Cadets 2017

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I do think they will work the >>> logo into it graphically. Haven't heard anything about the headgear yet - but I do believe they will have it (JMO) -- the >>> logo would look cool in place of an eagle on the front of a modern looking headgear 

Although some might philosophize that this would bridge the legacy and the contemporary, I find it a bit ironic as the current logo is based on the bric-brac on the sleeves of the Cadet style uniform. It is so based on it that some DCPers complained when it was revealed that the current logo, designed by an alumnus, looked too much like Phantom's chevron just as Garfield's upward G was a take off on the Greenpoint Savings Bank logo.                                                                                    

Is it time for a new logo for a new era/error?  It would be Great-Grandfather Hopkin's fourth during his tenure.                                                                                                                           

Edited by xandandl

10 hours ago, corpsband said:

What is this your "essential BD look"?  Because if I showed those two uniforms to someone who has not followed DCI over the years,  I doubt they'd conclude they are the same corps.    Again -- I suspect it's just the incremental nature of the many many changes.  

In any case,  BD's uniform has never been military-styled.  So when they dance, it doesn't look strange. (well -- it doesn't look strange because of the uniform).  OTOH the Cadets are saddled with a uniform that does conflict with the dance you might see in modern DCI.  And that's the point.  They don't need to go to a full-on "costume" style.  They just need something that doesn't make them look like soldiers doing dance moves :-)  

The bolded section... that's my main point.

BD's uniform has a flexibility to it... for lack of a better phrase... that allows the corps to do pretty much anything...any marching technique/style, any type of "modern-day" body movement, etc.

Their essential look... again, for lack of a better phrase... is that "cadet-style but not quite cadet-style" top... modified, changed, different color accents, whatever, at various times over the years... but still the "Blue Devils look."  

Cadets have had that "West Point Cadet uni" thing going for so long, that a change to even something resembling a costume style/partial costume style might be jarring to some... radical to others... definitely much different than their norm.

But I agree with you... the change doesn't need to be radical to make it work for them.

I just don't think the Blue Devils have strayed that far from the "norm" they established when they debuted their new unis, moving away from the satin-blouse look, in 1976.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic.  I don't want, or need, to get into a "circular firing squad" thing with you, or anyone.  :tongue:

I regularly check out the WC topics on the individual corps, hoping to get an update on what's happening with them.  I love the Cadets and am eager to hear about their show this year.  I live in the Nashville area and last year before the Vanderbilt show, I drove around the parking lots listening for the corps warming up.  Cadets' low brass were playing "Pines of Rome" and I stuck my head out the window and whooped at them like a teenager! 

This is page 354 - and I'm thinking that we may have lost track of something important about this activity that I witnessed this past Sunday afternoon at 2:00 in a middle school gym.  I went to the performance for family and friends of Music City's hornline from their March camp.  I actually got choked up during the moving performance of their ballad.  I was so touched by these amazing young people.  They all stood there in their red Music City T-shirts and every kind of shorts/pants you can think of - and I was blown away by the sound, by the beauty and power of those horns, by the emotions they poured through them. . .and by the sacrifice they are making.  In a time in our culture when we are so divided, so "at each other's throats" over things that WE CAN'T CHANGE, here are these drum corps working so hard, with such concentration and dedication - to bring us joy, to  make you laugh and cry, to take your mind off of what's going on around you that is stressful.  It seems kind of legalistic to be so wrapped up in the uniform.  I'll get a DC performance playing on YouTube and walk around the house, just listening to the sound, the amazing, powerful, moving sound of DC - and I'm not looking at the visual - just soaking up the beauty.

Edited by RetiredMusTeach
typo
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The bolded section... that's my main point.

BD's uniform has a flexibility to it... for lack of a better phrase... that allows the corps to do pretty much anything...any marching technique/style, any type of "modern-day" body movement, etc.

Their essential look... again, for lack of a better phrase... is that "cadet-style but not quite cadet-style" top... modified, changed, different color accents, whatever, at various times over the years... but still the "Blue Devils look."  

Cadets have had that "West Point Cadet uni" thing going for so long, that a change to even something resembling a costume style/partial costume style might be jarring to some... radical to others... definitely much different than their norm.

But I agree with you... the change doesn't need to be radical to make it work for them.

I just don't think the Blue Devils have strayed that far from the "norm" they established when they debuted their new unis, moving away from the satin-blouse look, in 1976.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic.  I don't want, or need, to get into a "circular firing squad" thing with you, or anyone.  :tongue:

Fran,

Uh, you're wrong.

Go back a few years and you'll find photos of their uniform was based on the formal dress uniform of the military to which BD added a shako and changed the color of the jacket to royal blue. They wore this uniform for many years.

BD76%20Final-100x100-crop_square.JPG

11 hours ago, corpsband said:

What is this your "essential BD look"?  Because if I showed those two uniforms to someone who has not followed DCI over the years,  I doubt they'd conclude they are the same corps.    Again -- I suspect it's just the incremental nature of the many many changes.  

In any case,  BD's uniform has never been military-styled.  So when they dance, it doesn't look strange. (well -- it doesn't look strange because of the uniform).  OTOH the Cadets are saddled with a uniform that does conflict with the dance you might see in modern DCI.  And that's the point.  They don't need to go to a full-on "costume" style.  They just need something that doesn't make them look like soldiers doing dance moves :-)  

58 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Corpsband:

Uh, you're wrong.

Go back a few more years and you'll find photos of their uniform was based on the formal dress uniform of the military, I think it was the Marine Corps or Army, to which BD added a shako and changed the color of the jacket to royal blue. They wore this uniform for many, many years. Oh these noobies to the activity.

BD76%20Final-100x100-crop_square.JPG Image result for photos of 1980's Blue Devils Drum and Bugle CorpsImage result for photos of 1980's Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps

Edited by xandandl

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Fran,

Uh, you're wrong.

Go back a few years and you'll find photos of their uniform was based on the formal dress uniform of the military to which BD added a shako and changed the color of the jacket to royal blue. They wore this uniform for many years.

BD76%20Final-100x100-crop_square.JPG

You're right... I neglected to mention that.  That circa 1976 uni was military-style. Had a look to it, though, that was, at least to me, a more "modern" take than the Cadets classic uni (which is still one of my all-time favorite drum corps uniforms, by the way). Maybe it was the tuxedo-style front that gave me that impression for BD,  I don't know. I don't know a lot of things.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Oops... hit wrong button.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

You're right... I neglected to mention that.  That circa 1976 uni was military-style. Had a look to it, though, that was, at least to me, a more "modern" take than the Cadets classic uni (which is still one of my all-time favorite drum corps uniforms, by the way). Maybe it was the tuxedo-style front that gave me that impression for BD,  I don't know. I don't know a lot of things.  LOL.

And thank you, xandandl,  for not calling me a noobie!!!  :tongue:

Heck... compared to some of the folks here, I am ancient history.  But some of those younger folks... they are authorities on a number of subjects, apparently.  LOL.  Through the generations, some things never change.

Edited by Fran Haring

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oops... hit wrong button.  LOL.

I owe you the apology as I too hit the wrong button. I wanted to bring your attention to my correction of Corpsband's history to which you also responded. The BD's wore the dress blues from the the seventies into the nineties. Heck, even when they switched to black and grey it was based on the Marine formal dress uniform. 

Edited by xandandl

37 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I owe you the apology as I too hit the wrong button. I wanted to bring your attention to my correction of Corpsband's history to which you also responded. The BD's wore the dress blues from the the seventies into the nineties. Heck, even when they switched to black and grey it was based on the Marine formal dress uniform. 

No apology needed!!!   That BD uni, when it made its debut in 1976, was so cool.

In the "useless drum corps trivia" department... DCA's Westshoremen ended up acquiring the BD satin-blouse uni after the Devils made the switch in 1976. I think Westshore had those old BD uniforms through the 1979 season. By then, some of the satin blouses were definitely showing their age.  LOL.