Cadets 2017

30 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Let's hear from JDFuncorps - a wise young man.

LOVE IT!!!!

6 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Aesthetically everything will work very well.   That's by far his biggest strength.

I hope so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brass34 said:

. I still expect the Cadets to sound and move like the Cadets.

I don't have strong expectations that Cadets will move like the Cadets with the excellence they have had since '82.

For one, the new designer has his own style as shown by other units where he has designed and taught. Same with the CG designer who seems to have a big say.

Looking at the '17 viz staff only one name impresses me as someone with a consistent record of Cadets' style excellence. The rest are imports, very few coming with backgrounds of DCI visual excellence

Last season's set of viz staff replacements over the winter was not successful, had to be replaced mid-summer, and still didn't find success. The flawed design which constantly needed to be re-written was only part of the field marching problem. Technique was NEVER there and was obfuscated by silly things, supposedly contemporary but not on the score sheets where it counted.  Injuries to the MMs continued in visual despite the changes and often because of the changes (jumping from props and stages, etc.)  

It wasn't merely a case of sour grapes by the veteran visual mainstays as if afraid to try something new. All found new positions with finalist corps. Look at Bloo's, Crown's, and now Boston's staffs. You will find their names for last winter and summer and now for '17

.No, I think the style and movement will be different no matter what the designer intends. When was the last time you saw Colts winning any visual caption, not even when Sylvester was there? Nice kids and corps, but not the Cadets style moving like Cadets.

'17 visual staff will have its own way and its own challenges.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jonwoody said:

. I got tired of every year seeing 27th and others with the same flags, doing basically the same moves.

However, 27th really wasn't around in DCI all that long. Plus, if 27th style wasn't ones cup of java, Velvet knights would be coming up in performance ( or some other Corps ) whose style, uniforms, etc stylistic approach to drum Corps could not possibly be any more different from the other. There was LOTS of diversity BITD between 27th, Kilties, Bridgemen, SCV, Boston, Velvet Knights, Guardsmen, Les Chatelaines,  Hawthorne Muchachos, Spirit, Madison Scouts, Dutch Boy, and on and on. Hopefully, in the near future, we won't lose that diversity, and where a Corps can wear a Cadet Style uniform, and another can wear baseball caps and red sneakers... I would imagine that few 21st century Drum Corps fans would want every Corps to look like a 1950's H.S.  cheerleading squad or a 1990's circus troupe, or like " Flo" the hatless Gal in mostly all white from the Progressive Insurance TV ad and so forth... then again, maybe less diversity IS what some newbies now are graving, who knows. But I think most fans want MORE diversity in styles, not a homogeneous approach. That said, unlike BITD, there really is only a handful of people in DCI that drive these decisions now. Michael Cesario, for just one example, has had an ENORMOUS influence in the modern attire in DCI... not only in Guard, but now in the Corps Brass, Percussion. BITD these decisions of Corps attire was made among FAR more people, and with FAR more diversity in their personal preferences for Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

However, 27th really wasn't around in DCI all that long. Plus, if 27th style wasn't ones cup of java, Velvet knights would be coming up in performance ( or some other Corps ) whose style, uniforms, etc stylistic approach to drum Corps could not possibly be any more different from the other. There was LOTS of diversity BITD between 27th, Kilties, Bridgemen, SCV, Boston, Velvet Knights, Guardsmen, Les Chatelaines,  Hawthorne Muchachos, Spirit, Madison Scouts, Dutch Boy, and on and on. Hopefully, in the near future, we won't lose that diversity, and where a Corps can wear a Cadet Style uniform, and another can wear baseball caps and red sneakers... I would imagine that few 21st century Drum Corps would want every Corps to look like a 1950's H.S.  cheerleading squad or a 1990's circus troupe, or like " Flo" the hatless Gal in mostly all white from the Progressive Insurance TV ad... then again, maybe less diversity IS what some newbies now are graving, who knows.

Diversity is good. Let's hope judges don't reward any one particular visual style

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

However, 27th really wasn't around in DCI all that long. Plus, if 27th style wasn't ones cup of java, Velvet knights would be coming up in performance ( or some other Corps ) whose style, uniforms, etc stylistic approach to drum Corps could not possibly be any more different from the other. There was LOTS of diversity BITD between 27th, Kilties, Bridgemen, SCV, Boston, Velvet Knights, Guardsmen, Les Chatelaines,  Hawthorne Muchachos, Spirit, Madison Scouts, Dutch Boy, and on and on. Hopefully, in the near future, we won't lose that diversity, and where a Corps can wear a Cadet Style uniform, and another can wear baseball caps and red sneakers... I would imagine that few 21st century Drum Corps fans would want every Corps to look like a 1950's H.S.  cheerleading squad or a 1990's circus troupe, or like " Flo" the hatless Gal in mostly all white from the Progressive Insurance TV ad and so forth... then again, maybe less diversity IS what some newbies now are graving, who knows. But I think most fans want MORE diversity in styles, not a homogeneous approach. That said, unlike BITD, there really is only a handful of people in DCI that drive these decisions now. Michael Cesario, for just one example, has had an ENORMOUS influence in the modern attire in DCI... not only in Guard, but now in the Corps Brass, Percussion. BITD these decisions of Corps attire was made among FAR more people, and with FAR more diversity in their personal preferences for Corps.

Flo is definitely what the judges/designers want. She's progressive.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brass34 said:

I'm actually a 23 yr old college grad haha. I do respect the past and I understand how the activity is funded. I just think it is irresponsible for those certain people to expect the youth to satisfy their nostalgic desires. If someone wants to take a trip down memory lane, go buy the Legacy DVD collection

I'm twice your age (and a bit) and I completely agree

Drum corps MUST remain relevant and appealing to the youth of TODAY - and it isn't about people who marched prior or the fans. It is first and foremost about the members.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, corpsband said:

Aesthetically everything will work very well.   That's by far his biggest strength.

I think it will as well. Sal overseeing the big picture helps also - very experienced  eye

I'm really interested in seeing the visual design and getting a sense of the strength of the basics/visual staff for the corps in 2017

On 3/17/2017 at 1:13 PM, Tobias said:

In 2012 I think GH locked Jeff up until he finished drill. Last 2 min of drill wasn't written a week before the first show. Still wasn't done by first show but was a great closer by aug!

now now, don't throw any shade... 

lol

• Like 1

I have no idea what is happening with the Cadets engine right now (apart from the change in staff) and have virtually dropped off the radar for the 2016 season, but as an alum I would love to see the traditional look come back. Before the flames arise, I am a fairly recent alum, but one of the last to wear a traditional looking Cadets uniform. As stated by another person who posted here, there is something behind wearing the uniform that those many, many years before you wore. In a chaotic transitional time, my personal view is that the members need right now is some sense of familiarity. I hope that the new incoming staff and design team can respect the traditions of the past whilst still being innovative, this is a difficult balance and a fine line to walk. 

Edited by BrassFan17
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BrassFan17 said:

I have no idea what is happening with the Cadets engine right now (apart from the change in staff) and have virtually dropped off the radar for the 2016 season, but as an alum I would love to see the traditional look come back. Before the flames arise, I am a fairly recent alum, but one of the last to wear a traditional looking Cadets uniform. As stated by another person who posted here, there is something behind wearing the uniform that those many, many years before you wore. In a chaotic transitional time, my personal view is that the members need right now is some sense of familiarity. I hope that the new incoming staff and design team can respect the traditions of the past whilst still being innovative, this is a difficult balance and a fine line to walk. 

Does not appear that that is going to happen.  In fact I suspect the cream/maroon/gold color choice really won't help make the corps look like the Cadets at all. Probably will only see that style on C2 (and who know how long that might last?)