traditional. New and old together.

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's easy to make that declaration if you have not experienced what others have. I believe there is a way to keep traditions while exploring new things. But I think it's totally unfair to dismiss the thoughts and ideas of "traditionalists"; those who have helped to make drum corps what it is today. While I agree that some are stuck in the past, and there is plenty of good reason for it, I also believe it serves both groups well to pay tribute to the past as well as embracing the present and future. It is possible to have it both ways. 

Let's hear from JDFuncorps - a wise young man.

• Like 1